ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would love to see a Film Forum and would contribute regularly!

16 53.33%
  • Film is cool and all but, I don't think there is a real need for a Film Forum

11 36.67%
  • Film is dead, get out of the Stone Age!

3 10.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    I know, I know It's all good though. I have Monday's and Tuesday's off and my goal for this week was to do a good thorough Fall cleaning (that translates to cleaning up a ton of cat hair from out behind the furniture...LOL) Plus, I've been lazy and haven't made it to the store to pick up some orange clothing. Hunting season started fully yesterday and closest safe hiking spot is over an hour drive
    Actually I meant "me" in my comment. But glad to know you can get the job done!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    No one likes a smart ass Steve!
    It's a gift. I'll try to do a better job of controlling it...

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I haven't read this post until today because I know I'm not going to become a film guy again and thought it should be up to those who wanted it. As I read along I started forming an opinion, though, and that is that many of the better photographers at PR use film exclusively or partially and that if they had their own forum, the non film people would miss a lot especially when it comes to images.
    Aaron proved my point with his last post....fine images I would not have seen in a film forum.
    I do look at film related posts occasionally as there is something to learn no matter how the image is recorded.
    I don't know if I would say those are anything really even worth posting but, I'm glad you liked em

If a film forum did end up getting started, I still think that Viewfinder and the Critique Forum are the places to post shots for the most part. Like I said though, if I ended up being one of the mods I would end up posting the majority of my outings, so long as I wasn't looking for a critique, in the film forum simply to generate traffic. However, how is that really any different than with the Nature and Wildlife forum? You could say on one hand that that forum has taken a lot of traffic away from the Viewfinder and Critique forums. To a lesser degree you could also say the same about the Sports forum. My main concern though is how many film related questions are lost, or not even posted to begin with, amongst all the digital questions of the help forum.

Thank you Frog for joining in on the conversation. Your viewpoints are greatly appreciated.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    ...It's a gift. I'll try to do a better job of controlling it...
    Well that's no fun...LOL Let it rip!
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Talking Re: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

It's a gift. I'll try to do a better job of controlling it...
    I am glad you saw that I was only giving you a hard time.

Oh yeah... FILM RULES! and Aaron for Film Forum Moderator!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Why should we have a film forum. Posting in the critique or viewfinder forums are not limited to digital. Besides there is a film only board already at http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php But unluckily it is a subscription board.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I am just now puicking up film, I have a canon RF. A film forum would do ok here and I think Aaron would make a great mod for it too.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Hi GRF, thank you for chiming in It's not a matter of posting pics shot on film but, a question of discussing film related topics (film, darkroom techniques, etc) without them getting buried under the mas of digital threads.

As for APUG, it is completely free to post there. The only thing the subscription gets you is access to the galleries and classifieds. And even on top of the subscription, a 3% donation is asked for all classified sales. It is a very dedicated and passionate group of people. It couldn't hurt to have some more of that around here.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    I am just now puicking up film, I have a canon RF. A film forum would do ok here and I think Aaron would make a great mod for it too.
    Where's those Canonet shots at Tyson? Not so sure I would make a great mod but, thank you for your confidence
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Where's those Canonet shots at Tyson? Not so sure I would make a great mod but, thank you for your confidence
    Well my first roll of film got cut. I couldn't find a way toget the roll of film in my PC so I could use my CS2 LOL

I couldn,t figure out how to rewind it, so I ripped it in half :mad2:

I have been working on some real problems at home and havn't had a chance to get out shooting other than for the paper.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Rewind it? Do you mean rewinding it in the camera after you finished shooting your roll? There's a button underneath that you need to keep pressed in while you rewind. Not sure if you have a manual for it but, you can download a full PDF copy of the manual HERE.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

BUMP for another day.... 500 views and 60 posts in a day and a half. Not too bad. Anyone else have any thoughts one way or the other? Thanks again to all those that have contributed to the discussion so far.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It's pretty much a conversation between you and Brian, Aaron.
    Only 15 non-moderator posts other than you (10 people).

