• 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Asylum Steve's Bedlam Emporium hits The Windy City...
    Yep, if you're in or near the Chicagoland area, Something Wicked This Way Comes...

And soon... :ihih:

Made my reservations today (and boy, do I have reservations about this trip!). I'll be at the W Chicago City Center, arriving Friday, December 14th and leaving Sunday, the 16th.

Not the same hotel as last year, but a very cool-looking one nonetheless.

I can't exactly bill this as a Gathering, but as of now, the plan is to hopefully get together for dinner that Friday night. All are invited.

I'll most likely be tied up the rest of the weekend, which, considering I'm doing a lingerie fashion shoot Saturday, might be kind of kinky. Ah, but seriosuly... :D

So, anyone who thinks they may or would like to be in the neighborhood that night, chime in and we'll start planning things!

Oh, btw, yes I already know it's gonna be FREAKIN' COLD... :( :cryin:
  • 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
    Speed
    I'm doing a lingerie fashion shoot Saturday
    Then we'll expect photo's on Monday!!!

My email address is...
  • 11-19-2007, 02:12 PM
    Asylum Steve
    That depends...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    Then we'll expect photo's on Monday!!!...

...on how long it takes me to post bail! :D
  • 11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
    another view
    Re: Asylum Steve's Bedlam Emporium hits The Windy City...
    Friday night might be a bit tough, being almost two hours from downtown Chicago and not able to leave until five - any way I can talk you into dinner on Saturday? I'm sure working out a time would be difficult but we could work that out.
  • 11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
    adina
    Butthead..
  • 11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    any way I can talk you into dinner on Saturday?..

Actually, I should be free Saturday night. The switch to Friday was because of Adina's 30th birthday party in Wis-cahn-sen Saturday... :cryin:

BTW, can you stick this?
  • 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Need more information...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Butthead..

Why? Because I made you 10 years older, or because I'll miss your birthday party?

Hmmm, maybe I should go back and edit that "40th" comment while I still can... :D

Uh, what I mean is, what is everyone talking about?!? I wrote 30th, not 40th. Go ahead, see for yourself.

Yeah, that's the ticket... :thumbsup:
  • 11-19-2007, 05:11 PM
    adina
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Actually, I should be free Saturday night. The switch to Friday was because of Adina's 40th birthday party in Wis-cahn-sen Saturday... :cryin:

BTW, can you stick this?

OMG!!!! STEVE!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT!!
  • 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

OMG!!!! STEVE!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT!!

First of all, stop shouting... :cryin:

Again with the vague-ness! (spoken like an old jewish guy...)

If it's the age thing, well, nobody here actually believes you're even turning thirty, so exaggerating that number shouldn't be an insult... :mad:

And if it's missing the party thing, we already discussed this. Just no way I can head up to Wisconsin Saturday night, get stinking drunk and get back to Chicago with enough time to sober up and get ready for my flight home.

In fact, now it looks like I may be shooting into Saturday evening, and possibly Sunday morning... :7:
  • 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
    another view
    Re: Need more information...
    Quote:

Why? Because I made you 10 years older, or because I'll miss your birthday party?

Pure evil... Well, 99% evil and 1% hilarious. Or something like that.

I stuck this thread and cut the other one loose but it's right here if anyone needs it. Didn't realize the whole Friday/Saturday thing. Right now I'm thinking about heading in Saturday a.m. and hooking up with you (Steve) later in the day - but lots of time to figure it all out.

My wife says that W is beautiful. I've seen other W hotels (never stayed, not worthy!) and I'm sure it's as nice as Monaco - different but on the same level.
  • 11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
    MJS
    I only hit three numbers on the lotto this week, a whole $5.50. Heck, that isn't even enough to buy a decent hot dog and soda up that way, so much for me making it.
  • 11-19-2007, 08:43 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

My wife says that W is beautiful. I've seen other W hotels (never stayed, not worthy!) and I'm sure it's as nice as Monaco - different but on the same level.

Well, as far as being "worthy", it's not too expensive at all. Much cheaper than a lot of the downtown hotels (including the Monaco). I'm on a tight budget, and the Monaco was just too steep this time...

