1st shots with 5D

Printable View

• 03-16-2006, 09:33 PM
    Cowgirl
    1 Attachment(s)
    1st shots with 5D
    I got my 5D yesterday and it looks great!

I love the bright viewfinder, large LCD screen, larger photos, full frame, & spot metering. And it feels pretty solid. It reminds me of my beloved EOS3 in a way. Although I still have my EOS3 (aka black beauty), it doesn't get much use anymore.

Today was its first job - a High School Senior portrait out in the country.

5D, 24-70 F2.8, 580 fill (only at times), and reflector.

I am very happy with the image quality so far. Now I just need to give my new 5D a name. Yes, I name all of my cameras.

By the way... I really like this guys eyes...

Kathy
  • 03-16-2006, 10:03 PM
    Cowgirl
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: 1st shots with 5D
    Just one more.

Kathy
  • 03-16-2006, 11:03 PM
    Lionheart
    yeah...I've been thinking about the 5D, but I'm thinking about the 1Ds as well for a full frame DSLR. I really miss the brighter viewfinder of the film SLRs. Nice portraits. Really captures that withdrawn tough dude 'tude :-)
  • 03-16-2006, 11:45 PM
    jar_e
    Great shots Kathy. Glad to see the new gear went well without and major problems! Your shots definately bring through the tough "jock" type feel!

Well done.
  • 03-17-2006, 10:28 AM
    Photo-John
    Viewfinder
    Tough guy doesn't know how to smile? :p

Glad you like the new camera. The bright viewfinder is the most immediately noticeable difference with that camera, isn't it? We quickly lose track of how small the usual digital SLR viewfinder is. And then you try the 5D and the viewfinder feels sooooo good.

Please post a review after you've shot a few jobs with it.
  • 03-17-2006, 10:48 AM
    Lionheart
    Re: Viewfinder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Tough guy doesn't know how to smile? :p

I'll bet this guy could use orthodontic treatment. Might be why he isn't smiling. I see a lot of kids who don't smile because their smile is unattractive.
  • 03-17-2006, 04:48 PM
    Cowgirl
    ha, ha!

Actually he has braces. I have a few shots of him smiling but I just didn't post them. Actually he has a pretty good smile - but he wanted the tough dude look. I think I got that!

Tomorrow my 5D will capture its first wedding, 20D, and 10D will be backups. Soon my 20D will be going in to Canon. After it is cleaned and repaired, I might sell both my 20D and 10D for another newer body.

Today UPS guy delivered my 85 1.8 lens - OH BABY! My UPS guy is awesome! I wasn't there to sign and he called my cell to authorize leaving the package anyway.

I can't wait to shoot more natural light photos with that! fun, fun.

Kathy
  • 03-17-2006, 06:33 PM
    Liz
    Congratulations Kathy! :D 5D! Great camera. Nice shots too.

I'm really happy for you. I can't help but reflect back a couple of years! Remember - you weren't too sure about digital. I recall trying to "sell" you on the Digital Rebel 300D. ;)

You've come a long way Baby!

Congratulations on the 85mm/f1.8. That's an excellent low light lens.

Liz
  • 03-17-2006, 06:41 PM
    ken1953
    Congrats on the new camera Kathy. Kim and I are getting used to our new Pentax's..And like you, we're waiting on additional lenses. Sitting on pins and needles waiting...hehe...We'll be looking forward to more pics from that 5D...
    Ken
  • 03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
    Lionheart
    Aha! I suffer from foot in mouth disease yet again-aarrr-holy embarassment city. I guess he would look better without a smile shot if he's wearing hardware. However, I'm working on a poster for the practice-a group shot of 4 boys and 4 girls in glorious metal lined smiles to promote orthodontics in the practice, as well as a poster with our adult patients to promote that braces aren't just for kids. :-)