ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Post Finding Models ?

:idea: Well i want to do some portraits and other art style pictures. Well i have no idea where to find some models at. Male or Female is fine. I posted some things on some classified ads around my area but nothing much came of it. I am just wondering how some of you find your models to shoot and any tips or suggestions. Thanks

Re: Finding Models ?

There are several websites that feature models for hire, among them onemodelplace.com, modelmayhem.com, glamour1.com, and glamourmodels.com among others. I started out asking friends to pose, then strangers off the street, paid some pro models...all to build up a portfolio. After that, it got much, much easier finding models to pose.

Cool i will check those out, i don't have any money to spend right now as im looking for work. You would think somebody with a film degree and multimedia degree would not have trouble finding a job lol. Most of my friends are camera shy lol. Thanks for the help !

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Try your local theater (theater group), and stress male or female, these days most women wont go alone anywhere for a photo shoot. Be will to shoot with more than one person there and that may help the fear factor for some.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Craigslist!
    Local theater group suggestion is good, if you're in the 'burbs. I always grab my ever-patient friends, but I'm fortunate to have a diverse group of friends that are artists, actors, performers or otherwise like to show-off.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

There are two types of models - the ones you pay and the ones you don't.

I started out with the ones you don't pay - people I know and see regularly who - suddenly I find interesting and I want to have a good picture of. So I offer to do their photo/book and they usually say they'll think about it and months or years later they suddenly say yes and then it's just a matter of doing it.

In my experience - this type of model does absolutely not want to have their picture on Internet or anywhere else and basically you wind up with a great portfolio that you can't use.

At least with the second type of model things are clear - you pay and you have a model release for three years. So far all the photos I've done that I've paid for have been done in clubs and associations - I don't know the model beforehand, I didn't choose her but I always manage to make something out of it because at least the model knows what she's doing (unlike the first group)..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

www.modelmayhem.com

cragis list

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

I guess I am one of the lucky ones where finding models is concerned then hey?
    If you attend camera clubs or workshops they may have models to pose for you too.

I have no idea what state you are in, but onemodelplace has a nice search engine and can tell you when the last time a model signed on. Non-Professional Models are going to run hot and cold so be prepared for some flakes and no shows. Also you need to decide how many images you are willing to edit and give to the model in exchange for their modeling. If you are unemployed, TFP(time for prints) or TFCD(Time for CD), is a good way for you to encourage participation from a model. Make sure you create a model release that protects you as well as the model and outlines your rights, the model's rights, and exactly what the model is going to get in exchange for their services. This protects you and the model to a certain extent. Most of all be professional and polite when dealing with models. Even in the model is not behaving in a professional fashion maintain your professionalism and control of the shoot. If you are friendly and get to know the model and allow yourself to relax, the model will start to relax and you will start to get the best out of yourself and your model.

I hope this advice helps you somewhat.

Jason

Thread Information