• 05-15-2006, 11:06 AM
    walterick
    24 hours of Photographyreview - Discussion thread.
    We talked about the idea of doing a "24 hours of photographyreview.com" in <A href="http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=20173">Michaels's thread</a> a few months ago. Well, lo and behold, June 1st is coming right up!

Is there any interest in doing our own version of this?

If you're not familiar with the 24 series, it is basically a photo assignment on the mass level. People shoot within a single 24 hour period whatever they happen to see and experience - work, family, sunsets, events, travel, etc. The collected works become a "slice of life." We could do our own experiment, with the resultant work being a slice of the lives of photographyreview.com members.

All that is required of you if you wish to participate is to photograph your slice of life between 12:00am June 1st and 12:00am June 2nd. We'll have a thread to collect the photos in. The collection will then be "24 hours of photographyreview.com."

Of course, this type of assignment lends itself to digital photography, but there will plenty of time for film shooters to post pictures as well. If you're not sure of what kind of subject matter to include, take a look at the links in <A href="http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=20173">Michael's thread</a> for some ideas. There have been released an "America 24/7" which I think was the first of these series. Then they have completed a 24/7 for all 50 states, and several different countries. The results have made into books; all the photography was shot within the same 24 hour period.

So what do you think? Do we have enough participation to make this fun?

Rick
  • 05-15-2006, 11:18 AM
    BMWJNKY
    Re: 24 hours of Photographyreview - World Photo Day June 1
    I think this is a really cool idea. Also with shooting digital we can see what time the photo was taken if you look at the file properties and post that info with the photo. It would be cool if one of the site admins could take the time to edit the posts so they go in order from 12am June 1st to 12 am June 2nd.
  • 05-15-2006, 11:22 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Just my two pesos...
    Rick, a theme is almost always good for those who have a problem thinking of subjects to photograph. I suppose what you suggest is an obvious idea.

Personally, it reminds of those, "Day in the Life..." books that were popular back in the late 80's and 90's,

FWIW, (I think) that's been done to death...
  • 05-15-2006, 11:25 AM
    dmm96452
    Sounds like fun. I'd play along! :)
  • 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM
    ken1953
    Hi Rick, I participated in the World Photo Day last year and had a blast. I would love to participate in one for PR, but if I'm not mistaken, World Photo Day is done on June 1st also. Not that it would make a difference to me, I'll still participate in both, but it would maybe be nice to choose another day so as we can have more than one day of opportunities.
    I also like the idea of a subject. World Photo Day uses "People" as a subject, but a general subject could be very interesting.
    Ken
  • 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
    walterick
    Would it be too much for the photographers interested to participate in both? I figured it would be a "kill two birds" kind of scenario. I thought that having them happen simultaneously would also draw more attention.

We can always move our own date. I do think that it should be "subjectless" however. I think that makes it more fun to make up your own subject :) Plus, it contributes to the "slice of life" feeling better imo. Thanks for all the feedback!

Rick
  • 05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
    Axle
    I'll play.
  • 05-15-2006, 12:42 PM
    Liz
    Great idea. I vote subjectless. More interesting, fun - and possible for everyone.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Would it be too much for the photographers interested to participate in both? I figured it would be a "kill two birds" kind of scenario. I thought that having them happen simultaneously would also draw more attention.

We can always move our own date. I do think that it should be "subjectless" however. I think that makes it more fun to make up your own subject :) Plus, it contributes to the "slice of life" feeling better imo. Thanks for all the feedback!

Rick

• 05-15-2006, 12:58 PM
    Old Timer
    Put a star by my name, I'm in sounds like fun.
  • 05-15-2006, 05:12 PM
    mjs1973
    I'm in, and thanks for the reminder on WPD.
  • 05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
    jorgemonkey
    I'm in, and lucky me, I got work off that day so I can spend the whole day shooting. Sounds like its gonna be a one day road trip for me :idea: :D
  • 05-15-2006, 07:01 PM
    ken1953
    OK...June 1st for WPD and 24 hours of PR...subjectless...I'm a definite "IN" for both...hehe...
    Ken
  • 05-15-2006, 07:21 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
    I think this is a really cool idea. Also with shooting digital we can see what time the photo was taken if you look at the file properties and post that info with the photo. It would be cool if one of the site admins could take the time to edit the posts so they go in order from 12am June 1st to 12 am June 2nd.

I kinda like this idea. Except I really don't see PJ pouring over the posts trying to keep them in order...

