ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: 2011 Camera Of The Year Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Charles - both cameras have PASM modes. They're just hidden in the menu system.
    The "salesman" in Jessops used that as a reason to steer me away from the Nikon.
    He was pushing the NEX range, saying the E-P3 is the same sensor as the E-P1 so there's no difference netween them.
    So I guess you can see which he gets best commission for this week !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    That's an interesting idea. I don't see it happening, though. Nikon buys tech from other companies but I don't think they ever license their own stuff. My guess is we'll be seeing the Nikon 1 AF showing up in the next generation of Nikon digital SLRs - probably as soon as January. I don't see any reason they can't apply what they've done with the J1 and V1 to digital SLRs.
    So you beleive that this is a Nikon sensor? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

In a little defence for the Nikon I looked at the DXO marks. Some believe in them some don't. I do. If you look at the low light sports ISO mark I have believe those numbers to be accurate. Not so bad for Nikon considering the sensor is smaller than the E-P3 and is almost as good. I also agree that IQ isn't a big deal to many but I know it's very hard for me to get use to a certain quality of image, like in my DSLR and go backwards for any reason. I want my backup carry all to have good IQ as well.

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    So you beleive that this is a Nikon sensor? - Terry
    I believe it's a Nikon design - nobody else has the exact same size. The sensors in the D3S and D700 are also Nikon designs. Some of the other sensors have been Sony designs modified by Nikon (D70, D200 and almost certainly the D3X seeing the huge difference with the A900)

Nikon don't actually manufacture the sensors (they do make the optical stepping machines that are used in the process). It's probably Sony who make the sensors but Nikon have never said.

And for Greg's post about the DXO marks: the E-P3 has a fairly old 12Mpix sensor. That's one thing that stopped me from voting for it - there is a better 16Mpix sensor available used in the latest LUMIX 4/3 cameras. Olympus improved everything in the Pen series except the sensor which is rather a pity
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I am very excited about the trickle UP factor of this system to the pro level bodies.
    The Nikon 1 is not doing anything that pro DSLR bodies aren't doing better already with subject tracking. The only conceivable benefit for this use would be for Nikon to implement it with their live view and video recording on their DSLR's. Something Sony has been doing for almost 2 years now.
    [And if the noise level is so good in this tiny sensor, what will that mean for the new DX and FX sensors?
    The noise performance is ordinary, nothing special. It will mean nothing.
    The Nikon 1 system gets me excited to use for backcountry skiing, backpacking, mountain biking, dirt biking. Jam this thing in a pack and take it everywhere. No excuses not to take it. It is also cheap. All of these little micro interchangeable lens cameras are cheap as ****. Under $1000 for a complete system with all of that performance? You can't beat that. Not at all. Yes for a consumer camera $600 might be HUGE. But the reality is, you can't even buy a zoom lens for $600 for a DSLR. Not even a good used one.
    Yes, I'm aware, I've been following this market for a while, ever since the Micro four thirds inception where they defined the category 3 years ago. Now that they and Sony have created a market, Nikon comes in for a bite. Wouldn't be such a downer if it was a competitive animal. Phase detect points on a transparent filter is its one-trick pony, and its not that impressive of a trick. It still doesn't do single-shot AF as well as a Olympus, or continuous as well as DSLR, My A700 from 2007 does faster continuous than it. I've been shooting with a CSC camera for a while, I'm plenty familiar with its benefit. And I primarily use my Zeiss 50MM f/1.5, from the leica threadmount, manual aperture control and focus. If I put that on the Nikon, I'd lose most of the image with the tiny sensor.

For $600, I could buy a 135mm f/2.8 manual focus lens, the M43 adapter, the E-PM1 kit, a mf 50mm f/1.7, and a macro focusing converter, and I'd still have $20 left to buy a pizza.
    Yes there are limitations with IQ and DOF. Not just the Nikon 1, but all of these little guys.
    No, just the Nikon 1 and the Pentax Q. The NEX use the same sensor as is in the D7000, exact same DOF control. The M4/3rds bodies have a pretty substantial chunk of the image circle too, offering plenty of options for dof control and narrow focus, especially considering that they have fast lens options (Nikon does not). In fact, you can even adapt the Oly to a 35-100mm f/2, the zoom lens that is twice as fast as any and every Nikon zoom. The bokeh on that thing is beautiful.
    IQ is not everything with these things. Size is.
    The E-PM1, and the Panasonic GF3 are both smaller than the J1. The Olympus lens is more compact, with a larger image circle, and better optics (I can post if you'd like).
    If I need to get the best shots possible, I will drag the big gun out.
    Ok, I'll keep my Olympus out and still get the best shots possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by franglais
    the E-P3 has a fairly old 12Mpix sensor. That's one thing that stopped me from voting for it - there is a better 16Mpix sensor available used in the latest LUMIX 4/3 cameras. Olympus improved everything in the Pen series except the sensor which is rather a pity
    Thats the one thing?! Its still a better sensor than the one you voted for. And the processing on the 12 mpix is different this time around, its 12-bit raw and it can shoot up to 12800. It used to be 3200, and 8 bit raw.

