ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would love to see a Film Forum and would contribute regularly!

16 53.33%
  • Film is cool and all but, I don't think there is a real need for a Film Forum

11 36.67%
  • Film is dead, get out of the Stone Age!

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

I think the consenus on this matter is yes!
    I believe that the differences between the two warrant a Film Forum, becaue they are very different once you get past the basics.
    I also believe that the basics of photography should be taught with film, so that you can understand and appreciate the the differences. But of course, that is another mattter.
    Brian
    Aaron for Film Forum Moderator!
    :thumbsup: :biggrin5:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    All it takes to be a mod is passion for the subject.
    If this does happen, I guess I'd be willing to co moderate with you.
    But I won't promise that right now.
    Brian
    Well, I have found a passion in it. If this is something that ends up happening, I would be willing to mod but, would greatly appreciate a co-mod to help pick up the slack of my inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    It can't hurt.

I'm thinking that folks would discuss film questions, issues, etc.

Adina has some good points though - I don't think that anyone will post images for critique in the Film forum saying "hey this was shot on Kodachrome, not digital - what do ya think?"

But, I've noticed that the Help is slowing becoming almost totally digital questions about memory cards, PS levels, etc, etc.

In all, I think a Film forum is worth a shot.

GB
    I don't necessarily think it would take away from other forums for posting shots. I mean I'll still post shots I want critiqued in the Photo Critique Forum. Though I guess if a Film Forum did go through, if I had an outing I wanted to share, I would most likely post it in the Film Forum instead of Viewfinder just for the sake of helping to increase traffic in that forum and maybe get some people thinking, "Hey people are still out shooting film. Maybe I should break out the old 35."

Thanks for chiming GB, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I originally voted no, but I'm having second thoughts. I see the merit in having a film forum, but I just don't know that it will get the trafic to support it. It would be great to get new people on the boards tho.

I still shoot film once in a while, but like Rick said, I don't see a need for a separte film forum for what I do. Photography is photography, no matter if you shoot on film, or on a sensor. Yes, I know there are some techincal differences between them, but most of the basics (aperture, shutterspeed, exposure, composition, etc.) are the same if you shoot digital, 35mm, MF or LF.

I have had specific film questions in the past, but I never felt that I couldn't ask questions in the forums we already have.

But on the other hand, a film forum may encourage me to get an old TLR that I have been thinking about for a while.
    Ooo, get the TLR! Soooo much fun and cheap as hell right now! $100 will get you decent Rolleicord or a nice Yaschica :thumbsup:

I agree, photography is photography no matter the medium. I wouldn't expect a Film Forum to take away from say the Nikon forum. If you have a question about your Nikon film camera I wold still expect it to get posted in the Nikon Forum. However, there's plenty of room for discussions on different films for different shoots, developing techniques, color correction filter uses, alt techniques, discussion on film cameras like old TLR's, etc.

Thanks for contributing to this thread mjs :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

...Aaron for Film Forum Moderator!...
    Be scared... Be VERY scared!
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Whatever!
    :thumbsup:
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

GB1

When you want something done RIGHT, gotta do it yourself, yeah?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

There is really no reason not to have a film forum. There are couple of other forums here that don't get lots of traffic but hold their own anyway. Look, if ABC can glorify the caveman, we can glorify film!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    ...Look, if ABC can glorify the caveman, we can glorify film!
    ROTFL!.... I need to add that to my sig
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    There is really no reason not to have a film forum. There are couple of other forums here that don't get lots of traffic but hold their own anyway. Look, if ABC can glorify the caveman, we can glorify film!

I find it funny with this dicussion that the Camera Review Of The Day is a film camera...
    The Leica M4...
    Scroll up or down and look at the right column >>>

Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

I find it funny with this dicussion that the Camera Review Of The Day is a film camera...
    The Leica M4...

Brian
    Very fitting I'd like to try one someday to see what all the fuss is about.

Time to go huff some fixer. I have a roll of Neopan that's not going to develop itself
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Very fitting I'd like to try one someday to see what all the fuss is about.

