• 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
    jbeanv
    Advice on getting started...
    Hello - I've always had a casual interest in photography but never really perused it. After now being laid off from a marketing job for the 2nd time in about 4 years, I've been thinking about it even more. I've started to do research on getting an Associates Degree in it.

How did you get started? Did you always know you wanted to do this for your career (if you do!) I'm just trying to figure out what to do next...
  • 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
    pafindr
    Re: Advice on getting started...
    I'm not a professional photographer but I do have a degree in advertising design so I had a few classes in photography which have helped me greatly.
    I have a few friends that are professional photographers but don't have degrees in it.
    One of them was an engineer until he retired and decided to do his hobby (photography) as a profession and stays pretty busy doing portraits and weddings.
  • 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM
    Old Timer
    I was a Radio/TV major with a minor in Journalism. I took one photography course in college and have been hooked for 40 years. Learn all you can and then decide. You will know soon enough if you have a passion for it or not.
  • 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
    Axle
    I had one unit in a grade 12 media English course. After that, I picked up a $5.00 1969 Minolta Hi-Matic 7s.

Haven't looked back since.
  • 03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
    GlenHumphries
    I started when the school bought a new fuji s9500, it was great to learn the basics, then borrowed a mate's dad's D70, then bught my own D40, now just bought a 2nd hand D200. All in the space of 21 months.