• 10-29-2007, 07:53 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?
    A little a while ago it was mentioned in the New TMax thread about the possibility of a Film Forum here at PR. As some of you know, all I shoot now is film, so this definitely caught my eye. I talked to PJ about the real possibility of this and he is for it provided there is actual real interest in it. I know quite a few of you still shoot film. Would a film forum be something you would regularly post in or do you think the way PR is set-up now meets the need for film users? So, what do you guys think?

Aaron
  • 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Any interest in a film forum?
    You have my vote Aaron. I have a Bessa R that have been playing around with. I hope to have some film developed soon. I might even try some medium format later on.
  • 10-29-2007, 08:21 PM
    photophorous
    Re: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?
    I've thought about this before too and I think it's a great idea. I would use it a lot.

Paul
  • 10-29-2007, 08:23 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Thanks guys :D I've just started pm'ing some of our members that I know shoot film to chime in. If you guys know of anyone shooting film I would greatly appreciate it if you could drop them a message to chime in on the topic. Thanks again guys :D

Aaron
  • 10-29-2007, 08:47 PM
    Xia_Ke
    How'd I know at least one person would pick #3?...LOL Hell, what can I say? Only about a year ago I was the one thinking film was dead. It's funny how things change over time. Now I can't picture myself going back to digital. There's a magic about pulling out a freshly developed roll of film that just can't be compared to uploading a memory card. Anyhoo, enough rambling... In Vino Veritas :o
  • 10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
    walterick
    I also shoot film almost exclusively, I guess everyone knows that by now. Velvia is my sweetheart :)

My first thought about a film forum, however was that it would not get used enough to warrant having it. The problem we have had with "niche" forums in the past is they don't get enough traffic to keep a whole forum just for that topic. I don't really make posts "about film" as it is, so I don't know that I would make posts specifically for a film forum. Also, the pictures I do post on PR I like to put here in the Viewfinder because I know that's where they'll get the most attention. By sticking them in a separate forum, I might be limiting my audience. And, like I said, my film pictures really aren't about <i>film,</i> per se.

Then, I kept thinking about it. Film is going to fast become a unique sub-interest in photography. As digital takes over, the number of people left shooting film are going to start bonding together and seeking communities to share their common passion in. In this, I think a film forum would eventually be a great haven for people still shooting with classic cameras as well as large format and the new powerhouses such as the F6. So, I can definitely see the merit there in the long run.

Ultimately, I chose the first option. There are a few other forums I'd like to see created before a film forum, but if it gets used I think film would be a great idea.

Thanks for suggesting this Aaron
    Rick
  • 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    ...Velvia is my sweetheart :)...

You ain't kidding :eek:

Thanks for your thoughts Rick :D You bring up some very valid points. It is borderline as to whether there would be enough sustained interest in a Film Forum here at PR. One thought though is that if there isn't a place for it here, than people will go elsewhere to find what they want. I speak from experience on this point. Don't get me wrong, I can't thank the members here enough for helping me get started with film. However, I'm the type of person that would rather seek out the answers to my questions, than ask. I find myself self heading over to APUG now to find answers to my film questions. APUG is a great site and all but, PR is where I call home. If there was a specific spot here for asking film questions and discussing film related topics, I don't think I would have looked elsewhere. I wonder though, if I went elsewhere, I wonder how many others have ventured or even how many potential new members may have been lost?

Aaron
  • 10-29-2007, 11:10 PM
    schrackman
    Go for it.
  • 10-30-2007, 05:56 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    So, what do you guys think?...

This topic was much discussed a while back, the last time the forums were reshuffled.

Back then the feeling was the Help Forum would be the best place for film questions, one because (we felt) a film-only forum would get little traffic in the long run, and two, the Help Forum would be greatly diminished by eliminating the film questions, which would basically mean two watered down forums, instead of one strong one.

I'm pretty neutral on the subject. While primarily digital, I still have film projects on the back burner (and a ton of the stuff still in my fridge!). I also think it's important not to abandon film (or its users) on this site.

Maybe it's time we revisit the subject. It should be intersting to see what the final results of your poll are...
  • 10-30-2007, 06:28 AM
    adina
    I don't think it's necessary.