Seriously guys, if you're going to try and toot Nikons horn at least get your facts straight....
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Dude you really hate Nikon! I think my next purchase will be a 1. And I think I will dig it for what I will do with it.
    Next time I need a good lens I will look into some old MF lenses. That should suit me well next time I am shooting supercross. I bet my keeper rate will go way up.
    For action there is another really important side to IQ. If your AF is slow your subject is out of focus. So any other IQ traits are lost. If its not in focus, it is junk.

The AF and FPS performance of the nikon1 are the reasons it should be the camera of the year. And what else this year is revolutionary. Yeah the Nex7 sounds great and I am sure it is. But go buy one today.

No no no no, I do not hate Nikon at all. I hate thoughtless brand based consumerism that bases itself entirely on popularity and social hysteria. Nikon cronyism is a serious problem in this culture, I'm sure you may have noticed. It distorts peoples thinking about the facts and lets Nikon slide on by with only pompous platitudes and not facts or technology. Nikon makes some pretty awesome Pro DSLRs, but they are certainly one of, if not THE least innovative company out there. At least, if the past decade is any measure. Name one lens they have that isn't a clone of another companies. Even their 135mm f/2.8 DC, which tried to copy minioltas 135mm f/2.8 T[4.5] in its focus transition, but doesn't even come close in terms of quality to the Minolta/Sony design. You should check out the Minolta/Sony 135mm f/2.8 T[4.5], it is one absolutely phenomenally beautiful lens. No other company has anything like it, too, Nikons "DC" version hardly counts.

The AF and FPS performance of the nikon1 are the reasons it should be the camera of the year.
    Olympus brought CDAF to the fastest it has ever been, Olympus single-shot AF is still faster than Nikon. And Nikons 30 and 60 FPS locked mode is limited to fraction of a second bursts of about 12 shots, not even the full 30/60. It also still lags behind Sony on its real FPS function.
    And what else this year is revolutionary. Yeah the Nex7 sounds great and I am sure it is. But go buy one today.
    Perhaps you think its a fault of Sonys that the climate of the earth felt it neccesary to flood the manufacturing plant. In spite of this problematic situation for sony, they still managed to send out a number of NEX 7's, including one over to our good forum buddy Greg. Did you really just use that to demerit the NEX 7? do you realize how ridiculous that is?
    Next time I need a good lens I will look into some old MF lenses. That should suit me well next time I am shooting supercross.
    Maybe, if you get predictive enough. I am pretty sure that people use cameras for a few more things than racing. Maybe they use it for landscapes, portraiture, things like that too!
    If its not in focus, it is junk.
    Again, I reiterate, the Olympus has faster Single-shot AF than nikon. Why can't you even recognize this? In fact, its the fastest AF ive ever seen on a variable aperture kit lens. Have you even tried it? Its incredible, and, its better and faster than Nikon 1's single shot.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 12-31-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Again, I reiterate, the Olympus has faster Single-shot AF than nikon. Why can't you even recognize this? In fact, its the fastest AF ive ever seen on a variable aperture kit lens. Have you even tried it? Its incredible, and, its better and faster than Nikon 1's single shot.
    Which Olympus model are you talking about. Just curious.
    -Bruce

The E-PM1, E-P3, and the E-PL3. They all use Olympus newest CDAF technology, the first CDAF tech that made AF competitive with Phase detect AF technology on Single-AF; even beating it with variable aperture lens. I haven't done the side-by-side comparison to the 5N or GF3 though, but from my experience with them I suspect they should be faster single-af than the Nikon 1 also. I may do the side by side with them too sooner or later.
    - Charlie

Ah, OK, thanks Charlie.
    I originally got off to a rocky start with Olympus when I bought my E-10 back in the day. Good camera for what it was, but slow as a snail, and the Olympus support was almost non existent. Been a bit gun shy ever since.
    -Bruce

Single AF is for stationary objects.

Bruce - That E-10 is 11 years old! lol, yes a good camera for the time, but the tech is much better now. Everything in 2001 was slow, that was at the infancy of bridge cameras, the tech has come a long way since.