Xia_Ke ................. 24
    mttbrian ............... 11 mod
    another_view ......... 4 mod
    photophorous ......... 4
    Asylum_Steve ........ 3 mod
    GB1 ...................... 2
    Tyson_L._Sparks ... 2
    Greg_McCary ........ 2 mod
    freygr .................... 1
    adina .................... 1 mod
    MB1 ..................... 1
    megan .................. 1
    frog ...................... 1
    mwfanelli2 ............ 1
    mjs1973 ............... 1
    smartwombat ........ 1 mod
    walterick ............... 1 mod
    schrackman .......... 1
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I know I have the majority of posts. I felt since I started the thread it was only fair I took the time to respond to people's thoughts on the topic. Seems I'm fighting an uphill battle
    Last edited by Xia_Ke; 10-31-2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

It'd be odd if you weren't the #1 poster - it's your thread
    But there are only 18 other people on this thread.

I think there may be a lot of lurkers.
    But we won't know because, well they lurk and don't post.

What I find interesting is the mod interest in film, not a surprise just interesting.
    I haven't looked at the relationship between activity and film interest, but I think it's active people also interested in film (only MB1 below 1000 posts).
    PAul

Can't really blame the lurkers. I lurked for some time before ever posting here. I dunno, for me "discovering" film was like a whole new world opening up to me. It's something I find myself becoming more and more passionate about. I honestly think there is a void here at PR when it comes to film photography. I know what PJ said before was just an off handed remark but, it definitely caught my attention. Thought it might be time to try running with it and see who else felt the same. Maybe I'm just getting a little over zealous in my pursuit?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I am both for and against a film forum. I love film and shoot the majority of my pictures with it. I think the forum could be useful for members who may want to explore film developing and darkroom techniques. I would love to see some of the photographers who post here try different darkroom manipulations just so I could see there take on them. I came here because I really was inspired by the photography. The majority of it was done with digital cameras, some of it with point and shoot digital cameras.

The thing that concerns me is the potential impact on the members who don't want to explore film. I have seen a tendency at art festivals and in photography forums to create a hierarchy of artistic expression that values chemically created photographs greater than digitally created photographs. In my opinion this is not fair. You can take an image you created in a darkroom and tell people you did it in photoshop and it will be dismissed as mediocre. I don't like hierarchies that emphasize technique, distorting the value of the final image. You have a tactile based form of artistic expression and a cereberal based form, by not emphasizing which form was used in creating the final image, I think this site is better off.
    "I don't like lizards", Frank Reynolds.

"At one time there existed a race of people whose knowledge consisted entirely of gossip", George Carlin.

Not at all over-zealous, until you start burning digital cameras
    Last time I shot film was 2 years ago, while all 3 of my digitals were in for cleaning
    Not a problem with film ...
    PAul

Thank you for raising a very valid point reverberation. There can be a lot bias based on a particular method. I have also seen the other end of that where digital users have snubbed film shots thinking film was inferior to digital photography. This site is pretty well rounded and I would hope that things would never get to that point. A good shot is a good shot regardless if it's shot on a $20 digital pen cam or a $40k Hasselblad. Unfortunately, until everyone realizes it's the photographer and not the equipment, there will always be ignorant people. For me film was a choice. I just enjoy the whole process of film. As I stated before though my intent is by no means to create a place to post film shots that would be separate from digital shots. Will there be film shots posted in a film forum? Sure there will. That's no different than people posting bird shots in Nature and Wildlife instead of Viewfinder. Same thing for the Sports forum. Primarily I would just like to see a place where film related topics are discussed without them being buried under the masses of digital questions. Plus, I think it could also help to draw in new members.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

So what does the Captain think about this?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    ...until you start burning digital cameras ...
    Why would I burn them? The "exchange rate" of digital cameras to film cameras is too high...LOL I could easily get a real nice film camera with the value of a lower end digital camera To burn them would be stupid. I'll just pawn them...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Technique is universal. A film forum's only draw would be to discuss the only things that make film unique, in other words developing. Thing is, all the techniques are discovered and well documented, there is next to nothing to bee gained by creating a place for it here.