If you are sharing photos, that can be done in the Viewfinder. If you are looking for critique, we have a critique forum. If you have a question about the camera, there are Canon/Nikon/Minolta forums, if you need general help, there is a help forum. If you are working on an "art" project, there is an art forum.

The reason there are digital specific forums, is because digital is dominant right now. If there is all of a sudden a huge push to film, I could see another forum being useful. But right now, I think it wouldn't get the activity needed to justify having it. There are people who are digital, but have a strong film background, that would answer questions and post about film related issues because they are in a forum the regularly check, but would miss them if they were seperated.

Honestly, how many of the different forums on this site do you (you general, not you specific) check regularly? I hit the Viewfinder and Off topic consistantly, the others only when I have extra time, which isn't all that frequently. I think it might be best to utilize the forums available before adding another.
  • 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
    mtbbrian
    I voted "Yeah".
    I think there are enough differences between the two mediums there should be one here.
    Having such a forum would bring others here, that think PR.com is a digital only forum. Which in my opinion is not a good thing.
    Film Rules!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
  • 10-30-2007, 06:51 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    ...Back then the feeling was the Help Forum would be the best place for film questions, one because (we felt) a film-only forum would get little traffic in the long run, and two, the Help Forum would be greatly diminished by eliminating the film questions, which would basically mean two watered down forums, instead of one strong one...

I just took a rough count through the past year's posts in the Help Forum (Yes, I need to get a life :o) and I counted 20 film related posts out of 500 over the past year, 7 or 8 of which were mine. Several were film vs. digital posts and a couple were film to digital conversion. I don't think creating a separate forum would water down the Help Forum at all, though that count does raise the question of how much activity a Film Forum would get.
  • 10-30-2007, 06:58 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    I don't think it's necessary.

If you are sharing photos, that can be done in the Viewfinder. If you are looking for critique, we have a critique forum. If you have a question about the camera, there are Canon/Nikon/Minolta forums, if you need general help, there is a help forum. If you are working on an "art" project, there is an art forum.

The reason there are digital specific forums, is because digital is dominant right now. If there is all of a sudden a huge push to film, I could see another forum being useful. But right now, I think it wouldn't get the activity needed to justify having it. There are people who are digital, but have a strong film background, that would answer questions and post about film related issues because they are in a forum the regularly check, but would miss them if they were seperated.

Honestly, how many of the different forums on this site do you (you general, not you specific) check regularly? I hit the Viewfinder and Off topic consistantly, the others only when I have extra time, which isn't all that frequently. I think it might be best to utilize the forums available before adding another.

I don't go to any one specific forum. I always click to view new posts and scroll them all.

One of my thoughts was yes, there may not be a huge interest right now but, how many possible new members is this site missing out on not having a Film Forum? Take a look at APUG or Rangefinderforum or Flickr or... there are tons of film shooters out there and people like myself swapping to film all the time. This site though seems to be mainly geared towards digital. If you're a new film person or newly online and looking for a film place to get answers, you are going to keep going right past PR. Doing a search on Google or other search engines for film related stuff is certainly not going to bring up PR.

I want to think "If you make it, they will come" but, maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part :o
  • 10-30-2007, 07:00 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    ...Having such a forum would bring others here, that think PR.com is a digital only forum. Which in my opinion is not a good thing....

Phew, I was beginning to think I was the only person with that opinion...LOL Thanks for chiming in Brian :thumbsup:

Aaron
  • 10-30-2007, 07:02 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

I think there are enough differences between the two mediums there should be one here...

I see your point as well, Brian. IMO, the only reason the make a Film Forum would be to nurture the medium as it becomes more and more of a niche aspect of photography as a whole.

I also see Rick's point that film in itself is not the main issue when it comes to his imagery. But I think that for more and more folks, especially emerging, younger photographers, choosing to work with film will be the main issue, much like alternative photo processes, or toy cameras...
  • 10-30-2007, 07:07 AM
    Asylum Steve
    How bout dem Pack?!?
    Ah, the pitfalls of being old. Watched as much of the game last night as I could, but had to make a very early start today, so I went to bed in the fourth and missed the amazing ending. :cryin:

Saw the highlights plenty of times today, though... :thumbsup:

Sorry to leave you hanging about Chicago, Adina. I just haven't had the money to book my trip yet. Now it looks like I'll be up that way at the end of the month (weekend of Dec. 1st).

