ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Opinionated Newbie

Cool Adobe saving everyone from a RAW Deal

I have not experienced this problem, but I figure dthat many here would be interested in the news...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6107089/

Adobe unveils new digital photo format
    Digital Negative Specification would unify archiving, editing
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 1:12 p.m. ET Sept. 27, 2004

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Adobe Systems Inc. plans to introduce a new format for digital photos on Monday in an attempt to create an industry public standard to make the archiving and editing process compatible across all types of cameras and photo software.

Most consumer digital cameras today capture images in the JPEG format, but a higher-quality raw photo format is gaining in popularity among higher-end and professional camera models.

A major frustration among photographers, however, has been how different digital camera makers use different, proprietary versions of the so-called raw format, industry analysts say.

That incompatibility has forced users, especially in media and other companies, to maintain multiple software programs to handle the raw photos taken by different cameras. It has also raised concerns that archived raw images could become inaccessible with future software.

The name is DNG
    Now, Adobe, which dominates the photo editing market with its Photoshop products, is proposing that its new Digital Negative Specification, or DNG, becomes a universal standard for the raw format. The San Jose-based company is also launching a free software tool that will allow users to convert the raw formats from more than 65 cameras into the DNG format.

Raw photo files contain all the original information captured by a digital camera sensor before any in-camera processing occurs and thus gives users truer images and more flexibility when editing. By comparison, JPEG photo files are compressed images that suffer some data loss.

Last year, Adobe began offering support for some of the raw formats from different cameras in its Photoshop program but decided that wasn’t enough.

Will camera makers get behind it?
    “Our customers have been struggling over the past few years. They see the flexibility of raw files but don’t want the pain of having to deal with different formats,” said Bryan Lamkin, an Adobe senior vice president.

Yet it will be up to camera makers to support the specification, which Adobe is making available for free.

“It will be adopted by many, maybe not this year, but within five years because it’s to everyone’s advantage,” predicted Paul Worthington, an analyst at the Future Image Inc. research firm.

Eventually, more consumer cameras may end up offering the higher-quality raw photo format as well, Worthington said.

Sebastian posted this info too. ;) GMTA?
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...5173#post35173

Looks like a good thing for PS users ha?
    Lara

Re: Adobe saving everyone from a RAW Deal

I continue to be surprised that Adobe has maintained it's support for this file format. It has not gained the widespread "standardized raw format" that Adobe hoped it would become.

It HAS become, at best, a transitional file format. The most frequent use of the DNG specification (that I personally am aware of, anyway) has been to make raw formats from newer cameras compatible with older versions of Adobe software. For example, I can take Raw files from the new Canon 5D mk II, convert them to DNG (with a continually updated converter that Adobe provides for free) and then open the DNG files in CS2 without incident.

For those not aware, Adobe quit updating it's Camera Raw converter for CS2 when CS3 debuted. Any new raw formats from that point on would not be compatible with CS2's software. But using the DNG converter allows me to make those new raw formats compatible without upgrading.

Considering this, how much longer Adobe will continue to allow this to happen, hoping against hope that DNG will become the accepted standard, is anyone's guess.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Considering this, how much longer Adobe will continue to allow this to happen, hoping against hope that DNG will become the accepted standard, is anyone's guess...
    Well, not sure reviving a four-year old thread is better than simply starting a new one, but as a pro, I can tell you I live by the DNG format. All my RAW files (Canon) are converted first thing, especially if they are going unedited to a client.

BTW, you can convert to DNG and still keep the original format file embedded. Yes, adds much to the files size, but a safety net if you're concerned about future compatibility...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Well, not sure reviving a four-year old thread is better than simply starting a new one.....
    Whoops, sorry. I was searching for another thread that used the name "Worthington", and this one popped up as well. Guess I should be more careful about checking the post dates.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Thread Information