I'm one of the three people that voted for option 3.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Technique is universal. A film forum's only draw would be to discuss the only things that make film unique, in other words developing.
    Yes and no, a few examples - with color and b&w neg film I'd usually shoot 1/3 or 2/3 stop overexposed to keep the shadow areas cleaner, with slide film I'd be careful to be sure I had my subject (only) properly exposed or decide if I need to use flash to lower the scene's contrast - but with digital I'll keep an eye out for highlights that might blow out and have tried (but generally don't worry about) the technique of "exposing to the right" as described at Luminous Landscape. The technique of metering itself is universal, but what I choose to do with that information can change based on the media that I use.

As I see it, the hope/goal of a Film Forum is to discuss some of those differences as well as what almost seems like the lost art of darkroom printing. A lot more people still do their own developing and scanning (which would be a fair topic there too, I'd think) but it's still a small group compared to people who are only working with digital.

Another topic that's mostly (but not exclusively, at least among all but top product and architectural photographers) film would be large format cameras. Just thought of that now, not sure if there's anything to work with on that...

I don't think slide film shooters would really stand to benefit too much because it's really just a matter of being good with metering and understanding exposure. Once you press the button you're done, other than scanning technique. Color neg might not gain much either because the options for home development with this and slide film are disappearing (or have disappeared) due to the availability of chemistry, as I've been told.

I completely agree that once the final print or digital version of the image is made it should be about the photography and not the route taken to get there. But having this site show a real interest in drawing serious film shooters could bring up the membership.

Yes and no, a few examples - with clip...

Another topic that's mostly (but not exclusively, at least among all but top product and architectural photographers) film would be large format cameras. Just thought of that now, not sure if there's anything to work with on that...
    Large format camera's make great Microphotography cameras
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Yes and no, a few examples - with color and b&w neg film I'd usually shoot 1/3 or 2/3 stop overexposed to keep the shadow areas cleaner, with slide film I'd be careful to be sure I had my subject (only) properly exposed or decide if I need to use flash to lower the scene's contrast - but with digital I'll keep an eye out for highlights that might blow out and have tried (but generally don't worry about) the technique of "exposing to the right" as described at Luminous Landscape. The technique of metering itself is universal, but what I choose to do with that information can change based on the media that I use.
    Yes, but you just summarized the entire spectrum of exposing for negative, slides and digital. Can you or anyone else elaborate on the above enough to justify another forum? As for large format cameras, once you move past the perspective adjustments, what else is there? Besides esoteric developing methods everything else about photography is already well represented with existing forums.

The thing is, the best practices for anything in film are already well established and an entire film forum would be summed up in one well-thought out FAQ. Film is no longer changing, whereas digital is evolving. There is nothing *new* to be shared really on the film side anymore, it's all just passing on of already present knowledge. Not that I'm against that, I just don't think it's worth adding yet another item to the long list of forum choices here.

Forums thrive on new content, not rehashing of the old. Once all the pertinent information was posted inside it, I think a Film forum would simply die. Searches would bring up answers to questions and anything that was asked would be directed to already existing posts. At best, it would become a difficult to read, broken up FAQ. At worst, those that asked about items already covered would be chastised for not doing a good enough search, and existing members would get frustrated with the same things asked over and over again.

Yes, it'd be great for the people that enjoy it to be able to go into a room and chat about everything they know. But once they have shared everything, is there enough to justify keeping the room open? That's my ultimate concern.

Granted, I'm probably WAY over-analyzing this, but my mid is just stuck in that mode right now...

Anyway, friends don't let friends shoot sober. ;)
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

But having this site show a real interest in drawing serious film shooters could bring up the membership.
    Which I think we all feel is important.

I agree with Seb on some of what he said, mostly about film techniques being well documented, but they haven't been here.
    I know that a forum like this won't be getting as many hits as most forums, but I do feel it is a valuable on to have.
    Maybe we could do a way with one too, like the Web Forum, there hasn't been a lot of activity there lately and I don't know the last time I saw Peter, the forum's moderator, online.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information