ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

1st photo post in a LONG time...

thought I'd give a sample of the kind of stuff I still enjoy doing...street candids, taken in downtown Philadelphia a little while ago. This fellow is a 'regular' downtown, and is often lost in his own thoughts. Leica M6, 75/2, Delta 100 (yeah, I still use film). :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st photo post in a LONG time...-smoke-copy.jpg  

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: 1st photo post in a LONG time...

Beautiful tone Charles, both to the eye and mind.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks, Michael. :-)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Hey Charles, I wish I had half of your vision for this type of work. I love how you captured the smoke. Seeing this makes me want to go back and look through you pbase gallery again.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Hi Charles,

It's good to see you posting again. I'm with Michael, wishing I had half your vision for street candids. I'm really looking forward to seeing more.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

This is very fine work. The framing is great and the moment captured is one that can have the viewer thinking about what is going on in this mans mind or life for that matter. The smoke from the cigarette adds to the mood as well. What I like most, aesthetically here, is how the lighting is from the back, creating highlights on the hair, face, coat, and helping to bring out the smoke trails. The subject stands almost as a silhouette against the lighter background but all the details in the shadows are still seen. Great exposure. Very nice work.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks, guys. :-)

Gary summed up everything I would say about this image. Let me just say again that it's great to have you back posting. You have inspired many of us and with photos like this will continue to be an inspiration and a leader on these boards.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Talking yeah, I still use film

Nothing wrong with that! I do most of my shooting with my D200 these days, but there's a roll of Provia 100 in the K1000 that I'm about 1/3 through. And I've got 10 rolls of Sensia 100 waiting to be used.

Great shot - as always. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's great having you active on the forums again!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Love the way the smoke meanders through the picture and the facial expression lost in thought.

My only niggle with the photo is the nose of the car jutting out otherwise perfect.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

As a relative new commer to PR, I was most impressed with your photo gallery Charles !
    Your new post is an inspiration, proof that film still has a place in photography, and it's the photographer that makes the shot count !
    . . . thankyou for sharing. :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Rivman; 01-19-2007 at 08:19 AM.
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Film ROCKS! RF's Rock Too!
    And So Does Your Photograph!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: yeah, I still use film

Hey Charles...

Love the fact that you are able to see the smoke from his cigarette. Perfect exposure with the backlighting, and nice composition.

Gotta love Delta 100. I have a box full of 4x5 Delta 100 that I hope to use this weekend. It's good stuff!!

Thanks for posting.
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thanks again. I've always been technology challenged, find that I use just a fraction of what the D200 can do, use even less than that with Photoshop 7, and always find my comfort zone with the MF, manual exposure, and CW metering of the Leica. When I get lazy, the AF Contax G2 also winds up in the bag. I might be one of the few people left in the world who actually enjoys scanning negs and deciding what kind of film to use. :-)

I've really been impressed with the quality in the images posted here on PR. It's been fun seeing how much a lot of people have improved over the past few years. Though I haven't posted, I've been a pretty steady lurker and have enjoyed seeing just how helpful and friendly the regulars, as well as the new members, act here on PR. Great place...sorry I left over a disagreement some time ago...hope to get back to regular posting here again.

Well, for being film, that's a pretty great shot!

Good to have you back!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Thanks again. I've always been technology challenged, find that I use just a fraction of what the D200 can do, use even less than that with Photoshop 7, and always find my comfort zone with the MF, manual exposure, and CW metering of the Leica. When I get lazy, the AF Contax G2 also winds up in the bag. I might be one of the few people left in the world who actually enjoys scanning negs and deciding what kind of film to use. :-)

I've really been impressed with the quality in the images posted here on PR. It's been fun seeing how much a lot of people have improved over the past few years. Though I haven't posted, I've been a pretty steady lurker and have enjoyed seeing just how helpful and friendly the regulars, as well as the new members, act here on PR. Great place...sorry I left over a disagreement some time ago...hope to get back to regular posting here again.
    I was looking to add a lens or two for my Leica clone, and had sticker shock! I guess I will be able to by to add the lens after I win the lottery.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

That really is a stellar image. Glad to have you back!
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

You still have that gifted eye Charles!!!! Great to see you around again.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information