ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 roll TMAX 100=...

My girlfriend's 8yo daughter Skyla had been asking a lot of questions whenever i had film hanging so I picked her up an Olympus Stylus 120 P&S. Here's a few shots from her first roll. The last shot is one of her on Halloween that Carla took using her camera. All are completely unedited, just scanned and resized to 640 max length/width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 roll TMAX 100=...-sky-1.jpg   1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 roll TMAX 100=...-sky-2.jpg   1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 roll TMAX 100=...-sky-3.jpg   1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 roll TMAX 100=...-sky-4.jpg   1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 roll TMAX 100=...-sky-5.jpg  

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: 1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 rolls TMAX 100=...

Well tell Skyla these are some great shots. :thumbsup: That was very nice of you to get her hooked on film at such a young age. First time is free, and then she has to pay, right? Seriously, that was an awesome gift, and she seems to have enjoyed it.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Well tell Skyla these are some great shots. :thumbsup: That was very nice of you to get her hooked on film at such a young age. First time is free, and then she has to pay, right? Seriously, that was an awesome gift, and she seems to have enjoyed it.

Paul
    It's all good. Before I made the jump to MF, I bought a ton of expired 35mm film on Ebay. The main thing is the batteries.. GULP... I don't remember the exact size it takes but, they are $6 each and the manual says to expect about 15 rolls per battery. Given that she likes to play a lot with the zoom and flash, I'm expecting about 10 rolls per battery I'm looking forward to her getting back home. She's with her father now and hasn't seen her shots yet. We'll see if that gets her completely hooked or not.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Re: 1 8-year old+1 Oly P&S+1 roll TMAX 100=...

add a "slot meter" to the camera in which she has to drop a quarter every time she pops a shot. that way will she think about what she is shooting, it will teach her to "fill the frame," not waste a shot AND it will pay for the batteries !!! problem solved.

tell her it's a part of her ongoing education !!

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    The main thing is the batteries..
    Check ebay for this too - you might have to buy a bunch of them but it'll probably be worth it. My old Fuji S2 used two CR123's (along with 4xAA's) and the lithium batteries are really expensive by the 2-pack locally but cheap on ebay. No-name brand, but they worked just like anything else.

Nice that she's getting exposed (pun!) to photography at a young age. Happened to me too because of my uncle. Look where it got me! Wait - no, don't.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I see some thought and consideration in those shots and a good eye developing.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

3l, that's a great idea...LOL Though she's a cheapskate. She would never go for it. Her pennies are her pennies. Kids...

a_v, I just checked and it does take the CR123's. Hadn't even thought of checking Ebay for those. Not sure why as I buy everything else on there...LOL I'll have to check it out as those damn batteries are expensive

Frog, you may be right but, she's still got a long way to go. I lost count of the number of the half frame shots of the cats' butts...LOL
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I had a pare of the CR123's for my old Olympus C-3030 and those batteries lasted over a month of shooting before they gave up the ghost(1200 photos mixed with flash). As a side note the 650ma batteries only lasted for 500 mixed photos.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll last a while. The camera itself only takes one battery. Right now I'm just going by the stated battery life of 15 rolls per battery.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

do they do a "plug the kid in to a re-charger" type thing..

searched on e-bay but no luck so far !!

Unluckily the CR123 are not rechargeable. You my be able to find a CR123 battery which may be rechargeable but I have not seen one. In a pinch you can use AA batteries but with a much shorter battery life.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information