Time to go huff some fixer. I have a roll of Neopan that's not going to develop itself
    I have handled a few different Leica models, and they are a very solid and well built camera, but I just can't get over their price!
    So, I'll stick with my Voigtlander and of course my Holgas.

How many rolls have your processed in the past few months or so?
    Certainly a lot more than I have, even though I have probably shot more than you.
    That's why I think you'd be great mod!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

MB1

My feeling is that this site isn't all that active anyway. Splitting off into one more sub-group is only going to dilute all the other forums already on this site.

I'd be happy enough with just one or two non-brand specific forums that had more activity and participation. I count 24 forums already-not counting the mods forum that I assume exists.

I vote no but don't have a problem is TPTB decide otherwise.

BTW of course I still shoot film as well as digital. Film for pleasure, digital for the money and the internet. I'm not concerned about the medium but the result.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I would be willing to mod but, would greatly appreciate a co-mod to help pick up the slack of my inexperience.
    Let's see - this is post #37, Aaron is in here 13 times and Brian 8... Guess I see a mod and a co-mod! Really though, the whole thing is up to John. (Something about somebody needing a life? )

MB1's point "I'm not concerned about the medium but the result" is a good one, and I agree with it but a Film Forum could (should) really be about the specific differences with that medium. Aaron mentioned that a question on a Nikon film camera should go to the Nikon forum and I agree with that (or Help is a good fit too). Questions and comments about the film that goes into the camera, how to process it and anything else specifically related to it could be part of a new forum. Scanning is also a part of film but before it's decided whether or not to go ahead with this, maybe we should clarify whether those are Digital Imaging or Film questions (could go either way, especially based on the question). That's how I see this fitting in - not for critiques or just sharing images taken on film.

The Leica M4...

Brian
    Not only is it a film camera, but it's one that has been out of production for 32 years and still someone feels the urge to write a review on it.

Paul

I have handled a few different Leica models, and they are a very solid and well built camera, but I just can't get over their price!
    So, I'll stick with my Voigtlander and of course my Holgas.

How many rolls have your processed in the past few months or so?
    Certainly a lot more than I have, even though I have probably shot more than you.
    That's why I think you'd be great mod!
    Brian
    I know what you mean about the price Many other cameras I'd rather have for that price. I could get myself a mint Rolleiflex and a Hasselblad

Just took a count and so far in the past 2 months I've developed 11 rolls of 35mm and today's roll makes 19 rolls of 120. Plus I have a few rolls of Portra and Ektachrome that I need to get to a lab.
    Last edited by Xia_Ke; 10-30-2007 at 11:26 AM.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    MB1's point "I'm not concerned about the medium but the result" is a good one, and I agree with it but a Film Forum could (should) really be about the specific differences with that medium. Aaron mentioned that a question on a Nikon film camera should go to the Nikon forum and I agree with that (or Help is a good fit too). Questions and comments about the film that goes into the camera, how to process it and anything else specifically related to it could be part of a new forum. Scanning is also a part of film but before it's decided whether or not to go ahead with this, maybe we should clarify whether those are Digital Imaging or Film questions (could go either way, especially based on the question). That's how I see this fitting in - not for critiques or just sharing images taken on film.
    But look at the overlap that already exists. "Digital Cameras" and "Digital SLRs." Uh...same thing. There will always be overlap, but having the film forum will give people the opportunity to decide where it will get the most attention. Currently, film related questions are lost in the overwhelming mix of digital questions. People don't see them and that discourages more film related questions.

I think there are plenty of film specific topics to be discussed. Just go look at APUG (22,756 members) or RFF (17,686 members). Notice the topics being discussed and consider how out of place they would be in our existing forums. Together, those sites have almost exactly as many members as this site. The interest exists, but those people go elsewhere because this site is simply not film friendly. I'd love to see PR.com become one of the few sites that caters to both film and digital users. A more diverse crowd of people will provide more learning opportunities for everyone.

Paul

Let's see - this is post #37, Aaron is in here 13 times and Brian 8... Guess I see a mod and a co-mod! Really though, the whole thing is up to John. (Something about somebody needing a life? )...
    I know, I know It's all good though. I have Monday's and Tuesday's off and my goal for this week was to do a good thorough Fall cleaning (that translates to cleaning up a ton of cat hair from out behind the furniture...LOL) Plus, I've been lazy and haven't made it to the store to pick up some orange clothing. Hunting season started fully yesterday and closest safe hiking spot is over an hour drive
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Talking Re: Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?

