ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Lightning shots...

Had a doozy of a thunderstorm blow through last night. I was able to set my tripod/camera up and capture several decent shots before the rain & hail started. After that, I hung out under a canopy we have at work and was able to shoot in another direction.

Here's one of the better shots, although it's a bit out of focus or the setup was moving ever so slightly. I'm leaning towards that possibility since nothing appears to be in sharp focus. It's more obvious on the file before reduction for the web.

Don't remember all the specs but in general was shooting 15 seconds, f/3.5 (wide open), 28mm (36mm on the 1D), iso 100. If anyone has some suggestions on how to shoot lightning I'd be interested in hearing them. This was an unexpected photo op that I jumped on and guessed at how to shoot it.

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Here's one looking in a different direction. This is facing part of the aircraft parking ramp, taxiway and southern end of the runway. The hill/treeline is a about 1 mile away from where I was standing. The blue lights are taxiway lights, the yellowish lights are runway lights. The orange/red light down low on the right is a lighted windsock.

This was a 6 second exposure, f/3.5, iso 100, 28mm. This one was cropped quite a bit and reduced for the web, no tweaking though.

If you're interested, I've got about 7 more on my website here: http://www.troybates.com/Scenic/lightning/index.htm

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Arn't you afraid?

Hey Troy,

I've thought about going out to take some pictures in the last thunder storm we had (since they're rare), but had second thoughts about running around with a metal tripod (lightning rod). I think lightning shots are really cool, but I better leave it to the pros.

Ivan

Cool Great Shots Troy

[QUOTE=I_Fly]Had a doozy of a thunderstorm blow through last night. I was able to set my tripod/camera up and capture several decent shots before the rain & hail started. After that, I hung out under a canopy we have at work and was able to shoot in another direction.

Here's one of the better shots, although it's a bit out of focus or the setup was moving ever so slightly. I'm leaning towards that possibility since nothing appears to be in sharp focus. It's more obvious on the file before reduction for the web.

Don't remember all the specs but in general was shooting 15 seconds, f/3.5 (wide open), 28mm (36mm on the 1D), iso 100. If anyone has some suggestions on how to shoot lightning I'd be interested in hearing them. This was an unexpected photo op that I jumped on and guessed at how to shoot it.

I really like the first one. I've been wanting to capture a shot like that for I don't know how long! Seems like forever! Great capture.

While I'm not an expert on lighting, you might try stopping down a little for more DOF - lightning is plenty bright!

Also try focusing at infinity, and/or on that hill a mile away. They may both be infinity, but give it a try. And let us know how it works out.

P.S. I am VERY jealous!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Looks good to me

This first one is very nice. I myself have never shot lightning. Not many thunderstorms where I'm living now.

Spike

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    *smile* I like these, and I wish I could post my lightning pics, but they were all done on film and I have no film scanner available at the moment. Decent lightning pics are really hard to get, but you've done a great job.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ichiu the thought that I was out on a wide open space and was the tallest thing within 50-60 feet and hanging onto a three legged metal device with high voltage discharges in a relatively near vicinity did cross my mind. Ultimately, I couldn't resist. At least until it started raining/hailing. I've got too much invested in my equipment to expose it to that!

Speed- I think I realized partway through shooting that I could, essentially, focus on infinity. I'm still not sure if it's out of focus or fuzzy from camera shake. If I get another opportunity, I'll change some settings and see what happens.

Spike & darkrainfall thanks for the comments!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thread Information