ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 2011 Camera Of The Year Nominations

Pretty mediocre year. But 2012 might be better:

Nikon J1 = brilliant technology packaged for consumers. The V1 = way too expensive for consumers, they should have done an Experts camera instead. Let's hope there's something better in 2012

Canon 1dx = availability 2012. s100 = Small improvement on S95

Fuji x100 = nice but marginal. x10 = not actually seen one yet
    (Edit for the X10: Seen it, handled it. It's nice but you have no indication in the optical viewfinder of what you're focussing on, and finally it's rather large for such a small sensor)

Olympus ep3, epl2, xz1 = getting warmer. A possibility.

I think it has to go to Sony who have been trying to produce a usable camera with an electronic viewfinder (I don't like it but many people do). My vote would go to the NEX-7 which seems to fill the space left by the Leica M series
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Liz

I have National Geographic on my Side for the E-P3.

NG voted the E-P3 the compact camera "Gear of the Year" for 2011!

This is their "Gear of the Year" page - scroll down just a bit for the camera section ......

http://adventure.nationalgeographic....21_600x450.jpg

I think the NG vote should count for something! :thumbsup:

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I think it has to go to Sony who have been trying to produce a usable camera with an electronic viewfinder (I don't like it but many people do). My vote would go to the NEX-7 which seems to fill the space left by the Leica M series
    I thought the same until I started using the a77. The VF-1 had been the only other I had tried. I didn't like it. Not so much for the quality if the image. I didn't like how it stuck up on top of the camera and I have always felt if you buy a camera the finder should be included..lol
    The Sony a77 made me a believer. If you are in anything but real dim light it looks like I am looking thru an OFV. Plus it's what you see is what you get.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The nikon 1 system is great proof of technology would love to see it used on cameras with a larger sensor and more important compatible with the large collection of nikon lenses, and not through an adapter

ok ?
    nikon 7100 , 8000
    d400
    d800
    d4

whatever , ok nikon !??!?!?!?!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    The nikon 1 system is great proof of technology would love to see it used on cameras with a larger sensor and more important compatible with the large collection of nikon lenses, and not through an adapter
    Someone said, " if you want to look cool get a Nikon if you want to take pictures get a EP-3" I agree that the Nikon needs some more lenses. John your review was great I would guess like any other system the Second Nikon in this series will be the one to get. I would love to see it in action. For the price I think image quality should be there. But still great technology behind it.
    All of this new tennology is making my E5 look like an old grandpa at a very young age.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I could live with the smallish sensor. I would like to see the 1 system technology leveraged with DSLR standards that we know how to use:

- same control layout as on the higher-level DSLR's, including a way to select the focus zone easily
    - PSAM modes. I can't believe they left that out on the V1, there is a huge gap in the dial on the back
    - a real flash shoe and support for the CLS flash system

They can drop the funny stuff like take-20-shots-and-pick-the-best or face detection (tried it on my S95 and it's unpredictable).

I handled a V1 this afternoon in the shopping mall and told the Nikon person what I thought (she kept her cool - pointed out the little slot for the dedicated flash gun). I pointed out that when you see the displays there are four J1's at the front with a single V1 hidden at the back (I notice the price of the V1 has dropped under 800 Euros today).
    Charles

If dslr and CSC cameras are the scale, the j1/v1 would certainly be ranked at the very bottom. Being better ONLY at continuous AF, and being much worse at everything else does not deserve any accolades.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Well the foucusing on the NEX5n can be quirky and the battery life is worse than a good smartphone. If the focus on the NEX7 is anything like the a77 I will be over joyed.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    If dslr and CSC cameras are the scale, the j1/v1 would certainly be ranked at the very bottom. Being better ONLY at continuous AF, and being much worse at everything else does not deserve any accolades.
    It all depends on what your needs are. Focussing? Of course. Video? Important to many. Small size including lenses? Well that's the whole point of these CSC hybrids. Image quality? It's important but if you want the ultimate in image quality you're not going to buy one of these cameras. The one thing I don't like about the NEX-7 - apart from the viewfinder - is the 24Mpix sensor. Overkill..

