ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Bikes, Blues & BBQ

Fayetteville is the home to one of the largest growing bike rallys in the country. It's essentially doubled in size every year, this was the third year. An estimated 200,000-250,000 people and 30,000-50,000 bikes were here this year. As usual, I had something else going on at the same time (Air National Guard drill) so was unable to get to the main drag on the biggest day.

I did get down there for about an hour Friday after work and got a few pictures. I decided to take a chance and take my wife's 20D and the kit lens just to see how the combo performed. And I have to admit, I was impressed. It did very well, considering the direction I was shooting (into the setting sun for the most part) and the changing lighting conditions, we had scattered clouds that were building into t-storms.

This first one gives you an idea of the number of bikes and people.

Even Spiderman rides a hog!

All sorts of bikes and bikers!

Cool Dog! This was an iso 800 shot. Compared to my 1D, NO NOISE!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Bikes, Blues & BBQ

[QUOTE=I_Fly] As usual, I had something else going on at the same time (Air National Guard drill) so was unable to get to the main drag on the biggest day.
    QUOTE]

From one "Gaurdsmen" to another, I can feel your pain, of all of my years, that has been the one thing I DISLIKE THE MOST!
    I have been in both the Air and Army sides of the National Guard house.

Anyway, thanks for missing something you'd rather be doing, when you did your part for the USA.
    Brian
    Hoo Ahh!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Anyway, thanks for missing something you'd rather be doing, when you did your part for the USA.
    Yeah, thanks! Hmm... Bikes, blues and BBQ - what else do you need?!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Bikes, blues and BBQ - what else do you need?!
    EXACTLY---especially the blues and BBQ...well maybe a nice pair of new shoes
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Guardsmen...

Hoo Ahh indeed! It's suprising how many people in the guard have been in another branch of the service. I started out Air Cav in the Army "If you aren't Cav, you aren't s*&t, If you Cav, you are s*&t but your s*&t don't stink". Switched to the Army guard to finish my first 6 years then jumped to the Air Guard and haven't looked back. Made it to twenty and am now down to 1 day and a wakeup before transferring to the Retired Reserve. HOOO AHHH!

What's your current job? How long have you been in? Hopefully you haven't talked about all this in other posts that I've missed.

And thanks right back at ya for your sacrifices and putting your butt on the line!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Yeah, thanks! Hmm... Bikes, blues and BBQ - what else do you need?!
    Beer? Actually I don't drink much any more. A Guinness hits the spot every now and then. Thanks for the thanks!! It's much appreciated.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Not really, no....

I don't mention it much around here, but I do make mention if in my Mod Profile.
    Email me if you want to know more.
    I'd be happy to tell you.
    Brian
    Hoo Ahh!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

I missed the Blues & BBQ

because of the brief time I spent there, I didn't get to hear any blues nor have time to sample the BBQ. But got my hopes up for next year already!

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    EXACTLY---especially the blues and BBQ...well maybe a nice pair of new shoes
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Beer? Actually I don't drink much any more. A Guinness hits the spot every now and then. Thanks for the thanks!! It's much appreciated.
    I knew there was something about you Troy!
    Being in the Guard, photography and now Guiness!
    Right On!
    Brian
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Beeer!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Yup, my taste buds have evolved and become much more sophisticated than when I was young. Back in my "younger" years, if it was cheap, it was good. Then I started drinking beer that didn't need to be chugged and eventually found the pleasures of a good, rich, dark beer....just not while I'm flying. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I knew there was something about you Troy!
    Being in the Guard, photography and now Guiness!
    Right On!
    Brian
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Beeer!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thread Information