ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Atypical Airshow Pixs

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Hey Paul, I'm pretty sure that's a Lancaster. British WWII bomber. Used by the Dambusters. I didn't realize there was a flying example here in the states.
    Nor did I, that's why I wanted to query it.

I reckon it's probably a Canadian-built Lancaster B X with Packard-Merlin engines.
    Shame you haven't got a side photo, because it looks like the dorsal turret is farther forward than the UK designs - that's typical of the late production run Canadian builds.

The Shackleton was similar, and lasted well post-war with an X-band radome underneath as an AEW/ASW platform. Typically had contrarotating props though, and these appear to be simple 3-blade. I remember ASW Shackletons flying out of airfields in Cornwall as a teenager. But this has the classic Lancaster nose, can't be anything else.

OK, I googled for flying Lancasters and there only two in the world.
    From the marking under the cockpit this is FM213 still painted as VR-A.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Great shots Loupey - can't get enough warbird airplane pics !
    . . . and your absolutely correct SW.

The Avro Lanacaster BX (doing the run up, behind the crowd in the second series of shots) is from the
    Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum based in Hamilton, Ontario.
    It is known as the Mynarski Memorial Lancaster (KB726 VR-A), and was actually restored from RCAF Lanc FM213 built in1945, and acquired by the CWH in 1977, from the Royal Candian Legion in Goderich, Ontario who had purchased the plane for $1,500 after it was declared surplus by the RCAF in 1965.
    After many man hours, and a very involved restoration, it finally flew again in September 1988.
    It is dedicated to P/O Andrew C. Mynarski, V.C., his crew, and all Canadian flyers who sacrificed so much
    in the cause of peace more than 60 years ago.
    It is one of only two airworthy examples still flying, the other is in England.

Thanks for sharing this magnificent piece of history with us all Tony ! :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Rivman; 10-04-2007 at 02:04 PM.
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Thanks Rivman and Smartwombat for the info! Especially the background on the airplane. Even though it was a Mustang event, I would think that the Lanc would have been a hit also. For history buffs anyway. ;)

And it appears that are several of us floating around.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Most definetly Troy, - it's powered by 4 Mustang engines! (12 cylinder Rolls Royce or Packard Merlins)
    You can't mistake the song they sing - swwweeeeeeeeeeet ! :thumbsup:
    The CWH had a very difficult time locating serviceable engines for the Lanc.
    Last edited by Rivman; 10-04-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rivman
    ... acquired by the CWH in 1977, from the Royal Candian Legion in Goderich, Ontario who had purchased the plane for $1,500 after it was declared surplus by the RCAF in 1965.
    What a bargain! The current owner of "Dakota Kid"s P-51 said that he paid $1.7million - and that was 10 years ago.

I had no idea of the rarity of the Lancaster line. Would have taken more shots of it had I known.

Salvaged these two of the Lanc. Thanks again everyone for the interest in these planes/event.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atypical Airshow Pixs-lancaster-1.jpg   Atypical Airshow Pixs-lancaster-2.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Heck I might as well post the rest of my images from the day
    Glad you did! Great series of shots. I love airplanes although I can't name any.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Hey Rivman, wouldn't that sound like a flight of Mustangs! Sigh...I can only dream about that sound.

Loupey nice shots of the Lanc.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks for those extra Lancaster pics Loupey - I've put them in my vintage aircraft files !
    Bargain 4 sure at $1,500, but I wonder what it costs to keep it in the air for an hour ?
    I have a limited edition colour print of this aircraft signed by the artist, and all of the surviving crew members - the CWH sold 1,250 of these signed prints to help finance some of the restoration costs.
    It was passed on to me by my Dad, who spent a good part of his career in the RCAF, and is most likely responsible for my keen interest in flying and aircraft.
    Gotta luv the sound of a Merlin engine, or better still, 4 of them in one aircraft !
    . . . yah got that right Troy, but it could be 4 Spitfires, 4 Seafires, 4 Hurricanes,
    a pair of Mosquitos, or a single Northstar ! :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Rivman; 10-04-2007 at 01:57 PM.

What a way to put it in perspective Rivman. 4 Spitfires, Seafires, Hurricanes, 2 Mosquitos or a Northstar. I was tickled at that!! Some of my American aircraft prejudice unconciously showing up? Although I think the Mossie is a beautiful aircraft!!!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Troy, I spent most of my younger years on airforce bases, and grew up with the sound of those engines, along with many others, and it's just something that stays with yah, forever.
    . . . and the RCAF flew Mustangs too !
    I guess I just get off on those vintage aircraft pix ? :thumbsup:

My mother lived on a farm in southern Japan during the War. She can recount how many evenings would be interupted by the wail of air raid sirens. Her parents lead the whole family through the darkness to the shelter that her father had dug for them in the field. In the hole, they could hear the approaching low drones of the bombers' engines followed by the whistle of the falling bombs and finally the explosions in the distance. Even now, whenever a tornado siren goes off she gets a momentary feeling that she needs to flee.

It is amazing how fast the world and people can change. And for the better.

See my website HERE.

I love to talk to people that have experienced "the past". It's always a great treat to listen to their stories and help keep the memories alive.

Speaking of that, I happened across a website that has some wav files of a Lancaster flyby, a Mustang flyby, a Thunderbolt flyby and a Merlin engine file. It's also got a link to a Spitfire flyby but I couldn't get it to work. Here's the link.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Definetly Merlins Troy !
    The Spitfire soundtrak was the longest and the best, as he did several passes.
    No mistaking what all those engines were, thanks for the link ! :thumbsup:

My pleasure Rivman. Anything to encourage the aviation bug.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

GB1

Loupey - These are great shots. I'm going to an airshow in San Diego this Friday, will keep some of these in mind when I'm there. I like the way you didn't just focus on flying planes but got all elements of the event, people, emotions, and the planes into your photos.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the continued interest in this thread.

All the "air" shots were with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS with the 2x teleconverter. The compressed "ground" shots were taken with the same lens with and without the 2x.

The remaining ground shots taken with the 17-40mm f/4L.

The reason I didn't like my air shots is that I find my images look rather static as opposed to the furious action present during the moment. I also found that different engines turn the props at different RPMs - requiring shutter speed adjustments to keep the props from looking frozen.

The show ended appropriately with a missing man formation. This is how I remember that moment. A fitting end to this thread to honor those who served and are now serving our country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atypical Airshow Pixs-09-29-07-airshow-end-1.jpg   Atypical Airshow Pixs-09-29-07-airshow-end-2.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Nice stuff guys. I was there for three days. I have not touched a RAW file yet though, still going through 9 days of the Reno Air Race files. I'll post some when I get a chance.

Here are some shots of the same Lancaster from OSH last year,

Great Lanc 'action' shots Tim - much appreciated !
    Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

I agree with Rivman Tim. Nice shots. Your usual high quality stuff, showing off a beautiful aircraft.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information