ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liz

Re: 2008 Camera Of The Year?

Maybe I just drank the koolaide, but I feel like for a compact camera, the Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3 is the camera to have in the prosumer compact area.
    I agree! I have the LX3 and it's a great camera with many features. I especially like the fast 2.0 lens - wide angle - dynamic b&w feature (the images straight out of camera are better than any I've seen coming from a digital camera including dslr). The IA mode actually chooses correct settings 99% of the time. It's a great camera IMO.

I voted for it. BTW all my other cameras except for one Panasonic years ago have been Canon. My main camera is the XTi which I love, but due to back/neck problems I use a p&s quite a bit, especially when I'm going to carry it around for hours.

I also have the G9, but use it much less than the LX3 today.

Liz

Thanks for stopping by and weighing in, Rich. I agree with you about the LX3 beating the G10. I was really pleased by Panasonic's decision to use a bigger sensor and keep the resolution the same. That's a bold decision considering the camera companies' efforts to sell us on more resolution always being better. But whether the LX3 is a game-changer or not for cameras in general - that's the question. It sort of is. But compared to the video-capable DSLRs and the new Micro Four Thirds format, I don't think it is a top-level competitor. Important - definitely. But a winner - not this time.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Well if you want to use the phrase "game changer," I would have to agree with the micro four-thirds being such a format (which I suppose gives the G1 that edge) and agree with dpreviews comments on the reasons.

The best images are obtained with good interchangeable optics and low pixel density CCDs. The SLR format was adopted simply because it was a well grounded system that most people use and are familiar with.

But in a digital world, there really isn't a need for a flip-up mirror. It was the solution for WYSIWYG for film. But with an electronic sensor, you can achieve that without it--even with a viewfinder.

This not only allows for a more compact format, but also opens up the possibly for faster-wide angle and less complex optics because you can put the optics closer to the sensor.

In addition, since the four-thirds system is a standard, this allows more companies to adopt the standard and more interchangeablilty between components.

So looking at it as a game changer, I would argue not just for the G1, but for micro four-thirds in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Thanks for stopping by and weighing in, Rich. I agree with you about the LX3 beating the G10. I was really pleased by Panasonic's decision to use a bigger sensor and keep the resolution the same. That's a bold decision considering the camera companies' efforts to sell us on more resolution always being better. But whether the LX3 is a game-changer or not for cameras in general - that's the question. It sort of is. But compared to the video-capable DSLRs and the new Micro Four Thirds format, I don't think it is a top-level competitor. Important - definitely. But a winner - not this time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information