As for decor, from what I could tell, the W's quirky eclectic. You can't always go by reviews, either, as a few travelers gave it low marks saying things like "it was broodingly dark with a weird euro feel".

Exactly what I'm hoping for... :thumbsup:
  • 11-20-2007, 12:16 AM
    walterick
    Tsk tsk. Steve, never mess with a lady's age. Always round down. :D
  • 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Tsk tsk. Steve, never mess with a lady's age. Always round down. :D

That's no lady. It's Adina... :p :7:

Ah, Rick, you love setting me up, don't you? Oh, and a tip of the cap to Henny Youngman... :D
  • 11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    I only hit three numbers on the lotto this week, a whole $5.50. Heck, that isn't even enough to buy a decent hot dog and soda up that way, so much for me making it.

I dunno. Sebastian knows all the best places to get stuff cheap. Why, for that kind of money, he'd find you a giant Brat with the works on it that'd have you feeling sick for days... :D
  • 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
    another view
    Quote:

That's no lady. It's Adina...

Care for a shovel? No, I don't think you need it, you're doing well without... :)

I'm surprised that W is much less expensive than Monaco - they're both very nice places. I've stayed at a few different Kimpton Group (Monaco's owner) hotels and always been impressed. For one, a major free upgrade at the one in San Francisco. I paid for a regular room and they gave us a corner suite almost as big as our house - didn't even ask for it!

Are you staying at City Center on Adams or Lakeshore on LSD (that's Lake Shore Drive for the out-of-towners...)? The "broodingly dark with a weird euro feel" sounds appealing. :) Not sure that I can do it, but maybe - plus they're Starwood group so a great frequent flyer type program which includes Westin where I stayed last time...
  • 11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Care for a shovel? No, I don't think you need it, you're doing well without... :)

Aw, c'mon. You follow that line with a rimshot, and it's funny... :o

Besides, all will be forgiven when she sees the wondeful birthday present I plan to give her to help her celebrate her 25th. It is 25th, right? I'm almost positive... :cool:

BTW, it's the one on Adams...
  • 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
    adina
    I'll see you Friday. Be prepared for an ass whooping.
  • 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM
    MJS
    Just make sure we get pictures of that one.
  • 11-20-2007, 02:48 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

I'll see you Friday. Be prepared for an ass whooping.

Would it help if I said, GO PACK!?? :yesnod:

Hey, no bandwagon here. You know I'm really a fan. Had you get me that cheesehead way back when... :thumbsup:
  • 11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
    adina
    Deep breaths....okay, I think I'm calm....

What time do you get in on Friday? I might drive down during the day, once the girls are off to school.

And 25 is good. I like 25.
  • 11-20-2007, 03:57 PM
    Asylum Steve
    In a perfect world...
    Quote:

What time do you get in on Friday? I might drive down during the day, once the girls are off to school...

Travelnightmareocity has me arriving at O'Rabbit Airport at PRECISELY 1:25pm on the 14th.

Yeah, right...

Now, without knowing the weather conditions (delays), and considering I'll be picking up checked baggage, I predict poking my face out onto the frozen tundra of Chi-town sometime maybe around after 2ish.

And that's definite...:cool:
  • 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
    adina
    In my world
    leaving here after the girls go to school puts me getting there around um....4?
  • 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
    Sushigaijin
    I'll be working both nights, but if you're all in the neighborhood, you should stop by and have something decent to eat. You will be able to find me here, I am the sous chef and run the show nightly:

www.volorestaurant.com

My senior server is a professional photographer too, so it's fine if you want to geek out.
  • 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    I'll be working both nights, but if you're all in the neighborhood, you should stop by and have something decent to eat...

Thanks, Erik. We may just take you up on that...

Normally on my trips to Chciago, I stay over Sunday night and fly back Monday. I find that extra day (and night) makes a huge difference in making my stay a lot more relaxed and enjoyable.

Unfortunately, this year I simply can't afford the extra night. That means one less dinner out in a town full of great eating places... :(

But, we''ll see what happens. BTW, real nice web site for VOLO...