ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 2011 Camera Of The Year Nominations

lol well John, any verdict? Looks like Sony may steal the show yet again, looks like the only other candidate nominated was the Olympus E-P3.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

The NEX system is a game-changer. So is the Nikon 1, though for different reasons.

NEX-7 is my camera of the 2000s.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

This has been a great discussion but it's time to put up an actual poll. What do you guys think of this list> In no particular order:

Sony Alpha SLT-A77
    Sony NEX-7
    Olympus E-P3
    Nikon J1 and V1 (I'm inclinced to list these as one option)
    Fujifilm X100
    Olympus ZX-1

The Canon EOS-1D X doesn't qualify because it won't actually be available until March. I was on the fence about the Sony NEX-7 for the same reason but I've been told pre-order cameras are actually shipping.

So did I leave anything out? Keep in mind that this is just a list for the poll. If you hate something on here don't worry about it. You don't have to vote for it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

lol, diplomacy...

Tough call... I can't really quantify one over another, as they all have such great merit and innovation (except for one unnamed 1 system ;) ). The X100's steep price sort of mitigates its otherwise excellent quality and innovation. Is price a factor in the decision?

Last year I think the choice was a lot easier. I'm stumped, I can't pick one yet. I'll have to get back to you on this one.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    lol, diplomacy...

Tough call... I can't really quantify one over another, as they all have such great merit and innovation (except for one unnamed 1 system ;) ). The X100's steep price sort of mitigates its otherwise excellent quality and innovation. Is price a factor in the decision?

Last year I think the choice was a lot easier. I'm stumped, I can't pick one yet. I'll have to get back to you on this one.
    You don't have to vote yet. I'll put up an actual poll. Right now I just want to make sure we've got a good list. This is your chance to let me know if I've really missed anything. I don't think price is really a huge factor, although it always counts. As far as the X100 goes, I wasn't at all interested in it until I had a chance to play with it and see the technology in action. After I actually had it in my hands all the hype made a lot more sense.
    Photo-John

Did it make $1200 sense?

I suppose if Leica is setting the bar, they are giving that Fuji away.
    - Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    This has been a great discussion but it's time to put up an actual poll. What do you guys think of this list> In no particular order:

Sony Alpha SLT-A77
    Sony NEX-7
    Olympus E-P3
    Nikon J1 and V1 (I'm inclinced to list these as one option)
    Fujifilm X100
    Olympus ZX-1

The Canon EOS-1D X doesn't qualify because it won't actually be available until March. I was on the fence about the Sony NEX-7 for the same reason but I've been told pre-order cameras are actually shipping.

So did I leave anything out? Keep in mind that this is just a list for the poll. If you hate something on here don't worry about it. You don't have to vote for it.
    I'm not going to vote for the NEX-7 any more. It's still not in the shops (not Sony's fault) and there do seem to be some issues with it (viewfinder, diffraction..)

You don't have the Fuji X10. That's only just been released and is not really in the shops yet. I liked it on paper but when I tried it, no information in the viewfinder whatsoever, that put me off.

The Olympus E-P3 is a worthy choice, refining the original design (focussing) but it's rather unexciting as camera of the year.

By all means combine the Nikon J1/V1. Nikon's first new interchangeable lens mount in what - 50 years?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I would pull the Sony NEX-7 - they just don't exist yet. They are going for over $3000 on ebay. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    I would pull the Sony NEX-7 - they just don't exist yet. They are going for over $3000 on ebay. - Terry
    I know for sure that people who pre-ordered have started to receive them. So they are available. For that reason I think I want to include it. If they really weren't shipping at all I'd leave it out.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Did it make $1200 sense?

I suppose if Leica is setting the bar, they are giving that Fuji away.
    Well, regardless of what you or I might think, a lot of people seem to think it does. With the fixed lens, it's definitely not for me. But if it had interchangeable lenses I think it would be worth $1200 to me.
    Photo-John

I know for sure that people who pre-ordered have started to receive them. So they are available. For that reason I think I want to include it. If they really weren't shipping at all I'd leave it out.
    I got word today mine shipped a couple of days ago. I'll give it a quick look see and see if I change my mind. I know it has the same sensor as the a77 but the DXO marks scores it higher I guess because it doesn't have a translucent mirror.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Also you can't use third party lenses on the NEX7 due to bad color shifts. I'll check that out too. I'll throw my Summicron on it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Also you can't use third party lenses on the NEX7 due to bad color shifts.
    Where have you seen this? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    The NEX system is a game-changer.
    I'm going with one of the Sony NEX cameras as well.
    SHH, Don't tell anyone. I just bought a NEX-5.
    -Bruce

Time To Vote!

The poll is posted - it's time to vote! The purpose of this thread was to discuss and determine what cameras should be on the poll. But if you think we've really missed a camera that should be included, please let me know.

2011 Camera Of The Year Quick Poll >>

Thanks for voting! Feel free to share this poll, too. The more voters the more valid the results will be.
    Photo-John

Re: Time To Vote!

The poll is posted - it's time to vote! The purpose of this thread was to discuss and determine what cameras should be on the poll. But if you think we've really missed a camera that should be included, please let me know.