Here is an opinion from someone who has actually used the J1 quite a bit and who we know and trust:

Nikon 1 System J1 Pros
    - Very small & light cameras and lenses
    - Great image stabilization
    - Revolutionary auto focus performance
    - Great movie mode continuous auto focus
    - Up to 30 frames-per-second full-resolution burst rate (with auto focus locked)

Nikon 1 System J1 Cons
    - Controls and UI are awkward
    - Image quality not competitive with other compact system cameras
    - Small camera body is slippery and a bit hard to hold
    - Hard to pan smoothly without an eyelevel finder (J1)
    - Lens options are skimpy at the moment

(See Photo-John's review..)
    Charles

Actually, the 24mpix sensor may sound like overkill, but it does a pretty outstanding job. Its high ISO isn't the very best, but it certainly has the most resolving power of any APS sensor out there, and by a lot I might add. Also, even at 3200 it does a pretty good job. What possible good could be said about Nikons 10mpix sensor, that it can be used for a tacked on gimmick feature of 30fps locked AF use? Perhaps one or two people on the planet might find a good purpose for that, why don't you tell me a situation that may benefit with this. Or maybe its 10 FPS standard shooting ability, an ability that has been had with Sony for over a year now in the same price range.

I've used the J1 as well, I think your implying I hadn't used it, correct? Moreover, one doesn't really need to use it to know that it doesn't deserve a camera of the year accolade, or to recognize that such a nomination for that camera is absurd. I don't think you should "trust" me because you "know" me, but rather because what I am saying about that camera is true on its own merit. I don't think I need to invoke any status/credibility clauses here do I?

FYI the size of the camera lens/combo of the Nikon J1 is no smaller than the GF3 or the E-PM1, in fact, the E-PM1's kit lens is superior, smaller, and produces a larger image circle.
    It's important but if you want the ultimate in image quality you're not going to buy one of these cameras
    The NEX 5N uses the same 16 mpix sensor as is in the D7000, and the NEX 7 uses the best APS sensor on the planet. The only way you get better is full frame, but then you could say the same "if you want the ultimate in image quality, you'll go with medium format!"
    - Charlie

I trust you. You put the J1/V1 at the bottom of the scale judging by your needs but other people have other needs. Photo-John seems quite enthusiastic about the J1/V1. But I'm certainly not suggesting it's the Camera of the Year.
    Charles

I'm new to this site, but figured I'd put in my two cents worth. I vote for the Sony 77. I have an alpha55, bought it before the 65 and 77 were available. The thing I like most - and that I rarely see mentioned in reviews - is WYSIWYG. The viewfinder shows you the picture you are taking, not the scene you are looking at. I think this is especially important for beginners/intermediate photographers. Best recent example was a Club photoshoot of sun rising behind a lighthouse on Lake Michigan. Conventional DSLR users were talking back and forth about exposure settings to best capture colors in the sky. I just dialed exposure compensation till I liked what I saw in the viewfinder - then shot. Yes - you can review shot after you take it and compensate, but dial it in is better than trial and error - and when the subject is moving (even the sun), you don't have the time.

True that, that was much of the reasons Photo-John picked the A55 last year as camera of the year.

CSC cameras, like hte NEX and Olympus E-P3 also have the WYSIWYG exposure feedback that hte SLT does as well.
    - Charlie

Charles - both cameras have PASM modes. They're just hidden in the menu system. I don't know why they did that but they are there. I mostly used the J1 in shutter priority. The V1 is also compatible with Nikon's CLS off-camera flash control system. I double-checked that when I was finishing my review.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Charles - both cameras have PASM modes. They're just hidden in the menu system. I don't know why they did that but they are there. I mostly used the J1 in shutter priority. The V1 is also compatible with Nikon's CLS off-camera flash control system. I double-checked that when I was finishing my review.
    John if you still have it could you make a video showing the AF at work?

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    John if you still have it could you make a video showing the AF at work?
    Did you see the intro video I made. It includes sample clips shot using the continuous auto focus.

