7 years

Printable View

• 04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
    drg
    Re: 7 years
    An external removable frame/bracing structure is one way to support the mirror. Making hidden mounting brackets that are attached to blocks (a variation of the toggles you have) that are attached to the mirror with mastic (the technical term for mirror glue) is another way.

There are several schemes depending on size, appearance, and shape. The mirror can be drilled to have supports that go through the face of the mirror.

The simple way is to get the glazier people who cut and polish the mirror to hang it! Then if they break it, they just go make another one and you do not have to pay for two!

I would recommend using a cement board type of drywall since behind a mirror can get very damp. This type of board is much better than green board. It is the same kind of thing you use for tile in a wet area. Totally waterproof and can even be obtained with reinforcement like wire or fiberglass strings in it.

If you want more details on DIY let me know.

Be safe and happy remodeling!
  • 04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
    paulnj
    Dude!!! SEAL THAT TILE AND GROUT ALREADY ;)
  • 04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
    walterick
    It's sealed :)

Damn, that stuff stinks!
  • 04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
    freygr
    You need to check how mirrors and pictures are hung. People almost always use the incorrect hangers. I have installed all my pictures and stuff with plastic anchors and screws. At work the construction works hanged a screen 6' with plastic anchors and it came down when a prof. pulled on the pull cord, luckily it missed him.
  • 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
    paulnj
    Well..... do it again were you left the shrine ;)
  • 04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    One town over a mountain lion was reported yesterday(that's 5 miles away) . I may go track that thing tomorrow . Mountain lions aren't scary ;)

Must be american cougars.:D :D :D Ours eat joggers!:eek:

Ronnoco
  • 04-28-2006, 01:02 PM
    OldSchool
    American cougars eat mountain bikers, and...
    dogs, and kids that run ahead on the trail, and other things...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Must be american cougars.:D :D :D Ours eat joggers!:eek:

Ronnoco

• 04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
    paulnj
    Re: American cougars eat mountain bikers, and...
    True. As they are the same thoughout there range(which is small compared to yester years), they are ambush killers. I have indeed seen one in NJ, though the eastern mountain lion was extropated from NJ in like 1890. I have also seen the florida puma and one in ontario. ALL wild and they walk away abruptly.
  • 04-29-2006, 10:16 AM
    ken1953
    Rick, if your going to leave that piece of mirror in the floor, make sure to seal it real thick with some sort of clear lacquer or something because you never know when you may slip and catch it just right and slice the bottom of your foot on a concealed edge. Just a thought.
    Ken