I should be able to finalize my plans in the next few days, and will be sure to post here in VF to let everybody know... :cool:
  • 10-30-2007, 07:09 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    IMO, the only reason the make a Film Forum would be to nurture the medium as it becomes more and more of a niche aspect of photography as a whole.

As long as film is available, photographers will be using it and it needs to be nurtured and maintained as a viable option.
    Brian
    Film RULES!
    :thumbsup:
  • 10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
    Xia_Ke
    I don't think we'll have to worry about it going away anytime soon Brian. Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji are still actively developing new films which is a very good sign that at least the big 3 are here to stay. And I agree, film does rule :D

Aaron
  • 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Having such a forum would bring others here, that think PR.com is a digital only forum. Which in my opinion is not a good thing.

I agree with this too. I didn't realize how big of a deal it was until I got more into film but now I find myself on other forums a lot. I keep coming back here because of the people, but this is basically a digital photography site. I think if there was a film forum, people visiting the site who shoot film, would be more likely to sign up and hang out. There is a thread on RFF that says membership on that site rose 40% in the first 6 months of 2007. Film is far from dead. Obviously, there are many similarities between film and digital and those things don't necessarily need to be discussed exclussively between film shooters, but I keep going to those film forums because people there are talking about film related things. This is especially true when discussing black and white and all the details of developing. The similarities between digital and film are not what makes people go back to shooting film.

Paul
  • 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
    another view
    Quote:

I counted 20 film related posts out of 500 over the past year, 7 or 8 of which were mine

If it happens, then I guess we've found a moderator for it! :D

Lots of great points made here. I'm undecided on it at this point, and in general this site has been cautious about adding new forums as posts to that new forum could probably fit pretty well in another existing forum - Help, for example. The thing about a new forum is that nobody wants to create one that won't be active after the "newness" has worn off.

But the point that film is a very different medium than digital is a good one. I think the people who are shooting film these days (as evident here) are very passionate about it, and maybe a forum for it is deserved. It could spark more interest in the members already here and could draw new members. I don't know if I'd frequent it - haven't shot a roll of film in awhile. I'd like to get back into B&W work but there are only so many hours in the day...
  • 10-30-2007, 08:28 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    If it happens, then I guess we've found a moderator for it! :D

I think you are right Steve!
    Aaron for the Film Forum Moderator!
    :D
    I really think we should go forth with this. Doing so will show that PR.com is open to both mediums and could very well attract new people.
    Brian
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

If it happens, then I guess we've found a moderator for it! :D...

Quote:

I think you are right Steve!
    Aaron for the Film Forum Moderator!
    :D...

Oh good gawd...LOL Let's have the guy who's only been shooting film a few months moderate :eek: Only if I get a co-mod so that at least there will be one mod who actually knows what they're talking about :p ...LOL
  • 10-30-2007, 08:39 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Oh good gawd...LOL Let's have the guy who's only been shooting film a few months moderate :eek: Only if I get a co-mod so that at least there will be one mod who actually knows what they're talking about :p ...LOL

All it takes to be a mod is passion for the subject.
    If this does happen, I guess I'd be willing to co moderate with you.
    But I won't promise that right now.
    Brian
  • 10-30-2007, 08:55 AM
    GB1
    It can't hurt.

I'm thinking that folks would discuss film questions, issues, etc.

Adina has some good points though - I don't think that anyone will post images for critique in the Film forum saying "hey this was shot on Kodachrome, not digital - what do ya think?"

But, I've noticed that the Help is slowing becoming almost totally digital questions about memory cards, PS levels, etc, etc.

In all, I think a Film forum is worth a shot.

GB
  • 10-30-2007, 09:16 AM
    mjs1973
    I originally voted no, but I'm having second thoughts. I see the merit in having a film forum, but I just don't know that it will get the trafic to support it. It would be great to get new people on the boards tho.

I still shoot film once in a while, but like Rick said, I don't see a need for a separte film forum for what I do. Photography is photography, no matter if you shoot on film, or on a sensor. Yes, I know there are some techincal differences between them, but most of the basics (aperture, shutterspeed, exposure, composition, etc.) are the same if you shoot digital, 35mm, MF or LF.

