ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

(Amateur) 4th of July Photos

Alright, chances are you'll think my photos suck for the following reasons:

1.) I'm a newbie to photography
    2.) I'm only 15½
    3.) I just suck.

But I would really like to have you guys critique/rate/provide constructive criticism to my photos so I could improve. I intend on taking a photo class next year (11th) anyway, and I would like to have a headstart. By the way, I'm only using a 3.2 MP Olympus D-540.

Thank you in advance, ladies & fellas.

El Perro (the dog):

The quality on this one sucks for some reason.

My backyard (view):

Some pretty-lookin' flower that caught my eye.

(Taken on July 3rd). The sky was freakishly pink, and since pink is my favorite color i decided to whip out the camera and shoot this one.

(Taken on July 4th)

Fireworks:

These fireworks were WAY FAR from my backyard, so I had to zoom in so much that it reduced the quality.

They both came out as mess-ups obviously, but i decided to post them anyway because i thought they appeared to be pretty interesting.

in this one, you can see the firework (the purple streaks) shoot it's way up higher towards the sky right before "exploding".

i messed up in this one since my hands weren't completely still when the picture was taken. the red "fireball" apparently was the firework, and the remaining lights (below) were just the lights of the houses below.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

oh please!

the first and the fireworks are the only ones that are less than desirable!

in the first your shutter speed was too slow or you shake alot......

AND

LONG EXPOSURES as you needed for the firework DEMAND a tripod or some sort of solid support to get sharp images

my only suggest besides the above mentioned is to het to your subject's eye level(or level of your subject). a downward angle ISN'T WRONG, but a straight on shot is more pleasing to the eyes ;)

KEEP SHOOTING!!!!!!!! the more you shoot the better you WILL SHOOT
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    the first and the fireworks are the only ones that are less than desirable!

in the first your shutter speed was too slow or you shake alot......

AND

LONG EXPOSURES as you needed for the firework DEMAND a tripod or some sort of solid support to get sharp images

my only suggest besides the above mentioned is to het to your subject's eye level(or level of your subject). a downward angle ISN'T WRONG, but a straight on shot is more pleasing to the eyes ;)

KEEP SHOOTING!!!!!!!! the more you shoot the better you WILL SHOOT
    Yes, for fireworks you do need stability - I shot a bunch of fireworks and had to use the end of a diving board for stability (especially since I had a few too many drinks!) but I had some great and some really wierd looking blips in a blob. It just takes practice and learning composition - and using the natural light to your advantage - that is something I worked on. A freind of mine is obsessed with infrared photography, but she had to do it for a year before she became extremely pleased with it (and not many place develop so you need to learn to do it yourself to produce your disired results). Funny thing is, she can't do digital photography to save her life! lol I like the shot of the German Shephard - play with angles and light - remember to try to avoid backlight or the image turns out black, and if you have too much light from the side you can get a red haze.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Cool keep on shooting

I'm a newbie too. Only been shooting for about 6 months now. If there's one thing I hear from every photographer I talk to is that inorder to become good you just have to keep shooting. Always have your camera close by for those unexpected photo oppurtunities. Here's a link to a portfolio I have at photo.net. Feel free to tell me what you think. Just remember that good photos come with experience. By the way, I love your shots of the sun set...or is it sun rise
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-...user_id=992767

Quote Originally Posted by tubaman2010
    inorder to become good you just have to keep shooting
    Yes. Like Paul says, you will improve the more you shoot. And posting here (actually the Critique board) is a great place to get other people's opinions on if what you're doing is working. Sometimes stuff I shoot I think is pretty cool, but no one else does. I give it a little time and then see what they're talking about. Other stuff just grows on you. Hard to explain.

It's also good to take a class or get a book - or both. Got a local camera club? Go to art museums. Look critically at photography in magazines. It all helps.

Tubaman, you have some unique shots. Most people - especially (self-described) newbies wouldn't crop like that, it's usually the other problem. I like that, it's a good thing. Do something different.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Are you sure?

Only 6 months? I don't believe it, these are too good
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Hey Radical -

Stick with us, we'll get ya goin'

I agree with what everyone else has said. I think your 3rd one of the dog is yoru best. Your lightening there is strongest. Also, your July 4th sunset is nice. I think you've got an eye, just keep shooting (easy because you're digi) and you'll pull through just fine. Visit the critique board here to get more inspiration and pick up a photography book from the local library to learn about composition, rule of thirds, shutter speeds, etc, when you are ready.

Off to a great start!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information