ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 50mm Walk About

Re: 50mm Walk About

Love the second one Liz. Perfect for the 50mm.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

One from me so far.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm Walk About-img_3381.jpg  

Okay last one, for today.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm Walk About-trump-tower-west.jpg  

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

One from today:

Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

50mm f/1.4. love the lens

I love mine too! I have two primes - the 50mm f1.4 and a Sigma 105mm Macro.

The 50mm f1.4 rocks! I love it for low light, night, and astrophotography. I also use it for portraits, but not as much as I should.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

2 weeks ago we took a weekend to go up to the NC Mountains for some golf and a tour of wine country (yes, they make wine in NC). The fall colors were spectacular and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. To keep it simple, I just used the 50mm all weekend. One side benefit, that I didn't consider at the time (because I'm not a pro) is that with the 50mm, the perspective wasn't compacted, which was perfect for what I was trying to do! I will now think of that when choosing which lens to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm Walk About-dsc_2973.jpg   50mm Walk About-dsc_3003.jpg   50mm Walk About-dsc_3018.jpg   50mm Walk About-dsc_3117.jpg   50mm Walk About-dsc_3115.jpg  

OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

Quote Originally Posted by OBie
    To keep it simple, I just used the 50mm all weekend. One side benefit, that I didn't consider at the time (because I'm not a pro) is that with the 50mm, the perspective wasn't compacted, which was perfect for what I was trying to do! I will now think of that when choosing which lens to use.

I agree Obie the 50mm is a much overlooked piece of glass in most of our arsenals. That why I will sometime go out with nothing else just to make me appreciate more what it can do. Back in the old days the 50mm or 55mm was the standard lens that came with all SLR's. There must have been some reason for it.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Here are a couple more from my walk about with the 50mm. I may have use one or more of these in another thread. When you get to be my age the memory doesn't always serve you as well as you would like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm Walk About-dsc_1433-2-640.jpg   50mm Walk About-dsc_1428-2-640.jpg   50mm Walk About-dsc_1414-2-640.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Back in the old days the 50mm or 55mm was the standard lens that came with all SLR's. There must have been some reason for it.
    Its field of coverage (Canon's is 46° diagonally) is roughly equal to what the human eye can view with relative clarity.
    Also isn't it just what we're used to? For many the defining documentary instrument of the 20th century was the 35mm rangefinder camera with 50mm lens.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Its field of coverage (Canon's is 46° diagonally) is roughly equal to what the human eye can view with relative clarity.
    Also isn't it just what we're used to? For many the defining documentary instrument of the 20th century was the 35mm rangefinder camera with 50mm lens.
    And I use a 35mm prime with my D70 for this exact reason: with the crop factor it's right around 50mm.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Here are a few of my 50mm shots from the last few weeks.

The first two with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 (both with a little help from an extension tube)

The last three with the Canon 50m f/1.8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm Walk About-50mm-f1.4-cherry-leaf.jpg   50mm Walk About-50mm-f1.4-walkabout.jpg   50mm Walk About-50mm-f1.8-cat.jpg   50mm Walk About-50mm-f1.8-firepit.jpg.jpg   50mm Walk About-50mm-f1.8-rust.jpg  

Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

we took a weekend to go up to the NC Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by OBie
    2 weeks ago we took a weekend to go up to the NC Mountains for some golf and a tour of wine country (yes, they make wine in NC). The fall colors were spectacular and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. To keep it simple, I just used the 50mm all weekend. One side benefit, that I didn't consider at the time (because I'm not a pro) is that with the 50mm, the perspective wasn't compacted, which was perfect for what I was trying to do! I will now think of that when choosing which lens to use.

Where in the NC mountains?

And golf in the mountains???? That looks like a wicked course, with the sloping terrain.

There are several small, family owned wineries in NC. Actually, there are over 60!
    http://www.visitnc.com/what_to_do_wine.asp?s=fw

The closest to us is Duplin Winery, located in, Duplin County.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Here are a few of my 50mm shots from the last few weeks.

