ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Allow me to introduce myself...

My website is up and running, so I thought I'd share: http://stevemuntz.com/

I went with a template site from artspan.com, who has advertised here. It's pretty easy and inexpensive - and they are excellent at helping you with it. The only problem I had was with transferring the domain name that I registered a few months ago. This wasn't their problem, but they helped me get it done. It's very easy to change images or anything else by yourself, too. I recommend it if you're thinking about a site but not sure what to do.

I can understand now how people's websites continually evolve. The sixteen images (some of the regulars here might recognize some) will change from time to time - a couple in particular. But now I've got a site, and now I can (better!) promote it. I'll probably do a custom site in a year or two, but this got the project done for now. Thanks especially to Sebastian, Asylum Steve and Peter for answering too many questions...

Liz

Smile Congratulations!

The website looks good - it's simple, easy to navigate. Clean - no distractions (pop up ads, etc). I like the page set up with your photos. They're easy to see, not too small or piled on top of each other.

I really liked your work. I love the canoes.....you've done some nice work that I haven't seen before.

One nitpik - I couldn't figure out how to return to the first page so I could choose which image I wanted to view. I personally like to pick & choose from a thumbnail vs a number.

Nice work.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    One nitpik - I couldn't figure out how to return to the first page so I could choose which image I wanted to view. I personally like to pick & choose from a thumbnail vs a number.
    Thanks, Liz - I appreciate it. You know, it took me a minute to figure out too - I wish they at least had a "Home" button. I don't think that would be a huge thing for them to add; I'll suggest it. I like sites that have thumbnails at the bottom or side that you can scroll through and see a larger version at the center of the screen, but I'll have to wait for a custom site to do that. The thumbnails here are pretty big so you can clearly see what the shot is, but the downside is that there are only six on a page (site max is 18 images per person).

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Thumbs up Great Start!

So your name is Steve then and not "another view"?
    Right On!

Great start to your site! I have had mine up for a little more than a year now, so I know all too well about what you are going through and will be going through!

Did you do it yourself? What did you use anyway?

Good Luck!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    So your name is Steve then and not "another view"?
    Right On!

Great start to your site! I have had mine up for a little more than a year now, so I know all too well about what you are going through and will be going through!

Did you do it yourself? What did you use anyway?

Good Luck!

Brian
    Thanks, Brian. Yep - that's the real name, no more witness protection program for me! To do a site at artspan.com, all you have to do is go to their home page, fill out an application with your bio and contact info, then e-mail them the images to them (same size as you post here). They set it up for you, then you can go in and change anything around, including background colors. Very easy.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hello Steve...

Sounds good!

I know you will come to love and hate having a website.
    It's one of those labor of love kind of things!

Good Luck!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Wow

That is a really awesome site. Great color choice; keeps everything focused on the pictures. Easy to navigate. Congratulations on getting your website up.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Steve,

Lookin good!! It works well. I LOVE that canoe sunset shot...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Pleased To Meet You

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    My website is up and running, so I thought I'd share: http://stevemuntz.com/

I went with a template site from artspan.com, who has advertised here. It's pretty easy and inexpensive - and they are excellent at helping you with it. The only problem I had was with transferring the domain name that I registered a few months ago. This wasn't their problem, but they helped me get it done. It's very easy to change images or anything else by yourself, too. I recommend it if you're thinking about a site but not sure what to do.

I can understand now how people's websites continually evolve. The sixteen images (some of the regulars here might recognize some) will change from time to time - a couple in particular. But now I've got a site, and now I can (better!) promote it. I'll probably do a custom site in a year or two, but this got the project done for now. Thanks especially to Sebastian, Asylum Steve and Peter for answering too many questions...

Great looking site Steve! Great photo's too! You obviously get around.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Liz

Lightbulb "Home"

I wish they at least had a "Home" button."

Steve -
    I think there is a "home" button because I clicked it - but it goes to the site home page that belongs to THEIR "home - the larger "picture" if you will.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I think there is a "home" button because I clicked it - but it goes to the site home page that belongs to THEIR "home - the larger "picture" if you will.

Liz
    I did see that, but I was thinking a "site home" or "artist home" etc.

Thanks Speed, Dennis and Sebastian. One of the nice things about this place is that the sites do load very fast. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't have used them.

The canoe shot is on Velvia. I "saw" that one evening when I was leaving the state park that they were at after an evening of kayaking. Of course, I had to go back about three times to have clear skies again to get that shot. Glad I did, a couple weeks later they got new plastic canoes...

Your site looks great, and you have some wonderful photos on there. Very impressive, so good work!

Ray

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Looking good so far...

Steve,

That's a pretty good template you used. I think a lot of people are now used to seeing online photo galleries presented that way.

Only one problem. The cat's out of the bag now that you're a very good photographer, even though YOU try to downplay it...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information