ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Anyone who LOVES NY.....

I just happened on a large Street Fair on the Avenue of the Americas on Sunday. It was so much fun watching all the people. I got a few fun shots along the way. Maybe we should have another gathering soon. ;)

1) Music for RICK's ears (Rick's kind of music, according to Rick)
    2) Massage anyone?
    3) Ride Anyone?
    4) Where's my wife?

Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone who LOVES NY.....-nydrum.jpg   Anyone who LOVES NY.....-nymassage.jpg   Anyone who LOVES NY.....-nybike.jpg   Anyone who LOVES NY.....-nyman.jpg  

Liz

My Favorites "Pics of the Day"

These soldiers were walking toward me so I grabbed a shot. The woman broke into this beautiful smile when she saw me with the camera focusing on them.

I shot the others as they were posing for a few other soldiers with cameras. So, I just stood beside the soldiers with the cameras & shot a few.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone who LOVES NY.....-nypic2.jpg   Anyone who LOVES NY.....-nypic4.jpg   Anyone who LOVES NY.....-nycpict.jpg  
    Last edited by Liz; 05-25-2004 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quite a varied collection of street life you've got here, Liz. Looks like you are getting bolder in capturing the shots you want. Great exposure and composition in every one. :-)

Check your email. I'm coming to NYC.

Liz

Talking Wow.......that's great news!

I think that calls for a special gathering!

Thanks for the comments. I was "stir crazy" the past few weeks, and to have the street fair during the only time I had in NY helped my sanity!

Liz

Liz

Smile Thanks Penny

Hi Penny,
    Thank you for your kind words. You're always so encouraging. I had a great time in NY as always, and enjoyed taking the shots. I really wanted the shots of the soldiers - so I did what I had to. The one with the female was easy......she was so sweet.

I love street photography, however, sometimes I miss quite a few shots because I'm just plain scared to focus the camera on the subject!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I love street photography, however, sometimes I miss quite a few shots because I'm just plain scared to focus the camera on the subject!
    Liz, that's OK. You're doing it, and like Charles said it looks like you're getting more confidence with it. Nice work!

I love New York too - my 48 hour visit two years ago just wasn't enough!

Liz

Cool Thanks.......

for the nice comments - and encouragement. Since Street photography is basically all I've had time for lately, it's getting a bit easier. And I'm beginning to think it's my favorite kind of work (for now).

Liz

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Liz, these are great!

I like every single one. And you've captured some great expressions in many of these!

I haven't forgotten about your prints, btw, just very busy right now!

I'll sit and listen to anyone who's improvising musically. I think it's the heart and soul of music

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Liz

Cool Thanks Rick.........

Good to see you around. Thanks for the comments. I know "busy" these days too. I'm not in a hurry.

Have a great time in "Bahston"

Liz

These are great photos, Liz. I especially like the first one, the old man sitting, and the armed servicemen with policmen picture. I think these would all look great in b/w too. You got some good exposure on these shots. Care to share your settings?

Ray

the steel drums and older gent

Are my favorites...you really have a knack for this and are more bold than I could be... I've tried some street photography and failed miserably...not even worth posting I get too spazzed out to get anything right...

Awesome job Liz and I agree with Ray about converting some to BW
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Well done Liz

Great slice of city life. Very well done. I have not been to NY City since 1965 and then on a school trip. I do have a few pictures from that trip which included a stop at the Worlds Fair where the Pope was also in attentance that day. For that day and age the security was unbelieveable, just imagine what it would be like today. Venture out into the city more and treat us to some more of your images.

Liz

Smile Ray & Nat....

Thanks for viewing and for your encouraging comments. Yes, I do enjoy street photography immensely. In the beginning I just couldn't gather the courage to do anything. I would go to NY & once in a while sneak in a shot at someone's back. When I realized that's what I got - someone's back, I decided it was working that way!

But it's easier to do when so many people are walking around a street fair - and many with cameras.

Ray - I will look up the specs and post them later as I don't know off hand.

And I will try to convert some to b&w at a later date.

Liz

Liz

Cool Thank you OT

I always enjoy your posts. You have a nice way of saying just the right thing. Thanks for sharing about your 1965 trip to NY. Amazing that you still have the pictures. The World's Fair - and a visit from the Pope. Now that had to have been one BIG photo op! I'd love to see some of your images.

BTW, it's Fleet Week in NY right now through June 2nd. I'm going to be there! Hopefully, if the weather holds out Friday I'll go then - before the big holiday crowd.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Great slice of city life. Very well done. I have not been to NY City since 1965 and then on a school trip. I do have a few pictures from that trip which included a stop at the Worlds Fair where the Pope was also in attentance that day. For that day and age the security was unbelieveable, just imagine what it would be like today. Venture out into the city more and treat us to some more of your images.

Liz

Cool for Ray (Schrackman) ..

Hi Ray,
    I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you on the settings. Busy days. ;)

No. I (drums) Ap 5.0 Shutter 1/60
    Man - Ap 5.0 Shutter 1/60
    Soldiers (first image) Ap 4.5 shutter 1/30
    All handheld with 17-40mm lens

Did you want any other info?

Have a great weekend. I'm going to get back for Fleet Week. I want to honor the service men and women. Last year I enjoyed it immensely. The soldiers are all so upbeat and it's great fun to be with them.

I was surprised the lighting was ok with this - shot with same lens - inside the dark church, and of course the on-camera flash is worthless.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    These are great photos, Liz. I especially like the first one, the old man sitting, and the armed servicemen with policmen picture. I think these would all look great in b/w too. You got some good exposure on these shots. Care to share your settings?

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone who LOVES NY.....-stpat.jpg  
    Last edited by Liz; 05-27-2004 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling error

the church shot

wow... hey Liz when is Fleet Week? Larry and I were just talking about it the other day. He went a few times and had a good time (not that kinda good time that the sailors are known for) and we would love to go back sometime...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Hi Nat........fleet week is now

until Tuesday. Can you make it?

http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Fleet_Week.htm

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    wow... hey Liz when is Fleet Week? Larry and I were just talking about it the other day. He went a few times and had a good time (not that kinda good time that the sailors are known for) and we would love to go back sometime...

Liz

I guess you can't Nat........

Oh.....I think you might have replied in the other Fleetweek post.

Have a nice weekend, anyway!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

Liz

Subway Scene

Newcomer here & saw this post about NY.

They have now disllowed the taking of pictures on the subways, but I took this one before that went into effect.
    Unfortunately, the focus could be better. It was on a moving subway without much light. I wonder if there is any way to shapren it up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone who LOVES NY.....-lady-2train.jpg  

Liz

Cool Welcome and a Suggestion

First - let me say welcome to the PR website - this is a great place to come for just about any kind of photography help, fun, advice, even off-topic discussions. We're glad you've joined us.

In answer to your question about improving your image - which is good compositionally IMO, you might want to post this image in the Critique forum and ask for help. Let me tell you, however, that sometimes weekends, and especially holiday weekends are a bit slow, so if you don't get an immediate response, don't be discouraged! ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by coachgns
    Newcomer here & saw this post about NY.

They have now disllowed the taking of pictures on the subways, but I took this one before that went into effect.
    Unfortunately, the focus could be better. It was on a moving subway without much light. I wonder if there is any way to shapren it up?

Thread Information