Birthday Boy

Printable View

• 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
    Photo Dad
    Birthday Boy
    If I've done this right you will see a photo of my favorite photographer doing what he enjoys most - photographing mountain bikers, in this case the Sea Otter Classic. Today is a special day for this photgrapher, and I want to wish him happy birthday and tell you all, as his father, that I am very proud of him both as a photographer, and more important, as a person. Smile, John.
  • 06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
    Photo Dad
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Birthday Boy
    Okay, where's the picture?
  • 06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
    mjs1973
    Happy Birthday PJ! Great shot Photo Dad!
  • 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM
    Photo-John
    Awwwww
    That's the best thing that's happened to me today, Dad. Thanks a lot! The picture is nice the day is going better than it was earlier. I have a lot to be greatful for.
  • 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
    adina
    Re: Awwwww
    Well Happy Birthday PJ!

and boy, you sure look cool when you working :)
  • 06-06-2005, 04:50 PM
    Lara
    Re: Awwwww
    Happy Birthday John!!

You've got a great son there Photo Dad. :)
  • 06-06-2005, 04:53 PM
    Trevor Ash
    Happy B-Day! Cool photo too!
  • 06-06-2005, 05:51 PM
    Gerry Widen
    Happy Birthday PJ. It is nice to have a father who is into photography. Did you get him into it or the other way around. BTW before I forget looks like you could use a haircut.
  • 06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
    Photo-John
    My Dad Is My Inspiration
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    Happy Birthday PJ. It is nice to have a father who is into photography. Did you get him into it or the other way around. BTW before I forget looks like you could use a haircut.

Yeah - I sure could use a haircut. Where are those clippers??!?

My dad always took pictures. He's the reason I'm a photographer. I remember the cool Exacta he had when I was little. It had a ground glass viewfinder that popped up like a twin lens reflex. It was beautiful. It got taken on a rafting trip once and that was the end of it.

He also had an old Nikon F, with a big dent in the finder. That's the camera that I learned to use first. When I was 14, I would take crappy skateboard pictures with that camera. He still has it. But he uses my old EOS 3 we gave him for his birthday, a few years ago. He only has one lens. The 70-200 f/4L. If you're only going to have one, it might as well be a good one.

He gave me my first real camera - a Pentax Program Plus with a 50mm lens - when I graduated from high school. I had that camera until I was about 23.

Thanks, Dad.

And thanks for asking, Gerry.
  • 06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
    Lionheart
    Who is that lean mean photographing machine?
    Happy Birthday PJ :) So that's what you look like in action ;)
    So, how young are you? :D
  • 06-06-2005, 07:12 PM
    Photo-John
    Lean?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionheart
    Happy Birthday PJ :) So that's what you look like in action ;)
    So, how young are you? :D

I am 38, today. I don't know if that's young or old. Sometimes I feel old, but I pretty much always behave young. What's the point if you can't have fun?
  • 06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
    Lionheart
    Re: Lean?
    Definitely young. I'm older than you, that makes you young ;)
  • 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM
    another view
    Definately old. :p Yeah, by a whole two years...!

Happy birthday, John!
  • 06-06-2005, 08:15 PM
    almo
    John! Birthday! Happy!

Awesome picture! PJ's Daddy!

BTW 38 is fartin' dust old. At least from my 25 year old eyes....:p
  • 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
    walterick
    Alright! Happy Birthday PJ! Nice to see ya Photo-Dad!

Rick
  • 06-06-2005, 08:26 PM
    Dzerzhinski46
    "You say its your birthday,
    Well its my birthday too yeah, (well, not really, but thats how the song goes :D)
    You say its your birthday,
    We're gonna have a good time..."

Happy birthday, and all that. Think of it this way, at 38, you are just hitting your stride. And in dog years, you would be 266. Hmmmmm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that.

Regards,

Drew
  • 06-06-2005, 10:11 PM
    almo
    I used to have a pentium 266. It was slowwwww..... :p
  • 06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
    jar_e
    Happy Birthday John. Birthday bumps too?:p
  • 06-07-2005, 04:28 AM
    ken1953
    Happy B'day PJ...and great pic PD...and 38...you're still a young whipper snapper...hehe...you got a long way to go before callin' urself old...hehe..oh and by the way..."KEEP THE HAIR"!!! HEHEHE...
    Ken
  • 06-07-2005, 05:53 AM
    Old Timer
    Whoa I'm sorry I missed this yesterday. Happy Brithday PJ. Nice to know you picked up a love for photography from your dad. I hope that my kids will do the same, I've sure tried. Thirty-eight seems so young to me that I'm not even going to comment on the old thing. Keep pushing that shutter release and everyday will be a happy day.
  • 06-07-2005, 11:09 AM
    Liz
    Happy Birthday John!
    Wish I had seen this yesterday - but now you can prolong the celebration another day with more wishes.

I hope you had a wonderful day - sounds like you did.

Welcome back Photo Dad. I've wondered how you were doing. Great shots here. :cool:

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo Dad
    If I've done this right you will see a photo of my favorite photographer doing what he enjoys most - photographing mountain bikers, in this case the Sea Otter Classic. Today is a special day for this photgrapher, and I want to wish him happy birthday and tell you all, as his father, that I am very proud of him both as a photographer, and more important, as a person. Smile, John.

• 06-08-2005, 04:52 AM
    natatbeach
    Darn wish I had seen this sooner
    <p>
    <font size="9" face="gigi">
    Happy Belated Birthday
    </font>
    </p>
  • 06-08-2005, 05:04 AM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo Dad
    Okay, where's the picture?

This just makes me wonder, have we seen the pic he was taking when you shot this Dad?

I'd like to see it. It would make a cool story. The photo and the capture of the photo. It would only be better if someone had caught you taking this one....lol
  • 06-08-2005, 05:26 AM
    Axle
    Happy belated Birthday!

PII 266, I still run a 486 66 runs Windows 3.11 and can surf the 'Net with Netscape 2.0, now compaired to that a PII 266 is much faster.
  • 06-08-2005, 05:29 AM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle
    Happy belated Birthday!

PII 266, I still run a 486 66 runs Windows 3.11 and can surf the 'Net with Netscape 2.0, now compaired to that a PII 266 is much faster.

Is that what you run on a daily basis, or do you just happen to still have it?

Oh man that would be a headache and a half.
  • 06-08-2005, 06:12 AM
    mdmc
    Happy birthday P J,
    And Happy Snappin,
    Mark.
  • 06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo
    This just makes me wonder, have we seen the pic he was taking when you shot this Dad?

I thought about that. I know I haven't posted it. Chances are, I either didn't actually take one, or it was crap. I have to shoot a fair number of crummy photos to get some good ones, using that technique. Got one two-page spread in kafin8ed's magagazine, Mountain Biking, though. So the work pays off.

I'll see if I can find that photo and post it.
  • 06-08-2005, 10:30 AM
    racingpinarello
    That's awesome
    Happy Birthday John!!

We're all proud of you and thankful for your efforts. Now go ride and get muddy!!

Loren
  • 06-11-2005, 08:17 PM
    mtbbrian
    Happy B-day John!
    Yes please post the pic you did!
    Brian