I have had specific film questions in the past, but I never felt that I couldn't ask questions in the forums we already have.

But on the other hand, a film forum may encourage me to get an old TLR that I have been thinkig about for a while. :)
  • 10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
    mtbbrian
    I think the consenus on this matter is yes!
    I believe that the differences between the two warrant a Film Forum, becaue they are very different once you get past the basics.
    I also believe that the basics of photography should be taught with film, so that you can understand and appreciate the the differences. But of course, that is another mattter.
    Brian
    Aaron for Film Forum Moderator!
    :thumbsup: :biggrin5:
  • 10-30-2007, 09:34 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

All it takes to be a mod is passion for the subject.
    If this does happen, I guess I'd be willing to co moderate with you.
    But I won't promise that right now.
    Brian

Well, I have found a passion in it. If this is something that ends up happening, I would be willing to mod but, would greatly appreciate a co-mod to help pick up the slack of my inexperience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1
    It can't hurt.

I'm thinking that folks would discuss film questions, issues, etc.

Adina has some good points though - I don't think that anyone will post images for critique in the Film forum saying "hey this was shot on Kodachrome, not digital - what do ya think?"

But, I've noticed that the Help is slowing becoming almost totally digital questions about memory cards, PS levels, etc, etc.

In all, I think a Film forum is worth a shot.

GB

I don't necessarily think it would take away from other forums for posting shots. I mean I'll still post shots I want critiqued in the Photo Critique Forum. Though I guess if a Film Forum did go through, if I had an outing I wanted to share, I would most likely post it in the Film Forum instead of Viewfinder just for the sake of helping to increase traffic in that forum and maybe get some people thinking, "Hey people are still out shooting film. Maybe I should break out the old 35."

Thanks for chiming GB, much appreciated :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I originally voted no, but I'm having second thoughts. I see the merit in having a film forum, but I just don't know that it will get the trafic to support it. It would be great to get new people on the boards tho.

I still shoot film once in a while, but like Rick said, I don't see a need for a separte film forum for what I do. Photography is photography, no matter if you shoot on film, or on a sensor. Yes, I know there are some techincal differences between them, but most of the basics (aperture, shutterspeed, exposure, composition, etc.) are the same if you shoot digital, 35mm, MF or LF.

I have had specific film questions in the past, but I never felt that I couldn't ask questions in the forums we already have.

But on the other hand, a film forum may encourage me to get an old TLR that I have been thinking about for a while. :)

Ooo, get the TLR! Soooo much fun and cheap as hell right now! $100 will get you decent Rolleicord or a nice Yaschica :thumbsup:

I agree, photography is photography no matter the medium. I wouldn't expect a Film Forum to take away from say the Nikon forum. If you have a question about your Nikon film camera I wold still expect it to get posted in the Nikon Forum. However, there's plenty of room for discussions on different films for different shoots, developing techniques, color correction filter uses, alt techniques, discussion on film cameras like old TLR's, etc.

Thanks for contributing to this thread mjs :thumbsup:
  • 10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

...Aaron for Film Forum Moderator!...

Be scared... Be VERY scared! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Whatever!
    :rolleyes: :D :p :thumbsup:
  • 10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
    GB1
    Quote:

When you want something done RIGHT, gotta do it yourself, yeah? :D :cool: :p
  • 10-30-2007, 09:49 AM
    mwfanelli2
    There is really no reason not to have a film forum. There are couple of other forums here that don't get lots of traffic but hold their own anyway. Look, if ABC can glorify the caveman, we can glorify film!
  • 10-30-2007, 10:09 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    ...Look, if ABC can glorify the caveman, we can glorify film!

ROTFL!.... I need to add that to my sig :D:D:D
  • 10-30-2007, 10:12 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    There is really no reason not to have a film forum. There are couple of other forums here that don't get lots of traffic but hold their own anyway. Look, if ABC can glorify the caveman, we can glorify film!

I find it funny with this dicussion that the Camera Review Of The Day is a film camera...
    The Leica M4...
    Scroll up or down and look at the right column >>>

:D :rolleyes: :p

Brian
  • 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

I find it funny with this dicussion that the Camera Review Of The Day is a film camera...
    The Leica M4...

