ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

The 2 Faces of Eve: Good & Evil (implied nudity)

I shot with my favorite model today, and I wanted us to try and tell a story - actually I was trying to get more emotion from her expressions. This is what we came up with - a series of "Eve" pictures telling the story of good Eve and bad Eve. I hope you like them - CC always welcome.

Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Re: The 2 Faces of Eve: Good & Evil (implied nudity)

Great Pics, Let me start by saying i love your website and think you do great work.

My only problem, that probably has nothing to do with your photography, her makeup. Very drastic differences between her face and her body. I hate makeup anyway so it may seem more prevalent to me. If she is going to be that made up in the face and your shooting the whole body I would continue the powdering on the whole body.

I love the colors of the flowers, dress, apple and dark back ground. If you were closer I would love to be your apprentice.
    Napoleon complex!! Who Me?

Driven Photography

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Great work, Andy. This is kinda the stuff I want to learn how to do, but I don't have a willing model.

BTW, I got some hockey pics over in the sports forum, if you want to check them out.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thanks, LC - I appreciate the comments, and you're right. Next time I shoot with Carrie I don't think I'll let her do her own makeup. It's hard to see this kind of difference with the naked eye, but it definitely shows up in the photos.
    Andy Armstrong

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Really nice & creative! The model looks comfortable too!

I like the differences, they work well together!

I browsed through your website, its great! It looks like the calendar is SO AWESOME! I would actually like to do more model and fashion shoots.

I'm just curious....What kind of lights do you use outdoors, esp. with the calendar (boat) shots?

You do really nice work - esp. with your models!
    Kathy

Thanks, Kathy!

What kind of lights do I use outdoors? - I use natural light with gobos and reflectors. Only once during the calendar shoot did I need a little extra kick outdoors and then I brought along the photofloods that I use in the studio!
    Andy Armstrong

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Andy, I must say that I do not feel comfortable critiquing your works as you are one of my favorite photographers. I love the works you do and these are great. I can see what the others have said about the makeup and having spent some time in theater, understand how hard it is to get things just right. My basic comment is that it needs to be natural over the entire exposed areas of, not only the face, but the body as well. Some of the shots the makeup really stands out, as you have already made mention of.
    My other comment has to do with the last series of pics. I'm not real moved by the poses. The black and white one looks like she is "sticking her belly out" or maybe she's pregnant...not real flattering, IMHO. The arched back on her in the rest of this series of shots also looks like she has a much larger tummy than she actually has. I don't know...maybe it's just me. Regardless...you, as usual, have done a fantastic job!!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken - I always appreciate comments and criticism. It's how we learn. Please, never hold back what's on your mind.

The fact of the matter is - my favorite model is a little chicken-chested. her sternum is quite concave and her breasts seem close together when juxtaposed against her wide shoulders. This gives the appearance that her belly is larger. I would have done much better to find a similar (yet still sinister) top that could let her hide these features the way she did in the "good" set.

Thanks, again.
    Andy Armstrong

Thread Information