2011 Camera Of The Year Quick Poll >>

Thanks for voting! Feel free to share this poll, too. The more voters the more valid the results will be.
    I'm not going to vote. The NEX-7 may or may not exist, however it's still an entirely different body than the NEX 3/5. To me these camera's made more of a splash.
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Ballen Photo View Post
    I'm not going to vote. The NEX-7 may or may not exist, however it's still an entirely different body than the NEX 3/5. To me these camera's made more of a splash.
    -Bruce
    Is this a protest? Because I don't think that's necessary. The NEX-5 and 3 came out last year so they don't qualify for 2011. And there are other cameras on the list. This isn't really about your favorite camera or what you necessarily like - it's about the camera that is most important this year. Although, to be fair, making a splash is a fair measure of important. Anyway, you don't have to vote for the NEX-7 if you don't think it's the one. But please do vote. And if you think there's a camera that should be on the list and isn't, make a good argument for it and maybe we'll add it
    Photo-John

Is this a protest? Because I don't think that's necessary. The NEX-5 and 3 came out last year so they don't qualify for 2011. And there are other cameras on the list. This isn't really about your favorite camera or what you necessarily like - it's about the camera that is most important this year. Although, to be fair, making a splash is a fair measure of important. Anyway, you don't have to vote for the NEX-7 if you don't think it's the one. But please do vote. And if you think there's a camera that should be on the list and isn't, make a good argument for it and maybe we'll add it
    You mean they sold me an older camera? :cryin:
    Seriously though, you mean none of the newer NEX-5K, NEX-5N, NEX-C3, etc. came out in 2011?
    OK then, I'll have to go back and look.
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Ballen Photo View Post
    You mean they sold me an older camera? :cryin:
    Seriously though, you mean none of the newer NEX-5K, NEX-5N, NEX-C3, etc. came out in 2011?
    OK then, I'll have to go back and look.
    -Bruce
    The NEX-5N and the NEX-C3 came out this year but they're really just an incremental change. I think you need to do more than that for Camera Of The Year. But if a bunch of people think the NEX-5N should be on the list, I'll add it. You know I had one for review (working on that) and as much as I liked the camera and would love to own one, I didn't think it was camera of the year material.
    Photo-John

I have had only limited experience with this camera but I have to pick the Nikon 1 system. Not really because it is the "best" of 2011. It is because this shows some of what Nikon has up its sleeve for 2012. The AF performance alone is insane. Imagine the possibilities of this with an upgraded D3s sensor in a badass pro body? We will have to wait to see! This thing already could beat the top dog sports DSLR at its own game for $600.

Won't have a D3S sensor, the flange and mount style has affixed them to their current, exact, never gonna be bigger sensor size. The sensor size has been indefinitely determined for the Nikon 1 system, we will not be waiting or seeing. No, this thing certainly could not beat the top dog sports DSLR at its own game, and for $600 they'd have to find it on sale for $50 off and only have a 81mm f/5.6 telephoto equivalence for reach. On the plus side, its short hyperfocal distance may make it more accessible to people who get baffled and confused by focus control and depth of field.

Unfortunately the reality is that Nikon doesn't intend to compete for image quality, they are catering to a different market, the J1 is a point and shoot upgrade, not a DSLR alternative.

*edit - oh well, I understand Nikons your brand. It could have been a Nikon bag of poo in the poll and you'd vote for it (and it's not far off from that). Just don't get your hopes up and think that Nikon will ever release anything as cool as say, an E-P3, or a Sony NEX 7. The V1 is as pro-level as Nikon intends to get.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 12-30-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    - Charlie

Anbesol, you have totally misunderstood my statement. I am very excited about the trickle UP factor of this system to the pro level bodies. Not the possibility of jamming a FX sensor in a $600 camera that could fit in your pocket. IF the AF is sooooo good in this little $600 consumer unit what will this mean for the real deal pro cameras. This could mean even better AF with more or no real focal points. Real AF with video, More FPS for video, just MORE good stuff. And if the noise level is so good in this tiny sensor, what will that mean for the new DX and FX sensors?

I am all about AF performance. Where I am most concerned with it is low light. I shoot MMA, grappling and motorcycle racing (not all motorcycle racing is in daylight either) I shoot with a D3s as my main body and a 300s as my grab/ back up camera. I have every piece of relevant pro level glass nikon has to offer in the ranges I need. Except the 14-24 which someday I will have in my clutches! So I am speaking with some experience here.

The Nikon 1 system gets me excited to use for backcountry skiing, backpacking, mountain biking, dirt biking. Jam this thing in a pack and take it everywhere. No excuses not to take it. It is also cheap. All of these little micro interchangeable lens cameras are cheap as ****. Under $1000 for a complete system with all of that performance? You can't beat that. Not at all. Yes for a consumer camera $600 might be HUGE. But the reality is, you can't even buy a zoom lens for $600 for a DSLR. Not even a good used one.

Yes there are limitations with IQ and DOF. Not just the Nikon 1, but all of these little guys. IQ is not everything with these things. Size is. If I need to get the best shots possible, I will drag the big gun out. Yes, it will kick the **** out of the Nikon1 and every other camera on the market for sports photography. What comes in the future is another debate. The Canon offering looks awesome. It looks to be the new sports king. But the D4 has not been announced. If it has some of the features this little pocket rocket has, it could be the best again.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog View Post
    I am very excited about the trickle UP factor of this system to the pro level bodies....
    same here, that's why I say the nikon 1 is a very nice proof of technology

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    that's why I say the nikon 1 is a very nice proof of technology
    I like the way you put that, Armando
    Photo-John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information