Brian

Very fitting :D I'd like to try one someday to see what all the fuss is about.

Time to go huff some fixer. I have a roll of Neopan that's not going to develop itself :D
  • 10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Very fitting :D I'd like to try one someday to see what all the fuss is about.

Time to go huff some fixer. I have a roll of Neopan that's not going to develop itself :D

I have handled a few different Leica models, and they are a very solid and well built camera, but I just can't get over their price!
    So, I'll stick with my Voigtlander and of course my Holgas.

How many rolls have your processed in the past few months or so?
    Certainly a lot more than I have, even though I have probably shot more than you.
    That's why I think you'd be great mod!
    Brian
  • 10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
    MB1
    My feeling is that this site isn't all that active anyway. Splitting off into one more sub-group is only going to dilute all the other forums already on this site.

I'd be happy enough with just one or two non-brand specific forums that had more activity and participation. I count 24 forums already-not counting the mods forum that I assume exists.

I vote no but don't have a problem is TPTB decide otherwise.

BTW of course I still shoot film as well as digital. Film for pleasure, digital for the money and the internet. I'm not concerned about the medium but the result.
  • 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
    another view
    Quote:

I would be willing to mod but, would greatly appreciate a co-mod to help pick up the slack of my inexperience.

Let's see - this is post #37, Aaron is in here 13 times and Brian 8... Guess I see a mod and a co-mod! :) Really though, the whole thing is up to John. (Something about somebody needing a life? :) )

MB1's point "I'm not concerned about the medium but the result" is a good one, and I agree with it but a Film Forum could (should) really be about the specific differences with that medium. Aaron mentioned that a question on a Nikon film camera should go to the Nikon forum and I agree with that (or Help is a good fit too). Questions and comments about the film that goes into the camera, how to process it and anything else specifically related to it could be part of a new forum. Scanning is also a part of film but before it's decided whether or not to go ahead with this, maybe we should clarify whether those are Digital Imaging or Film questions (could go either way, especially based on the question). That's how I see this fitting in - not for critiques or just sharing images taken on film.
  • 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

The Leica M4...

Brian

Not only is it a film camera, but it's one that has been out of production for 32 years and still someone feels the urge to write a review on it.

Paul
  • 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Quote:

I have handled a few different Leica models, and they are a very solid and well built camera, but I just can't get over their price!
    So, I'll stick with my Voigtlander and of course my Holgas.

How many rolls have your processed in the past few months or so?
    Certainly a lot more than I have, even though I have probably shot more than you.
    That's why I think you'd be great mod!
    Brian

I know what you mean about the price :eek: Many other cameras I'd rather have for that price. I could get myself a mint Rolleiflex and a Hasselblad :D

Just took a count and so far in the past 2 months I've developed 11 rolls of 35mm and today's roll makes 19 rolls of 120. Plus I have a few rolls of Portra and Ektachrome that I need to get to a lab.
  • 10-30-2007, 11:02 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

MB1's point "I'm not concerned about the medium but the result" is a good one, and I agree with it but a Film Forum could (should) really be about the specific differences with that medium. Aaron mentioned that a question on a Nikon film camera should go to the Nikon forum and I agree with that (or Help is a good fit too). Questions and comments about the film that goes into the camera, how to process it and anything else specifically related to it could be part of a new forum. Scanning is also a part of film but before it's decided whether or not to go ahead with this, maybe we should clarify whether those are Digital Imaging or Film questions (could go either way, especially based on the question). That's how I see this fitting in - not for critiques or just sharing images taken on film.

But look at the overlap that already exists. "Digital Cameras" and "Digital SLRs." Uh...same thing. There will always be overlap, but having the film forum will give people the opportunity to decide where it will get the most attention. Currently, film related questions are lost in the overwhelming mix of digital questions. People don't see them and that discourages more film related questions.

I think there are plenty of film specific topics to be discussed. Just go look at APUG (22,756 members) or RFF (17,686 members). Notice the topics being discussed and consider how out of place they would be in our existing forums. Together, those sites have almost exactly as many members as this site. The interest exists, but those people go elsewhere because this site is simply not film friendly. I'd love to see PR.com become one of the few sites that caters to both film and digital users. A more diverse crowd of people will provide more learning opportunities for everyone.

Paul