Fow what it's worth, I shot with the NEX-5N in continuous auto focus this weekend and the performance wasn't even close to the Nikon J1. In fact, for skiing, it was unusable. Looking forward to trying the SLT adapter, though. I have high hopes for that!
    Photo-John

Aha. That gives me something to check out while I'm in England at Christmas. Thanks for the info.
    Charles

Did you see the intro video I made. It includes sample clips shot using the continuous auto focus.

Fow what it's worth, I shot with the NEX-5N in continuous auto focus this weekend and the performance wasn't even close to the Nikon J1. In fact, for skiing, it was unusable. Looking forward to trying the SLT adapter, though. I have high hopes for that!
    No I didn't see the video can you shoot me a link and no the 5n isn't going to set the woods on fire with its AF performance.

Sony a99/a7R

Interesting debate

How about if nikon licensed the AF technology from the 1 system to the Sony Nex models , just like they use the sony sensor , maybe is not doable because it requires the small nikon sensor ...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    No I didn't see the video can you shoot me a link and no the 5n isn't going to set the woods on fire with its AF performance.
    But the 5N's image quality is ridiculous!

There's a link for the Nikon J1 review in the article promo list on the right. But here's a direct link to the review. The video is on the second page: http://reviews.photographyreview.com...stem-j1-review
    Photo-John

Interesting debate

How about if nikon licensed the AF technology from the 1 system to the Sony Nex models , just like they use the sony sensor , maybe is not doable because it requires the small nikon sensor ...
    That's an interesting idea. I don't see it happening, though. Nikon buys tech from other companies but I don't think they ever license their own stuff. My guess is we'll be seeing the Nikon 1 AF showing up in the next generation of Nikon digital SLRs - probably as soon as January. I don't see any reason they can't apply what they've done with the J1 and V1 to digital SLRs.
    Photo-John

But the 5N's image quality is ridiculous!

There's a link for the Nikon J1 review in the article promo list on the right. But here's a direct link to the review. The video is on the second page: Nikon 1 System J1 Review | Camera News & Reviews
    Now I know why I missed the video. There was no play arrow on the title page. Lol

Sony a99/a7R

I've read the V1 manual. I'm getting less negative about it. I've found a few interesting things typical of Nikon design:

- you can set just about all the same options as on a Nikon DSLR, and turn off all the stuff you don't need
    - the knurled-wheel control dial to give you control of things like shutter speed or aperture is replaced by an up-down toggle which works the same way. Lost without it
    - the optional flash for the V1 has a head that turns in all directions so it can do bounce flash just like a cobra. I use flash a lot. It's not very powerful but at least it's small

Remains the problem that V1 + 2 lenses + flash + spare battery = about the same as a D7000. I like small cameras but not at any price.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I've read the V1 manual. I'm getting less negative about it. I've found a few interesting things typical of Nikon design:

- you can set just about all the same options as on a Nikon DSLR, and turn off all the stuff you don't need
    - the knurled-wheel control dial to give you control of things like shutter speed or aperture is replaced by an up-down toggle which works the same way. Lost without it
    - the optional flash for the V1 has a head that turns in all directions so it can do bounce flash just like a cobra. I use flash a lot. It's not very powerful but at least it's small

Remains the problem that V1 + 2 lenses + flash + spare battery = about the same as a D7000. I like small cameras but not at any price.
    I had trouble figuring out how to access the manual controls. But once I did figure them out, I had no more problems. The UI is different but it made sense once I found out how it worked.

The price is tough. If you need the auto focus then I think it makes a lot of sense. But if you just want a small camera and the AF isn't that important, then I think the other compact system cameras are still better - especially if lenses are part of the equation.
    Photo-John

Nikon 1s AF performance has an inherent boost due to its much shorter hyper-focal distance, which is more a product of the sensor size than the inherent performance of its AF. I think one of the reasons its so great with AF tracking is also because it has so little focus movement needed one way or another. Perhaps this is the reason they went with smaller sensor at all.
    - Charlie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information