Let's see - this is post #37, Aaron is in here 13 times and Brian 8... Guess I see a mod and a co-mod! Really though, the whole thing is up to John. (Something about somebody needing a life? )
    No one likes a smart ass Steve!

Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Not only is it a film camera, but it's one that has been out of production for 32 years and still someone feels the urge to write a review on it.

Paul
    That speaks volumes right there! My new favorite is the Rolleicord V which judging by the serial number was made around 1955 or 1956. Thing is built like a tank!
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Just go look at APUG (22,756 members) or RFF (17,686 members).
    35,210 here! :thumbsup: Of course in that number are a lot of members with no (or almost no) posts. And quite a few are digital only, but your point being that there are a lot of people shooting film is obviously true. Kodak and Fuji still come out with new films (Kodak's recent B&W announcement is only one of several I've seen between these two in the last couple of years) and I believe that film will still live on even if these two stop making it.

The overlap already here is probably my biggest concern (again, I don't call the shots). A question about a Nikon D200 could potentially fit in Help, Digital SLR's, Nikon, Digital Imaging...

Just took a count and so far in the past 2 months I've developed 11 rolls of 35mm and today's roll makes 19 rolls of 120. Plus I have a few rolls of Portra and Ektachrome that I need to get to a lab.

WOW! You win!
    I can't say that I have shot that many rolls, but it might be close.
    A lot of my photography money this year went the the exhibit.
    Brian

高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

...I think there are plenty of film specific topics to be discussed. Just go look at APUG (22,756 members) or RFF (17,686 members). Notice the topics being discussed and consider how out of place they would be in our existing forums. Together, those sites have almost exactly as many members as this site. The interest exists, but those people go elsewhere because this site is simply not film friendly. I'd love to see PR.com become one of the few sites that caters to both film and digital users. A more diverse crowd of people will provide more learning opportunities for everyone.

Paul
    And think about how dedicated those members there are. Look how many people, myself included , have purchased subscriptions at APUG just to help keep the site going.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Veddy Veddy Interesting!

I'd be totally down for this! As the world races towards digital, there are others running the other way - especially with the aggressive, hip marketing of sites such as http://www.lomography.com.

I'd be more than happy to switch my mod status from Fine Art to film...

Megan

Thanks Megan I thought this might spark your interest. Glad you answered my pm :thumbsup:

Since we're talking film, took the Rolleicord out in the backyard today to play around a bit trying to get a feel for how the Xenar handles. Nothing serious but, here's a couple shots from this afternoon's roll of Neopan...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?-10302007-6-2.jpg   Any interest in a Film Forum at PR?-10302007-4-2.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I haven't read this post until today because I know I'm not going to become a film guy again and thought it should be up to those who wanted it. As I read along I started forming an opinion, though, and that is that many of the better photographers at PR use film exclusively or partially and that if they had their own forum, the non film people would miss a lot especially when it comes to images.
    Aaron proved my point with his last post....fine images I would not have seen in a film forum.
    I do look at film related posts occasionally as there is something to learn no matter how the image is recorded.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have read some really great ideas but also feel that it wouldn't hurt to have a film forum. It would send a message to photogs surfing sites that PR has a great knowledge base when it comes to all aspects of film. I don't think Aaron means that he wants a forum to share pictures but to have a forum in which to post about different types of film and developing techniques. I know that PR has a " hidden" knowledge base with it's members that needs to be shared with others. I didn't know myself how many RF users there were until I ask for help. I feel PR needs to reach out to the RF users and let them know they are here at PR too.
    A film forum may not be the most viewed forum on the site but it's not so much about the traffic as it is about being a well rounded site that attracts the RF users too. I know I needed a lot of help picking out my latest RF, a Bessa R, and a few PM's from the members here really helped me out. The members also helped me pick out a lens.
    As far as Aaron being the Mod. I know he has studied hard and knows his stuff. He has helped me a bunch. I give him two thumbs up.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information