ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Why is Editing as Important as the Photo Shoot?

Why is Editing as Important as the Photo Shoot?

I decided writing this essay after going through close to twelve hundred (1200) images this afternoon. Why? Because I want to share with you the importance of editing and how it defines what your style is and what your state of mind was at the time of your decision to make the choices you made. I have observed that depending on the time of day, the mood I am in and how I am feeling about myself will have a dramatic effect on the choices I will make. When having to make that very important decision it is important to be aware of the state of mind you are in. If you are willing to make the commitment at the time you are editing, that will be what those who view your image as you the artist photographer will see. They will interpret you and your work based on that juncture in time. That is why I usually go through several stages during the editing process.

1. The adaptation period which is based on the first 10-20 images per series. This is where I observe the images and get a general feel of what I might expect from the expression of the model, general sense of composition and overall feel.

2. The settling in period. Where I am finding indicators of where I think a sequence is going and I am starting to define preferences.

3. The marking of choices marked and noted generally from 3 to 5 stars. I am usually overly generous at the onset, until I see a knock me out shot, where I then go back and mark the now not so great image accordingly.

4. The moving of the selects in to a separate file.

5. A resting period. I do not look at the images for a few hours before making the final choices.

6. The final selects from a reduced selection from the original selections.

7. The commencement of the post production

The editing process really expresses more about you than what was expressed during the actual photo production.

Photo shoots are frenetic at best and there are a multiplicity of concerns that do not allow me to delve as deeply in to the scenario as does the editing process. It is akin to shooting a film and viewing the rushes. My general rule of thumb is, if I have not gotten that "WOW" moment during the shooting of a sequence, I keep shooting till I do. If I don't, I know that the only thing that will save that sequence is a good rational or some damn innovative editing and post production work.

The photo shoot and production is not over until the editing and post production is completed. If you have poorly edited your images the outcome could be catastrophic. I cannot tell you how often a good editing job made the difference between an OK acceptably professional job and something very unique and special. If you saw some of the out takes of mine you would understand why choices in editing are so important. I could use all of the RAW material from the same photo shoot and produce what would look like two totally different photographers. Moods expressed as cold and detached to intense and passionate from exactly the same source.

That is why I said that the editing of the photo shoot or film is an extension of who you are and were during that process. Your mind set and emotional state at the time can be seen by those with discerning eyes.

I will end this by a little story. A wonderful Art Director named Martin Schmolgruber from Madame Figaro Magazine once said to me after I presented my photos to him the following, "I see you quit smoking Benjamin..." I said yeah I did, how did you know?" He responded, "I could tell by your images!"

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=900

Re: Why is Editing as Important as the Photo Shoot?

Another interesting essay, and always reassuring reading that others approach similar tasks in similar ways. I laughed out loud at # 3 as I am exactly the same way.

#3 is great. I just edited an autocross event, started with 391 raw images and came out with 169, and this is, for the most part, basic shots, even at 169 I left in some mediocre images because the drivers still love to see their cars at different angles, though as I've shot and edited many events, I see repeat cars and once I get a "knock me out" shot of a certain car/driver, it's really hard for me to keep another so/so shot of the same car.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Since you already have them sorted, why do you move them to a searate file? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

I heard an analogy in film days, but it's applicable to digital, with a slight adjustment:

taking the inital image is like writing a piece of music, the printing or editing is like performiing that piece of music.
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

trigger happy geriatric.

Quote Originally Posted by straightarm
    I heard an analogy in film days, but it's applicable to digital, with a slight adjustment:

taking the inital image is like writing a piece of music, the printing or editing is like performiing that piece of music.
    Ansel Adams said that, arguably the finest landscape photographer to walk the planet in my opinion.

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to write such important things in here. I like your rating-system, a very useful idea.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but, for editing, are you using Photoshop? I don't have it installed in my new laptop yet, but even when I do, I hardly know how to use it. I just keep fiddling around until an imagine looks more pleasant to the eye. Lately I've been just having to rely on that a photo is taken JUST the way I want it, as I have no way to currently edit. Ah well.

Please let me know if you use Photoshop, and if not, what program do you use to edit photos? Is there one which is more.... newbie friendly, has tips, suggestions, that you're aware of? Thanks in advance, again, sorry for what must sound like baby questions.

Thread Information