What we might do is segment the responses by having 4 replies they can respond to - 12:00am to sunrise; sunrise to lunch; lunch to sunset; sunset to midnight. That way when they are viewed all the pictures would be in order through the day. For folks who would rather not segment their pics they can always reply to the first post.

Sounds kinda complicated, but it might work. Other opinions?

Rick
  • 05-15-2006, 07:36 PM
    jorgemonkey
    It would be more work to scroll through or more clicking, but you could just do for seperate posts with different time periods, then (if we want) the Ultralords of PR.com could merge the threads together after a week or so. Just a random idea, but being extremly tired from commuting on my bike to work today I'm kinda delerious :aureola:
  • 05-16-2006, 05:53 AM
    swmdrayfan
    I'm in. If you are going to segment the times, I'd like to suggest "Sunrise" and "Sunset" segments. I think it would be interesting how we all saw them from our various points in the country.
    My .02
    John
  • 05-16-2006, 09:51 AM
    Chunk
    I'm in Rick. BTW, that should be ''48 hours of PR". :D
  • 05-16-2006, 10:13 AM
    Speed
    Count me in!

If it's clear, I'll try to get some star shots at 12:00 am on the 1st.
  • 05-16-2006, 10:19 AM
    steelerdirtfreak
    I think I'd like to give this a try. I've never done anything like this, and it sounds quite fascinating. Maybe I can start to learn to shoot something other than auto races!
  • 05-16-2006, 11:00 AM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    BTW, that should be ''48 hours of PR". :D

Um... am I missing something? Is my math off? :)
  • 05-16-2006, 11:01 AM
    walterick
    Cool! Looks like we are going to have a nice turnout for this! :D
  • 05-17-2006, 02:41 PM
    photophorous
    Hi Rick,

This sounds cool, but I'm a little confused about how it will actually work. Will you be posting more specific guidelines, suggestions, or a format or something? Or, am I missing something? :p

Things I'm confused about:

Will there be a theme?
    Will it be segmented?
    How many photos should we post?

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun here. I'm just eager. :)

Paul
  • 05-17-2006, 02:49 PM
    masdog
    Sounds like fun. Count me in.
  • 05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
    another view
    Thanks for the reminder, and count me in! Not sure if I'll do it for WPD again (no reason why or why not, I'll think about it) but I'll definately do something here.

Part of the challenge that I really liked was picking one shot. I say that we keep it at that, everyone OK with that? If we do a theme, how about something really vague; at least that could be interpreted in a lot of different ways. No suggestions on that yet...
  • 05-17-2006, 03:13 PM
    Liz
    Just my opinion - but I think a "theme" takes some of the fun out of it - and may leave some people out. We have a 24 hour time limit which is limiting in itself.

Liz
  • 05-17-2006, 04:03 PM
    walterick
    I agree with Liz here. A theme would limit the things people could shoot that day. The point is just to shoot whatever happens in your day - whether you find it or seek it out - and post it here. That's it! :)

I think that limiting everyone to one picture would have the same result. You wouldn't really get a "slice of life" that way. If someone wanted to document their board meeting or their trip to Russia, that wouldn't fit the bill anymore.

I am open to working this out with everyone so that we all can get excited about it. Hope to hear some more voices!

Rick
  • 05-17-2006, 04:11 PM
    walterick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    Hi Rick,

This sounds cool, but I'm a little confused about how it will actually work. Will you be posting more specific guidelines, suggestions, or a format or something? Or, am I missing something? :p

Things I'm confused about:

Will there be a theme?
    Will it be segmented?
    How many photos should we post?

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun here. I'm just eager. :)

Paul

Actually, "24 Hours of Photographyreview" is the theme. This is a photo project to express, examine, and celebrate the diversity of people on this board. We may get people hearding goats in Montana or rock climbing in Utah... who knows? Maybe we'll get a thread full of people staring at their computers!

As for the segmentation, I don't know we'll have to figure out if that will be too confusing. I think simple = better here given the amount of replies we may have. And the number of photos - if it were up to me, I would say any reasonable amount (don't dilute the impact of your work by increasing the quanitiy of it) but we'll have to work that out as a group. What would your vote be?

As for more specific guideleines, yes I'll talley all our decisions up in the final few days before June 1st and create a new thread for the photos. I am really curious to see what everyone comes up with :)

Rick
  • 05-18-2006, 06:08 AM
    another view
    Quote:

If someone wanted to document their board meeting or their trip to Russia, that wouldn't fit the bill anymore.

