ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Power in the Forest

Lately I've become a little fascinated by abandoned mills in the forest. Almost every nature preserve or piece of conservation land with a brook has one. New England is littered with them. Sometimes it's a bit tough to photograph them, but I enjoy doing it. Here's the latest couple -

They're both on the same stream, maybe a mile apart. The second one has a separate spillway on the other side of the earthwork to the left. Probably they were grist or saw mills.

Re: Power in the Forest

Doy! I thought this was in critique.

lol

thats quite a bit of motion in the first. Did you use a ND filter?

I don't think so for that one...just a polarizer. with all the snow melt, the streams are really running fast. Exposure is probably a second or two. do you have a critique? I get mixed up with the forums sometimes, too.

lol yeah,

I think the compositions are a little tight, the vanishing point almost exits the frame in the second. They also both seem a little too high-key, but the contrast is all in range, just my preference.

Prefer the water of the first, but the land of the second, great processing on both. That water must have been pretty dang rapid!

valid. The lens was as wide as it would go. 12mm (24mm in 35mm film aspect). I had to jam myself into the fork of a tree to get the second one...not really tripod friendly and behind that is just more obscuring trees and bushes. maybe if I had my taller (and infinitely heavier) tripod for the first one I could have gotten more of the frame in. They are a bit contrasty because of the dappled sun which was only slightly obscured by clouds. Whatcha gonna do?

Yeah, I kind of figured you were shooting at the widest possible angle. My critiques aren't always realistic or practical, lol.

Thread Information