ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Do you tihnk you can post something from last night? What equipment were you using? Maybe some of us can be of help. I actually find shooting fireworks to be pretty easy. WAY easier than events or portraits...

I can't stand shooting people...

BM
    Well, it hit me last night that I had forgotten to switch the lens from auto focus to manual, so there's a large part of my problem, right there. I should have realized it at the time, but I was so mad I couldn't think of anything else.....:lol:
    Live and learn, I guess.
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

I didn't get to see any fireworks until Sunday night, when the race track I shoot for had a fireworks display after the racing program.

I've been reading everything I can find on shooting fireworks, and this year I was actually somewhat prepared. I'd borrowed a tripod, and was ready to get the type of shots I have been wanting to get for the last several years. I set it right next to the door so I wouldn't forget it while I was getting everything ready to take to the track (orders, albums, gear, etc.). Of course, when we got to the track I realized that the tripod was still next to our door...

Oh well, back to hand held shots once again.

Because I'm the track photographer, I had to be on the track to shoot the final victory lane shots of the night. Within 10 seconds of taking that very last shot, the lights went out and the show began. So once again I was stuck shooting from a vantage point of less than 20 feet from where the fireworks were being launched, not exactly the optimum angle.

Anyways, shooting hand-held, from that angle, produced mainly the results that would be expected, in other words, mostly garbage. Here are a few that were at least marginally acceptable, but I'm still not happy with them. At least I know what I did wrong, and hopefully the next fireworks display I'll actually remember the tripod. Fortunately, here in western PA, I won't have to wait too long for another chance, as this region loves their fireworks....

Quote Originally Posted by Addies Granddaddy
    Well, it hit me last night that I had forgotten to switch the lens from auto focus to manual, so there's a large part of my problem, right there. I should have realized it at the time, but I was so mad I couldn't think of anything else.....:lol:
    Live and learn, I guess.
    I'm sure that was quite a bit of it - since the camera didn't see anything in focus, it wouldn't shoot (depending on what mode it was in if it's a Nikon SLR, anyway). Funny how frustration over the situation doesn't let you think clearly. This is why I always recommend that people shooting a wedding have a second camera...

Great shots posted here (including bmadau's remote flash shot). Although I did see some in the distance, I saw more rain than anything else...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-dsc_6136.jpg  

Great job on the fireworks guys. You all got some awesome shots. Joy and I opted to hit the recliners with a glass of wine while our kids took the grand kids to the fireworks. It had been a big family day with everyone at home for a July 4th bar-b-que and the old folks just needed some down time worse than we need the stimulation of fire works. But thanks to you guys I got to enjoy them too with out all the noise and hassle.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Losing Quality

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldTheMouse
    Some of my pictures; they kind of lost quality after uploading them.
    They look pretty good to me, Gerald. If they appear to change after you upload them, that means you've got a a color settings issue with the software you're using to edit them. Post a new thread about it on the Photography Software forum and I'll try to help you sort it out.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I was planning to take pretty traditional fireworks shots, but I wound-up camped out in the fallout zone. So I switched to my 50mm macro lens and pointed it nearly straight up. I kinda like the results...they're somewhat celestial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-fireworks-1.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-fireworks-4.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-fireworks-5.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-fireworks-6.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-fireworks-9.jpg  

Two More images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-fireworks-7.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-fireworks-11.jpg  

Fireworks Photo Tips & Mine

For those of you who haven't noticed (look at the "Latest Pro Reviews" promo in the right-hand column), last week I added a short article on taking fireworks photos. It has links to a couple of great fireworks photo resources on this site. And if you know of other good fireworks tips pages, feel free to add a link to that article page! The more links, the better that page will be.

Fireworks Photography Guide >>

Anyway, here's my one decent photo from this year's 4th of July fireworks. I was pretty lazy and just took my point-and-shoot. I wasn't sure if I'd get anything. But I like this one ok. It was shot handheld with the Canon PowerShot SD950 IS. Out of about 15 photos, this is the only one I like. Of course, I should have taken a DSLR and tripod. But it was vacation, right!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-img_1888.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Here are some I took in Alamogordo,, N.M. on our way home from a Colorado vacation. I didn't have a remote shutter release with me so I wasn't able to use the bulb setting on my D200. I ended up using shutter speeds of between 10 and 30 seconds at different f/stops and I set my white balance to Auto.

Since I was really close to where the fireworks were being set off, in order to get away from the crowd of people and most importantly the street lights, I had my Nikon 18 - 200mm VR lens set at 18mm. I wanted to get more of the foreground in, but I was too close to do that and get all of the bursts in (even at 18mm).

As I mentioned in the photo critique forum, I was so close that the burning embers were falling from the sky all around me and the fire department made me move back when they saw where I was set up.

These are my favorites from the 50+ shots I took. They are uncropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-leg_4684a.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-leg_4698a.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-leg_4700a.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-leg_4709a.jpg   4th July Fireworks anyone else shoot any?-leg_4724a.jpg  

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

John, that is a beautiful shot! All of these are matter of fact, maybe I will try next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i

Dylan,

That shot is awesome!
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

stormgirl, love those.

Sebastian, don't you usually shoot them too? Where's yours?

We didn't even see them this year. Girls made plans with friends, and we were lazy.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Sebastian, don't you usually shoot them too? Where's yours?.
    I went out of my way to not take any.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Behind the curve, as usual, here are a few of mine. Shot from our dock, lake Logan Martin.

All those lights are boats coming to see the show. My family is getting ready down on the dock.

Unfortunately, it was a bit smokey

The neighbors shot some pretty impressive ones as well. For scale, look right above the first "0" in my signature - that's a person!

My favorite single firework
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Great Photos, I was dead to the world during the evening on the forth. In the morning we picked up hay from the field for daughters horses (3 tons), then in the afternoon, went out and helped the farmer get in another three tons with our truck for a total of 6 tons by us. Help had to get home so after dinner I crushed and burned. It was a nice day.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Dylan,

That shot is awesome!
    thanks seb, means alot hearing that from you. :thumbsup:

our "neighbors" on the beach where shooting those off and i had already tripped my 15 sec shutter in the other direction so i only caught about the last half of that set, from like 20 feet away. but its def my favorite of the night.

everyone else has beautiful burst shots, but id like to see more with foreground elements in them.....
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Brad, those are awesome! NOW I know where to go next year, I miss fireworks on the water!

WOW! These are AWESOME!!!

Wow! Some of these rocked my socks off.

My 4th of July was spent traveling home from an all-state football game. We rolled in early evening and our fireworks show came out of a box! lol

It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Great photo's everyone!!
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    Brad, those are awesome! NOW I know where to go next year, I miss fireworks on the water!
    Thanks Lori! Logan Martin is a good place to be b/c we always get two shows - one from Pell City on the 4th of July itself, and one from Clear Creek marina on either Friday or Saturday night (depending on when the 4th falls).
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

I was pleasantly surprised once I cropped my pictures down out how well they turned out (hence it taking so long for me to post them!). I think I was more excited about the fact that I managed to get the settings all set up to do this. They are a long way from perfect, but I was proud The problem I found in a lot of the pics, minus us being to close and completely screwed up my aiming, was that there was a lot of smoke and it interffered with producing clear shots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information