ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2011 Camera Of The Year Nominations

It's time to take a look back at 2011 and pick out the best camera(s) of the year. I've got a few in mind, although I'm going to keep them to myself for the time being. What do you think was the best new camera introduced in 2011? And what made it a great camera?

I'm going to use this discussion to make a poll so we can have a member's choice for camera of the year.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: 2011 Camera Of The Year Nominations

If the Sony a77 dont win it I will eat my dirty socks. To me theres not even a contest. I have one and you just couldnt ask much more out of a camera system. Sony even kept the mount true so you can use older Minolta glass.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Oh what made it great? The EVF is top notch, the SLT makes the camera super quiet on no fear of mirror slap, Real good IQ, low noise at high ISO, Steady Shot, Twilight mode, Sturdy build, Easy to navigate menu, This camera was built with the pro in mind and stands behind what is says it will do.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

John you might consider two classes of cameras. One for DSLRs and one for Pens/mirrorless. To me the only camera that even comes close to the Sony would be the EP-3.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    If the Sony a77 dont win it I will eat my dirty socks.
    Don't tempt me to sabotage the vote
    Photo-John

John you might consider two classes of cameras. One for DSLRs and one for Pens/mirrorless. To me the only camera that even comes close to the Sony would be the EP-3.
    We'll just do one poll. It's too messy doing it any other way. But I may do two - or even three classes. There can only be one overall camera of the year, though

What about the NEX-7? It's got the same sensor and the EVF as the A77. And I agree - that EVF is incredible. The first time I looked through it I had to be reminded it was an EVF.
    Photo-John

should we have a vote for worst camera as well
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    should we have a vote for worst camera as well
    Probably not - mostly just because more polls make the whole process harder to manage. But feel free to share your thoughts. Is there a particular camera you have in mind?
    Photo-John

Well it doesnt look like the Nex7 will hit the market until next year and with no in hand use I dont think we can really count it. But to me it would be a close second. I really think without going full frame your just not going beat the a77.

Sony a99/a7R

Also I was at a Christmas singing last night and was shooting in very low light. I was very impressed at the ability of the A77 to AF is such low light with a slow lens, Tamron 18-270...
    Even when I am out shooting landscapes I rarely AF but the a77 will focus and not hunt in low light.

Sony a99/a7R

This was shot all the way across a gym, Very low light,1/25, 6.3, AF, 6400iso, steady shot on. The colors are close to what I was seeing in real life so the WB was fine.

Sony a99/a7R

Well it doesnt look like the Nex7 will hit the market until next year and with no in hand use I dont think we can really count it. But to me it would be a close second. I really think without going full frame your just not going beat the a77.
    Yeah, it's not really clear to me whether it's officially available but out of stock everywhere or it hasn't officially hit the market yet. There are a few floating around for review but Sony didn't want to give me one yet since there is a shortage. For that reason, I think it might not make it in this year.
    Photo-John

I vote Nikon D7000 I want one bad...

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

I thought the D7000 came out in late 2010?

Sony a99/a7R

sony seem to have been very productive in 2011
    nex7
    Sony nexc3
    nex5n
    slt 77
    slt 65
    slt 35

fuji x100
    x10

Olympus
    ep3
    epl2
    xz1

Nikon
    V1
    J1
    P7100
    D5100

Canon
    1dx ???
    s100

Pentax K5 has been getting a lot of good press. Compact, great high ISO and AF performance...

Hmm, my nominations would be the Sony A77, Olympus E-P3, or the Canon 1-Dx. I don't know that I could pick just one of those, the sony and oly brought some really awesome new technology, the 1-Dx isn't all that innovative, just the most feature cram packed camera ever.

Definitely the Nikon J1/V1 for biggest let-down disappointing camera of the year.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 12-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Liz

Since my only experience is with the Olympus EP-3 - and it's one of the best cameras I've ever owned - and numbered among my favorites of all times - I must do this!

I vote OLYMPUS EP-3. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Sony's look great from what I've seen here, but I still vote for the EP-3.

Liz

I want a full frame range finder digital camera with manual control and an EVF. If has not happened
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    I want a full frame range finder digital camera with manual control and an EVF. If has not happened
    That would probably put you out a chunk of change. With the IQ of the cropped sensors I think full frame is going to be a thing of the past. The x100 was a let down as well. The lens is prone to flares, complex menu and no changing lenses. I think there a lot of you out there just waiting for a less expensive camera to compete with the M9. DXO marks has the Nex 7 better than the M9. That's where I am heading. Just how much IQ do you need for the streets?

Sony a99/a7R

Well, the Nex-7's are starting to trickle out into the world now, so I'd consider it eligible... I'm torn between the Nex-7 and the A77 from Sony.... But I'll go with the Nex-7, even though that's one I haven't physically touched yet, the size and build (evf, control dials, etc) have me won over...

Reasons: High quality sensor and great feature set in a small package with a good selection of controls for changing the essentials without menu diving... Oh, and through the use of adapters you can use just about any of the best lenses in the world with this thing, which is good, as Sony hasn't exactly caught up in the lens area for their E-Mount cameras yet....

Now if I can just get my hands on one.....

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees View Post
    Well, the Nex-7's are starting to trickle out into the world now, so I'd consider it eligible... I'm torn between the Nex-7 and the A77 from Sony.... But I'll go with the Nex-7, even though that's one I haven't physically touched yet, the size and build (evf, control dials, etc) have me won over...

Reasons: High quality sensor and great feature set in a small package with a good selection of controls for changing the essentials without menu diving... Oh, and through the use of adapters you can use just about any of the best lenses in the world with this thing, which is good, as Sony hasn't exactly caught up in the lens area for their E-Mount cameras yet....

Now if I can just get my hands on one.....
    if you are used to DSLR performance then I'll say try the nex7 before deciding if you want that or the A77, autofocus is not speedy on the nex5n, and I'll be surprised if it is much better on the nex7

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    if you are used to DSLR performance then I'll say try the nex7 before deciding if you want that or the A77, autofocus is not speedy on the nex5n, and I'll be surprised if it is much better on the nex7
    But if you need the fast AF for some shots, attach the SLT adaptor and you have an A77 (or nearly - I would miss the stabilization the most). Not a cheap solution though. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    But if you need the fast AF for some shots, attach the SLT adaptor and you have an A77 (or nearly - I would miss the stabilization the most).
    That's exactly why I'm so pumped about the NEX-7 - the versatility of the system. You can have it all.
    Photo-John

Nikon 1

Only Aramando has mentioned the Nikon 1 system so far. I know it's not for everyone and there are some haters. But I just finished my full review and I think the technology is a really big deal. I'm waiting to see the hybrid auto focus system appear in a Nikon DSLR. That might be *next* year's camera of the year. But for now, I think the Nikon 1 cameras at least need to be in the running.

Nikon 1 System J1 Pro Review >>

Skeptics should read the whole review and watch the intro video. For me, the main point is in the sample video clips I included in the intro video. That's the proof in the pudding.
    Photo-John

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information