• 07-15-2006, 06:10 AM
    Old Timer
    1 Attachment(s)
    3K POST! You as a Photographer
    Wanted a thread to commemorate my 3,000th post since the new boards started. I had to re-register at the time and lost my earlier post. So here we go... I hope it will be one that a lot of people will participate in. What is the oldest photograph you have of yourself as a photographer? This could be a self pic or one that someone else has taken of you. I think we as photographers sometimes shy away from having our pic taken. Since I'm a little older than some of you here on the PR mine may go back a little farther in time but I'm sure not actual age of when you may have started. The oldest image I could find was from 1969. I was 21 and a photographer for my college yearbook and on the sidelines at a nightime football game. Here's a photo scaned from an old B&W 5x7 that my wife found while cleaning out a spare room last week.

It's the week end so you guys should have plenty of time to dig something up. Let see your photos.
  • 07-15-2006, 08:02 AM
    Chunk
    Re: 3K POST! You as a Photographer
    Nice 'burns, Larry.
    Your post made me look at my own post count. Yikes.
    Of your 3000 posts I think it is nice that so many of them have been made in support of other photographer's work and in furthering the sense of community we have here. My own and many other folks lives are richer for those posts, thank you.
    Personally, I think images of my work tell more about me than images of me and I'll let them stand on their own.
  • 07-15-2006, 09:00 AM
    JSPhoto
    The only photo of me I know of as a photographer I don't have, and you couldn't tell it's me anyway.....all you see is my legs and a race car in the catch fence above me :eek:

JS
  • 07-15-2006, 09:16 AM
    adina
    Hubba Hubba!!

I'll see what I can find.
  • 07-15-2006, 09:18 AM
    adina
    nevermind....still looking
  • 07-15-2006, 09:46 AM
    JETA
    OT, that is a wonderful pic. You are so handsome!

There are no pics of me as a photographer. I'm not sure I am a photographer. :)
  • 07-15-2006, 10:04 AM
    schrackman
    lol, I was only 4 years years old when that pic was taken, OT. Unfortuantely I've only been at photophraphy for a few years, so I wouldn't be able to post a pic of what would be considered my "earliest" work. Ask me again in about 20 years. :-)

Congrats on 3000!! I'm still trying to work on that 1K! You talk a lot. heehee
  • 07-15-2006, 10:38 AM
    Liz
    Wow! What a handsome young gentleman! Now we know what Jack will look like in 30+ years. I told you he takes after you!

OT - I just started in photography about 6-7 years ago, but only have pics since I switched to digital as I don't have a scanner. However, I'll immensely enjoy seeing all those who have pictures.

This is a great idea for a thread, OT.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Wanted a thread to commemorate my 3,000th post since the new boards started. I had to re-register at the time and lost my earlier post. So here we go... I hope it will be one that a lot of people will participate in. What is the oldest photograph you have of yourself as a photographer? This could be a self pic or one that someone else has taken of you. I think we as photographers sometimes shy away from having our pic taken. Since I'm a little older than some of you here on the PR mine may go back a little farther in time but I'm sure not actual age of when you may have started. The oldest image I could find was from 1969. I was 21 and a photographer for my college yearbook and on the sidelines at a nightime football game. Here's a photo scaned from an old B&W 5x7 that my wife found while cleaning out a spare room last week.

It's the week end so you guys should have plenty of time to dig something up. Let see your photos.

• 07-15-2006, 02:22 PM
    deckcadet
    I agree this is a great idea. Unfortunately no one ever takes pics of me while i'm shooting, and those that have been taken are lackluster. I've got about an hour before dinner...I think i'll stage one outside now.
  • 07-15-2006, 02:50 PM
    tink
    Have to say, you must talk a lot!! 3000 posts in just over a year! I haven't even made 200 ;)

What a cool dude you were back then!! What happened??? :D

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I dont recall ever having a pic taken of me years ago with a camera in my hand. The only one I do have was taken this year, by me, of my refection in the mirror!!
  • 07-15-2006, 03:07 PM
    Alison
    OT What a great idea!
    Unfortunately I don't have any pics like that of myself either.
    But I suppose I could post one of when I was younger. Say about the same age as you are in your pic. Would that count?
  • 07-15-2006, 03:49 PM
    Liz
    OT - one suggestion - you can take it or leave it. Since some of us don't have photos of ourselves, we could post some of the first pictures we took as amateurs. Mine would have to be "digital amateur" since I can't get any film photos up.