Zero - No, single AF is for a single shot of any of various subjects. There is a reason it is the default mode on every camera, because it is certainly the most broadly useful AF mode for the broadest variety of technique.
    - Charlie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Me
    the E-P3 has a fairly old 12Mpix sensor. That's one thing that stopped me from voting for it - there is a better 16Mpix sensor available used in the latest LUMIX 4/3 cameras. Olympus improved everything in the Pen series except the sensor which is rather a pity
    Quote:
    Reply by Anbesol
    Thats the one thing?! Its still a better sensor than the one you voted for. And the processing on the 12 mpix is different this time around, its 12-bit raw and it can shoot up to 12800. It used to be 3200, and 8 bit raw.

Reply by Me
    The only-just-reviewed LUMIX GX-1 has the latest 16Mpix sensor AND (relatively) fast autofocus AND a tiny "Power Zoom" lens which is hardly any bigger than a pancake lens when stored. Now that's an interesting combination of new features that makes the E-P3 seem like a worthy but tame contender for 2011 Camera of the Year.

If the E-P3 wins I shan't complain but I won't get one. I shall certainly take a close look at the GX-1 however

Afterthought: I notice that Sony just brought out some prime lenses for the NEX series, including a 30mm Macro and a 50mm. The test results are excellent. Just what you need to get the most out of the sensor of the NEX-7.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Franglais you have got to be kidding me. Your statements are wildly hypocritical, you justify not voting for the E-P3 by holding it to higher standards than the Nikon, which you did vote for. Their "power zoom" means it has an electronic rocker switch, is that what you'd prefer?
    If the E-P3 wins I shan't complain but I won't get one. I shall certainly take a close look at the GX-1 however
    Yeah, because you didn't just barely become interested in the GX-1 as you scramble to rationalize your disapproval of the E-P3. Geez man, be real, this is pathetic.

So, lets get this straight. You aren't interested in the 12 mpix sensor, because its not a good enough sensor and its too few megapixels. So instead, you would prefer the Nikon 1, with its 2 less megapixels and smaller, inferior sensor. However, now that you read abotu the GX1, you become interested in it for its 16 mpix sensor. Hmm. I think I know whats going on, you are mixing up your explanations and remaining hypocritical.
    Now that's an interesting combination of new features that makes the E-P3 seem like a worthy but tame contender for 2011 Camera of the Year.
    You know, funny thing, if you look at any of the CSC cameras, they ALL make the Nikon look like a crappy contender. Thats a pretty simple and obvious fact, even using the rationalizations you did to make this statement. Your Nikon bias is written all over your self-contradicting words, man.

I saw someone at teh store the other day, they came in and asked the salesmen "I'm looking for a camera", "What kind" the guy asked. "A Nikon", she said.... "Oh, what kind" he asked, clearly trying to emphasize that "kind" is a different word than brand. "I dont know, I havent done that much research yet, show me the Nikons." Seriously, dumbass woman. She didn't even know whether she wanted a compact or a superzoom or a DSLR. But, because her friend who "knows what hes doing" said "Nikons the best!", you know, and all the other 1400 false-minded rationalizations brand cronies are so full of hubris, and false, inaccurate thinking based on pretentious ignorance.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 01-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Bruce - That E-10 is 11 years old! lol, yes a good camera for the time, but the tech is much better now. Everything in 2001 was slow, that was at the infancy of bridge cameras, the tech has come a long way since.
    YUP! It was old technology that was cutting edge back then.(I use to shoot live bands on stage for Las Vegas Talent) I had the Lipo Battery Grip attached and got plenty of attention. One lady drug her friend over while pointing at my camera and saying; See that? THAT'S a PROFESSIONAL camera. My partner enjoyed the attention more than I did.
    My problem with Olympus (at that time) was lack of support for their systems.
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I believe it's a Nikon design - nobody else has the exact same size. The sensors in the D3S and D700 are also Nikon designs. Some of the other sensors have been Sony designs modified by Nikon (D70, D200 and almost certainly the D3X seeing the huge difference with the A900)

Nikon don't actually manufacture the sensors (they do make the optical stepping machines that are used in the process). It's probably Sony who make the sensors but Nikon have never said.

And for Greg's post about the DXO marks: the E-P3 has a fairly old 12Mpix sensor. That's one thing that stopped me from voting for it - there is a better 16Mpix sensor available used in the latest LUMIX 4/3 cameras. Olympus improved everything in the Pen series except the sensor which is rather a pity
    The D7000 sensor was a "Nikon Design" when it came out. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information