ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2009...here's what I'm doing this year

So here it is, my plan for 2009...

I've posted about this before, the planning of it and such, but here it is. This is what I'm doing for 2009.

I'm moving in this week (school is cancelled tomorrow, they are expecting coldest weather in years, so we'll see how much gets done) and start shooting there on Saturday. So it kinda has to get done.

the building is located in Milwaukee's historic Third Ward, which is kinda the arty/fashion district. I'm on the second floor (did NOT want storefront space at all). All the windows face north, and there is 4 sets of 2.

An acquaintence of mine said...."wow, that's so cool that your husband got that for you". Ummmm...no. I've busted my butt all year (and for the 5 previous years, building up the business) working towards this. For the past 5 years, photography has paid for itself, and then some. It also has grown to the point where it just doesn't fit in our house anymore. When I was prego with B (2000) dh bought me the film Rebel 2K for Mother's Day (which, incidently, was when I found pr.com).

I will add to this thread as I make progress...I'm hoping to get in tomorrow, weather permitting, and get some of the stuff set up. Was going to do that today, but I forget my screwdriver at home, so I spent the time sweeping and mopping. I'll be mopping again tomorrow, and probably the next day. The floor is so dusty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009...here's what I'm doing this year-img_2149.jpg   2009...here's what I'm doing this year-img_2150.jpg   2009...here's what I'm doing this year-img_2151.jpg   2009...here's what I'm doing this year-img_2152.jpg   2009...here's what I'm doing this year-img_2154.jpg  

I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: 2009...here's what I'm doing this year

ps...that's not green, it's yellow. Also, the floor is wood tiles (parquet?). That cabinet has a sink, and a spot for a mini fridge. thru the brick arch is where I'll put the computer/desk, that kind of thing.

I'm still going to do the bulk of my shooting on location, but this is another option. Especially in WI winters.

Congratulations!

Wow - that kicks ass, Adina. I'll take all the credit, ok?

That's a great space. Love the brick and the light is wonderful! Maybe you'll get into some studio portrait work with that light. I sure would.

Congratulations. I am always really pleased when I see people here take big creative and/or professional leaps. This certainly qualifies.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Wow!
    Even my poor amateur eyes can see potential.
    Nice couch, too!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

That place is beyond amazing. Congrats just doesn't seem like a strong enough word.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Wonderful place,an inspiration to all of us,your story !

(Did you notice there seems to be more women on the boards,these days ?)

Keep updating,wishing you every success !

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Adina, that looks like an awesome place to shoot! Well done and congrats!
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Liz

Congratulations Adina!

You certainly have worked hard to get where you are - this is absolutely awesome! What a beautiful spot - I can see all the potential just waiting like a present to be opened at Christmas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your first images - what your creativity will bring out of this place. :thumbsup:

Liz

WOW! Congratulations Adina.
    That space looks GORGEOUS and if it were mine I would be using that arch as a backdrop! YUM!
    Well done!!!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congratulations Adina! This place looks incredible. I can't wait to see what you do once you get some people in there to photograph!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Adina how cool. Wonderful space!! That is going to give you so many options to expand your photography. My one big warning is don't let the pressure of earning a living with the camera take the fun out of taking pictures. Always continue to do some images just for you. I have know some photographers that lost their love for photography once they began to see it primarily as a way to pay bills.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Congrateulations and good luck on this big step. :thumbsup: Just heed the advice of Old Timer and don't let your photography turn into just work. Remember to take some time out for yourself to enjoy and have fun with it also, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Awesome. Congrats and good luck. I wouldn't have thought for a minute that you didn't achieve this on your own merits

Kentucky Wildlife

Even if you become wealthy and famous some day, you will look back on this place as possibly the best time of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Awesome. Congrats and good luck. I wouldn't have thought for a minute that you didn't achieve this on your own merits

Thanks.

I think a while back you posted on your blog about every woman having "a room of her own". God, that stuck in my head.

I get a lot of the "oh your husband must have..." I think it's because I'm younger (comparatively speaking) and have a lot of shoes. But he's the first to say that he this is all on me (good and bad).

Re: Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Wow - that kicks ass, Adina. I'll take all the credit, ok?

That's a great space. Love the brick and the light is wonderful! Maybe you'll get into some studio portrait work with that light. I sure would.

Congratulations. I am always really pleased when I see people here take big creative and/or professional leaps. This certainly qualifies.
    Thanks PJ

I've been doing some studio work this past year...which was part of the push to get out of the house. Dh hated that 4x6 softbox in our living room. And this will open up my options...once I'm settled (and it warms up, -13 without the wind today) I'm going to see if I can get up on the roof.

In all seriousness, I do credit pr.com with the bulk of my photo knowledge. Not only is it packed with good info, but a great group of people, who even tell me when I suck. Can't get that everywhere. It's easy to find someone to say "hey that's great", harder to get someone who will say "hey, you might want to rethink that"

How's that for a glowing endorsement?

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Wow!
    Even my poor amateur eyes can see potential.
    Nice couch, too!
    Thanks!

That couch is the first piece of furniture I've ever bought on my own. I am going to buried on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    That place is beyond amazing. Congrats just doesn't seem like a strong enough word.
    Thank you! I was thrilled to find it, I've looked at two other spaces in this building in the past year. I have finally narrowed it down between two spaces in another building, a block over, and when I was walking over to get my girls peppermint steamers, we saw the notice up for this one. Called quick, stopped in an hour later with my girls, called him that evening with a decision. The windows pushed me over.

I love that high ceiling you got Adina, and the brick wall entrance I thinks you are going to do good this 2009 my friends and window light is awsome and good luck make sure post some update photo on your progress.

Okay, I don't know how to do a multi-quote thingy....

susaan...thank you so much! I will post more as I move further into this project.

Brad...thank you! I am so looking forward to shooting there. I actually have 3 sessions there Saturday, before I head out of town for the weekend. I will share some of the results.

Liz...so way better than Christmas. It's weird, since I've been planning for so long, it's more of a "moving up to the next step" which is so thrilling to me. Reaching the next goal...I guess.

Alison...will definitely be using that brick. Was one of the selling points. Add to that, there are like 4 coffee shops within a two block radius. Heaven.

Mike, if you are ever over this way, let me know. I should be moved in by the end of this week (more or less). I've got people coming in the rest of January...will share some of those.

OT...that was dh's concern as well, that I wouldn't enjoy it as much. But I'm finding not only do I enjoy the photography end, but the business end as well...it's like a big puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kruger
    Even if you become wealthy and famous some day, you will look back on this place as possibly the best time of your life.
    You know what? I know this is going to be. The further I get into this project, the more I love it.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for the invite Adina. We don't get over that way much, but if/when we do, I'll be sure to let you know.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Good luck adina!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Congrats and good luck! It is a very cute place. I am looking forward to seeing your updates.
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

so with school cancelled today, I made my girls come with and clean. mopped and scrubbed for about 3 hours. assembled a desk and coat rack. I am going to have to paint that yellow...red, I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information