ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Aggrivated shooting in this humidity!

It's fogging up my lens! Unfortunately, I have to go from AC to Humidity constantly since I shoot luxury homes and the humidity is drving me insane. It's 104 today with really high humidity and I have to shoot an exterior from the top of a ladder - oh joy, this should be so much fun - NOT! Damned house is up on a hill with too many obstacles so it's the only way. What's a girl to do?! Well, hopefull I won't pass out from heat and fall off the ladder and konk my head today!

So, what's a good idea to beat fogging lenses? I tried letting it sit outside for a few minutes but it takes a lot longer than a few minutes to defog - so shooting is taking me forever! Not to mention i'm sweating all over the camera while shooting because at that point i'm melting! lol Wondering if my defogger for my diving mask would work.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: Aggrivated shooting in this humidity!

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    It's fogging up my lens! Unfortunately, I have to go from AC to Humidity constantly since I shoot luxury homes and the humidity is drving me insane. It's 104 today with really high humidity and I have to shoot an exterior from the top of a ladder - oh joy, this should be so much fun - NOT! Damned house is up on a hill with too many obstacles so it's the only way. What's a girl to do?! Well, hopefull I won't pass out from heat and fall off the ladder and konk my head today!

So, what's a good idea to beat fogging lenses? I tried letting it sit outside for a few minutes but it takes a lot longer than a few minutes to defog - so shooting is taking me forever! Not to mention i'm sweating all over the camera while shooting because at that point i'm melting! lol Wondering if my defogger for my diving mask would work.
    Oh my dear I feel your pain. I have had to give up shooting in the mornings altogether. The temp difference is bad enough, but the humidity is 100% here all year round so at a time like this my lenses fog even if they arn't cold.

Summer sucks here, I can't wait for fall!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Absolutely Almo! I live about 4 hours north of you, but it is so hot and humid here, I have slowed alot, and basically taken a break until Fall. Shame though, surely summer would have some decent images.

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    Absolutely Almo! I live about 4 hours north of you, but it is so hot and humid here, I have slowed alot, and basically taken a break until Fall. Shame though, surely summer would have some decent images.
    It's really hard on me because early morning is my favorite time to shoot, and a lot of my best shots have come in the morning.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

can you take all your outdoor pictures at once, then go indoors and take all those at once? keep the camera in the trunk while you drive, so that when you get out of the car it's not cold.

A blow dryer works too ... I dunno if you can find a battery operated one...
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    can you take all your outdoor pictures at once, then go indoors and take all those at once? keep the camera in the trunk while you drive, so that when you get out of the car it's not cold.

A blow dryer works too ... I dunno if you can find a battery operated one...
    Well if she drives a truck like me then the trunk is out of the question.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Thermal cooler...

The problem is not the heat and humidity outside, nor the coolness of the ac'd rooms inside. It's the switching between the two...

One thing you might try is one of those soft insulation coolers. Don't put ice or any cool packs inside with your camera. You want the temp in the cooler to be somewhere between the two extremes, say room temp (between 75°-80°).

Load the camera in the cooler before you start, then take it out briefly when you shoot both inside and out. Put it back in as soon as is feasible. By doing this you don't allow the camera to get too hot or too cold.

The difference between the camera temp and either extreme should not be enough to cause condensation...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Weeping uncontrollably is about the only solution!

I have worn eyeglasses longer than I've used cameras. Nothing works at all, and believe me, I've tried everything, Nothing can get rid of the fogging. Cameras are just as bad.

When trying to photograph at the Butterfly Pavillion in Denver, fogging was making photography impossible. I whined and complained until they allowed me to leave my camera bag overnight in the humid environment. By the next day, the fogging was gone. It does take a very long time to clear up.

Hey, here's a solution: move to the arid deserts of Arizona or Nevada!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Steve's idea might work to some extent, but can you wait a couple days? Here near Chicago the opressive heat has finally passed us by and it's in the 70's today (unusually cool for us here). Should get to you soon. This will make your life a lot easier!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Steve's idea might work to some extent, but can you wait a couple days? Here near Chicago the opressive heat has finally passed us by and it's in the 70's today (unusually cool for us here). Should get to you soon. This will make your life a lot easier!
    Unfortunately I shoot several tours per day of luxury homes - they all have central air so i have been trying to shoot outside first to see if that would help since the homes are always icy cold - but it's just too bad - today was 107 degrees and I was trying to clean my lens while up on a 6' ladder to shoot a home that was on a narrow hill - that was tricky! It's pouring out right now so i hope that will break this spell of humidity. This sucks!

I actually keep my camera in my bag in between shoots and assumed that would keep it protected from temp changes like it's supposed to, but going from 107 outside while shooting tours for a half hour to 65 degrees indoors is just too much for it. I'm also worried about condensation inside since it is a computer based camera (the rebels have a mini processor). I take my lenses off and seal the front to protect it from moisture and keep moist lock bags in my case. It's just something i'll have to deal with until the humidity is GONE!

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Two cameras...inside camera and outside camera.
    ----------------------------

Wink Chunk Stole My Idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Two cameras...inside camera and outside camera.

Use two camera's. Keep one in the trunk of the car, and don't take it inside. Keep the other one in your car with you, and keep it in a camera bag/backpack for transport to and from the house. That way, the outside camera stays warm, and the inside camera stays cool. That's the only practical solution I can think of, especially given that you are going in and out of multiple houses on any given day.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

have an extra $800?

I use rebel dslr! lol That's an expensive solution! The humidity is down today, thankfully, but my tours today were scheduled for next week now anyway - hopefully next week won't be humid!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Use two camera's. Keep one in the trunk of the car, and don't take it inside. Keep the other one in your car with you, and keep it in a camera bag/backpack for transport to and from the house. That way, the outside camera stays warm, and the inside camera stays cool. That's the only practical solution I can think of, especially given that you are going in and out of multiple houses on any given day.

Member:

Talking Re: have an extra $800?

I use rebel dslr! lol That's an expensive solution! The humidity is down today, thankfully, but my tours today were scheduled for next week now anyway - hopefully next week won't be humid!

I wish! If I had an extra $800, then B&H would have it and I'd have a D70! :-D

I understand your dilema.

How about a compact digital for the exterior shots - where framing, zooming and wide angle shots aren't as critical, and you're less likely to need/use flash? For $300 you'd have your second camera until you saved up enough to get that second digital Rebel.

Personally, I'm a big believer in having a backup. Easier with a film camera, since we're not talking as much money. I started with my N80 ($350), then got a K1000 ($125) for a backup. I finally got a used F5. I like having two Nikons, as the lenses, flashes, sync cords, etc., are all interchangable. I know it's a lot more for a backup digital, but it's definitely something to work toward IMHO.

Good luck with the weather!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Aw, c'mon Janie...

I use rebel dslr! lol That's an expensive solution!
    The two camera solution was so obvious, I can't believe I didn't think of it...

Janie, all pros have more than one camera body. And if they don't, they certainly should.

You are tempting fate with only one camera...

Too expensive? I thought your real estate gig was a virtual gold mine (pun partially intended). Think of it as fairly cheap business insurance...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Aw, c'mon Janie...

I was going to say two cameras too ... but I figured the expense would be an issue. But it's true what they say, that your camera is one of your cheapest investments...without it, you don't bring in money.

I always bring along my Rebel Ti (film) as a backup when my pictures are important.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information