Actual pix of the Tsunami

Printable View

• 02-28-2005, 09:29 AM
    GB1
    Actual pix of the Tsunami
    Since we're all photographers, maybe this is something everyone would like to see.

Not mine, but found on a digital camera in Thailand.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/galler...sunamipix-html
  • 02-28-2005, 03:53 PM
    jar_e
    Re: Actual pix of the Tsunami
    Just horrible. I saw this on the news a few days ago and can't believe the pictures survived, and somebody found them for that matter. What a horrible act of nature...

Jared
  • 02-28-2005, 10:23 PM
    walterick
    Wow that first picture of the couple is heartrenching. That is so much water! My respects to the dead and everyone who lost a loved one in that disaster.

Rick
  • 03-01-2005, 12:03 AM
    opus
    I just look at them and think, why was the guy standing there taking pictures? Why wasn't he running?

What would I have done? I think I would have run. What about you? Can anyone shed some light on why a person would stand in harm's way to get a picture or two? As a group of photographers, I think this is a pertinent and important question.
  • 03-01-2005, 03:12 AM
    gahspidy
    I think in this scenario it might have been hard to tell that this wave would come in as far as it did until it was too late. It is not that the wave is so tall, but rather that there is lots of ocean pushing in behind it, which would be difficult to tell until the last minute that it would rush in as far, and powerful as it had.
  • 03-01-2005, 05:47 AM
    Speed
    Exactly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I think in this scenario it might have been hard to tell that this wave would come in as far as it did until it was too late. It is not that the wave is so tall, but rather that there is lots of ocean pushing in behind it, which would be difficult to tell until the last minute that it would rush in as far, and powerful as it had.

I agree with Gahspidy - they didn't know they were in danger until it was too late. The wave was only 30 feet tall. That's a big wave in anyones book, but it wasn't the height, it was all the water behind it that did all the devastation. Water is a very powerful force.

I heard that the first warning sign was the water going out before the wave hit. Who knew? I do - NOW. If I ever see the water going out like that, I know danger is on the horizon. Tragic event to be sure. Let's hope we never see it repeated.
  • 03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
    megan
    It's weird...
    I'm a fraidy cat, and I think if I were laying on the beach and saw the tide go out like that, SO FAR, I would get spooked and leave. It's so hard to say what you would have done, but I DO know - that when I was walking up Church Street on 9/11, heading towards the towers to take pictures, I passed a church and as I passed it, I turned and walked over to Broadway and saved myself. I'm glad.

Back to our regularly scheduled posts...

Megan