But a subject like "red" would have a lot of possibilities - at least with the second one... That's what I meant by a vague subject.
  • 05-18-2006, 07:54 AM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Actually, "24 Hours of Photographyreview" is the theme.

Cool. I'm not opposed to something like AV mentioned either, but I agree that being too specific would be bad.

Quote:

And the number of photos - if it were up to me, I would say any reasonable amount (don't dilute the impact of your work by increasing the quanitiy of it) but we'll have to work that out as a group. What would your vote be?

I think 4 or 5 shots per person would be a good average. I guess we could just decide on an upper limit, and then everyone can make their own choices about how many they want to post? Some people might not do much in 24hrs. :D

Quote:

...I am really curious to see what everyone comes up with :)

Me too. Great idea!

Paul
  • 05-18-2006, 05:35 PM
    walterick
    I think we'll leave this one as "subjectless" this time around. If we find that people have a hard time coming up with something to shoot we can always add a subject to the next one :)

I don't foresee a need to limit the number of photos here. If it gets out of hand we can cap it later

Awe shucks let's JUST HAVE FUN! :D
  • 05-19-2006, 09:33 AM
    boomtap
    I would like to do this. Sounds like somthing to do on a day that I probably would have done nothing anyway. It is kind of "a day in the life" type stuff.
  • 05-19-2006, 11:32 AM
    Kokopeli
    June 1 looks good to me.. Count me in. :)
  • 05-19-2006, 12:14 PM
    walterick
    Yo man! Where you been?
  • 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
    Kokopeli
    I've been lurking about. :)

How have you been? What part of the world are you calling home now?

Things here are about the same as when I last posted. Took a road trip across AZ and NM about a month ago, but didn't get many keepers from the trip. I actually think my photography has gotten worse over the past 2 years, though I'm really beginning to feel the itch to get out and shoot. Perhaps June 1 will light my photo fire again.

Great to see you are still around and rallying the troops!
  • 05-19-2006, 01:12 PM
    walterick
    I moved from Virginia to Arizona about a year ago. I'm enrolled in a school out here working on my Master's degree.

I love Arizona. If you ever drive through again and want some pointers on where to go send me a pm. Or if you're passing through Phoenix especially! I am trying to swing an Arizona Photogathering Sometime Before 2010 but you know how that goes...

How are your boys doin?
  • 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM
    Kokopeli
    Too bad I didn't pop in before my trip. We could have met up at Organ Pipes NM, or I could have headed into Phoenix and we could have grabbed another meal. I'd have liked to seen you again. :)
  • 05-20-2006, 05:25 AM
    pixel_trish
    Count me in!
  • 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
    walterick
    Cool :cool:

Since this is a holiday weekend coming up, I wanted to firm up the details for the 24 Hours of Photographyreview project today. The day is next Thursday!

I'm not sure we came to a consensus on any of the concerns here so I'll just make some executive decisions. Here's the dilly:

24 Hours of Photographyreview
    A project designed to show-off, celebrate, and explore the diversity of our denizens... using photography!

The spirit of the assignment is to go about photographing your world - from 12am Thursday morning, June 1, to 11:59 that night - and post the results! That's it. 24 hours of photographyreview.com, shot in many different states and many different countries around the world. I want to see keyboards, I want to see kayaks, I want see family and bosses. Whatever makes up your world, shoot it and post it!

We considered capping the number of posts one can make. I don't think that will be necessary but I encourage everyone to use discretion and pick your images carefully; in the case of storytelling photography, more can be less!

On Wednesday night I will create a "photos" thread and sticky it to capture all the posts in. If your time zone is different than mine, don't worry, just put the pictures up as soon as you can!

I will probably create different categories within the thread: Midnight through Sunrise; Sunshine through Lunch; Lunch until Sunset; Sunset through to Midnight again. That way the photos can be grouped by time if people want to. But you can also just hit "reply" and post as normal! I am especially looking forward to those who are making it a point to travel or do something special for this day. You are cool in my book :cool:

K, that's it. Let's talk about more issues and ideas before next Thursday!

Rick
  • 05-25-2006, 08:37 PM
    boomtap
    Where are we posting these images? Just in our Gallery or on the forum?
  • 05-25-2006, 09:00 PM
    walterick
    Jason,

Take a look at the last post I made in this thread. I am going to start a new thread next Wednesday night for the photos to go in. I look forward to your contribution :)

Rick
  • 05-25-2006, 09:19 PM
    boomtap
    I swear I missed that post for some reason lol! Cool I will have some sort of thing to post.