The first two with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 (both with a little help from an extension tube)

The last three with the Canon 50m f/1.8
    Loupey these are outstanding as usual. I never thought about the tubes with my 50. I use them mainly with the 105. Now you have given me something to think about.

Nikon Samurai #13

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Here are a couple more from my walk about with the 50mm. I may have use one or more of these in another thread. When you get to be my age the memory doesn't always serve you as well as you would like.
    Larry,

How big is the town you live in? Your photos remind me a lot of Mineral Point. I see your main street photos and they make me feel right at home.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Larry,

How big is the town you live in? Your photos remind me a lot of Mineral Point. I see your main street photos and they make me feel right at home.
    My home town boast of having 3000 souls in the city limits. What you see is pretty much what you get. That is the downtown area. We have two stoplights and a caution light in the downtown area. A few years ago a by-pass was built to get truck and through traffic out of downtown. We have a McDonald's and a few other businesses that have sprung up out there.

Nikon Samurai #13

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

My home town boast of having 3000 souls in the city limits. What you see is pretty much what you get. That is the downtown area. We have two stoplights and a caution light in the downtown area. A few years ago a by-pass was built to get truck and through traffic out of downtown. We have a McDonald's and a few other businesses that have sprung up out there.
    Sounds a lot like Mineral Point. We have around 2500 people, no stop lights, the highway by-pass was put in a couple years ago... No McDonalds but we do have a couple sub shops within gas stations on the edge of town. Lots of old, historical buildings that bring in lots of tourists. That's about it for us.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Wow Allison, that's a gorgeous shot of your daughter. Your portraits are generally great but this one is beyond that!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Thanks guys

Cropped, levels, contrast, blurred edges slightly, turned up the blue a little more.

Nothing...if your me and never tire of looking at ya own kids lol ;)
    Here is one of my pretty Dee Dee, (my new nickname for her )
    I was testing how well I could do with lenses in glasses and bouncing my flash.

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

How was this lit? I like the lighting on this one a lot. Looks like something reflective to your right was filling?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    One from today:

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

All the sun in the pictures, makes me envious. It's that we had last weekend a couple nice brakes in the rain but Sunday it was not fit for man or beast a OLD wet rain, all day! Not even a single sun brake since Saturday.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    How was this lit? I like the lighting on this one a lot. Looks like something reflective to your right was filling?
    Sun behind and to camera left, and gold reflector in front and slightly to the right.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Loupey, I love the shot of the old truck rear window.

And all your small towns look like citys to me, people.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Loupey these are outstanding as usual. I never thought about the tubes with my 50. I use them mainly with the 105. Now you have given me something to think about.
    Definitely give it a try. It doesn't take much (12mm) to make a big difference. Incidentally, the two knife shots I posted in your "edge" thread earlier were both shot with the 50mm f/1.8 with 12mm extensions.

One more shot: met this fella at one of the parks. Despite his puzzled appearance, he was quite vicious. At least he sounded like one vicious little guy. The f/1.8 version on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm Walk About-50mm-f1.8-dog.jpg.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Loupey, I love the shot of the old truck rear window.

And all your small towns look like citys to me, people.
    Thanks, Frog! If you care to see the front side version of this old Chevy, you can find it here:

Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust

Thanks again.

See my website HERE.

Woohoo! First snow of the season Been kinda sick but, couldn't resist running out to play for a bit in around the pad. Here's a few shots with the Oly OM-G and the 50...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50mm Walk About-11202007-1.jpg   50mm Walk About-11202007-2.jpg   50mm Walk About-11202007-3.jpg   50mm Walk About-11202007-5.jpg   50mm Walk About-11202007-7.jpg  

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Ahhh, thanks. I need to expand my skill set and think about lighting issues more so I felt I should ask to be sure. Thanks again for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Sun behind and to camera left, and gold reflector in front and slightly to the right.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information