Liz

Quote:

• 07-15-2006, 04:22 PM
    SmartWombat
    I have one when I was 16 or so, have to drag out the print and get it up here somehow, not owning a scanner it may take a while.
  • 07-15-2006, 05:53 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I have one when I was 16 or so, have to drag out the print and get it up here somehow, not owning a scanner it may take a while.

So, Paul, how would you get it posted here? I have some photos I'd love to post (prints), but don't have a scanner either.

Liz
  • 07-15-2006, 07:48 PM
    deckcadet
    take a picture of the picture?
  • 07-15-2006, 07:53 PM
    Old Timer
    WOW!! Great response to this post, but not a single picture. I figures I'd get loads of pictures. Hope some of you can come up with some old images of yourselves as photographers. I always hung out with other photogs so we were always snaping away at each other. But if you don't have any than I think Liz's idea is great. We have had some similar threads over the last couple of years but they are always fun. Lets see some of your oldest images. I could start dragging out lots form the 60's you'd get a kick out of the outfits. If you do this I want a good story to go with each picture.

Sorry I took so long to get back to everyone but we took off for the day just after I made the post. I just got back home. And yes I did get to see Jack. Made the whole day worth it.
  • 07-15-2006, 07:55 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deckcadet
    take a picture of the picture?

That will sure work and it's pretty easy with digital. I did it several time before Chunk clued me in to the Epson printer/scanner.
  • 07-15-2006, 07:59 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JETA
    OT, that is a wonderful pic. You are so handsome!

There are no pics of me as a photographer. I'm not sure I am a photographer. :)

I was soooo young JETA. But the Pentax was a chick magnet back then. I was even hired by another guy to take pictures of my future wife. How about that for a way to meet girls. All's well that ends well.
  • 07-15-2006, 08:03 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    lol, I was only 4 years years old when that pic was taken, OT. Unfortuantely I've only been at photophraphy for a few years, so I wouldn't be able to post a pic of what would be considered my "earliest" work. Ask me again in about 20 years. :-)

Congrats on 3000!! I'm still trying to work on that 1K! You talk a lot. heehee

Gee Whiz Ray. I not only have socks older than you I have cameras that pre date you.
  • 07-15-2006, 08:06 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tink
    Have to say, you must talk a lot!! 3000 posts in just over a year! I haven't even made 200 ;)

What a cool dude you were back then!! What happened??? :D

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I dont recall ever having a pic taken of me years ago with a camera in my hand. The only one I do have was taken this year, by me, of my refection in the mirror!!

Post away with what you have Tink. And I didn't have any idea I was that gabby till I started to notice that post count.
  • 07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison
    OT What a great idea!
    Unfortunately I don't have any pics like that of myself either.
    But I suppose I could post one of when I was younger. Say about the same age as you are in your pic. Would that count?

Sure I think that would work fine we'll just photo shop a camera in somewhere.
  • 07-15-2006, 08:10 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat

Paul that is exactly what I had hoped to get. Look that sucker up and turn one of those Canon digital on it and post away.
  • 07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
    Lava Lamp
    Quote:

Wow. Do you still dress that well?
  • 07-15-2006, 08:58 PM
    Old Timer
    Only on special occasions. Kind of funny now when I think about how I roam the sidelines dressed today, but we aways dressup back then when we were shooting a game. Should have posted the full length version of this photo you would have gotten the effect with the bell bottoms and the angle high buckle boots.
  • 07-16-2006, 03:05 AM
    Alison
    Is this one any good? Not a very old image. I took it in November 2005 shortly after I got my Canon.
    Taken using a mirror and then flipping horizontally in PS so that the Canon sign could be read correctly :)

I also have one of Jenny (10) looking back on the images she has taken. Giggling at some of the funny shots. She wasn't even aware I took her photograph!
    She loves taking photographs and loves working in PS. Especially the selective colouring technique.

I think this is something I will make a point of doing with my children now. Taking pictures of them taking pictures. It will be nice for them to look back on. Thanks for the idea OT.