ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

B&H Holiday Closings

B&H Photo in NYC will be closed several days to observe holidays between now and the end of October. I assume this might mean a couple of other NYC dealers but haven't checked them. So - if you're going to need something soon, you might want to get it coming. Their full holiday schedule will open on their homepage.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: B&H Holiday Closings

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I assume this might mean a couple of other NYC dealers but haven't checked them...
    A couple??? I think 99.9% of the discount camera stores in NY are owned by our friends of the Jewish faith...

BTW, back in the day, one nice thing about that was they were open on Sundays (which very few retail stores were).

Which meant an occasional fun train ride into the city, a leisurely day strolling about Manhattan, and getting to buy some photo gear!
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

We midwesterners can be a bit understated at times. Just trying to get you used to it since you'll be here soon.

I haven't been to NYC in a few years and never have had the chance to set foot in B&H personally. As much as I'd like to, I'm not sure I should...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    never have had the chance to set foot in B&H personally. As much as I'd like to, I'm not sure I should...
    Yeah, I know what you mean. When I lived on Long Island, few, if any of the camera stores were that huge. The one I bought most of my early gear at was a pretty tiny place, at least the retail area.

I think the employees were othrodox, as they all had long beards and wore those fedoras. Kinda surreal, actually. They had a this sort of dumbwaiter system that moved merchandise up and down to and from their warehouse area.

So, after you paid for whatever is was you bought, there was this delay of five to ten minutes as you waited for the item to make its way up to the register. That was always the best moment: the anticipation!
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information