ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Medium format!

Thanks Megs!

I wanted to go back to school because I feel the calling to help people and jumping through the licensure hoop was the only way to start getting paid for doing it School is hard, I had my fist class last weekend and it knocked my socks off. Counseling was always very intuiitive for me and when I got hit with Freud's psychoanalytic theory it kinda downed me Luckily my Bachelor's was in Psychology so I've heard all this before. Maybe this degree I'll use! ha LOL

Looking forward to taking MF pictures - hey, do you use both 120 and 220? I'm still trying to figure out why 120 is important if 220 gives you more exposures? And thoughts?

Thanks again,
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: If on your way,

You got it! My sister's contemplating moving to Oregon so we may swing it as a caravan through the center of the country then split ways somewhere up there. If I'm in SLC, you'll know!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Re: The Big 1 Tripple 0

Thanks! Penny (& Gene)

Grab your friend Ray and get over there! I may actually be able to deliver on a Las Vegas gathering this year!

Thanks again for your encouragement!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Re: The Big 1 Tripple 0

Thanks, Mark!

I am literally moving toward the Sun, it's going to be a lot warmer out there I think - LOL

Mark I'd love it you would bid on the water drop picture when it comes up for bidding hopefully tomorrow. Like I said, all the proceeds go toward tsunami relief. And I am offering it matted and signed

Thanks for the reply!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Re: Congratulations Rick On The Big 1000!

Thanks Speedo

You got me. DC is very politically liberal. I mean socially, culturally I find it very conservative compared to liberal Berkeley where people used to run naked through the streets. Well, that was only on How Berkeley Can You Be day. But you get the picture

Yes, I am no stranger to humidity up here either. My sister and I drove through Death Valley one summer at about 105 degrees and it didn't feel nearly as bad as DC in the summer at 90 degrees and 75% humidity I'll take sand and sun over bugs and humidity any day (so he says)

I would have - ahem - bought a Nikon medium format system but, er, you know, they didn't um.. have one? So I selected the medium format system that I could afford (hassy is the bomb, ya know) that seemed most likely to approach Nikon's quality in the 35mm field. Hence, I selected Mamiya.

We'll see how my experiences go!

Thanks again boss!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

where people used to run naked through the streets. :-O

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Thanks Speedo

You got me. DC is very politically liberal. I mean socially, culturally I find it very conservative compared to liberal Berkeley where people used to run naked through the streets. Well, that was only on How Berkeley Can You Be day. But you get the picture

Yes, I am no stranger to humidity up here either. My sister and I drove through Death Valley one summer at about 105 degrees and it didn't feel nearly as bad as DC in the summer at 90 degrees and 75% humidity I'll take sand and sun over bugs and humidity any day (so he says)

I would have - ahem - bought a Nikon medium format system but, er, you know, they didn't um.. have one? So I selected the medium format system that I could afford (hassy is the bomb, ya know) that seemed most likely to approach Nikon's quality in the 35mm field. Hence, I selected Mamiya.

We'll see how my experiences go!

Thanks again boss!
    Rick
    I SEE!!! Spare me my blushes.

Got to love the dry heat. I really loved being in Arizona. Gorgeous country and within a few hours you can go from Mexico, to Flagstaff, to the Grand Canyon to Meteor Crater. And Sedona has to be one of the most beautiful places around. I'm slightly envious. (I grew up on the coast, so the water is in my blood).

For some strange reason, Nikon never did make a medium format system. I'm sure their top decision makers had their reasons. Yes, Hassie is the bomb. And they will cost you a second mortage to buy one. Mamiya is a perfectly acceptable system. And it sounds like you are set!

Again, good luck my ffriend, and enjoy your new toys. We will be looking forward to seeing those images posted here.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Congrats Rick!!!

Wow, that is certainly a message worthy of the big 1,000!!! It's really great to see someone set goals and work to achieve them. Good for you!!!
    Congrats on graduate school!! This is fantastic news.
    On to the medium format system, you know (as we have already talked about) once you get settled in Phoenix and have some time, we'll have to meet up. And now you got a really cool medium format system to show me!! Until then I'm really looking foward to the images you post.
    Congrats on everythig here Rick, and I hope the move works out for you.
    If you find it too hot in Phoenix though, you could always make your way up here to Colorado for a break, where the spring, summer and fall are usually beautiful, and the winters are not too bad at all either. Never stays cold for very long, snow doesn't last but a few days most of the time, and even in January, it can get beautifully warm and sunny. We've been running in the 60's and even a few low 70's the last couple weeks. Roughly 300 days of sunshine a year!! (OK, enough of that now.) ;) I'm sure you'll love your move to Phoenix.
    Talk to you soon Rick, and take care!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

Mamiya!

Rick, you are going to love the Mamiya and the depth/feel of MF film!! Can't wait to see your work with it. Just make sure you don't load the film wrong like I did when I got mine!

Happy Shooting!
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information