ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: prints sticking

prints sticking

Hi chaps ... I don't use it often but once in a while I like to make a few prints using my little HP photosmart 325 and I'm pretty happy with it ... the prints are a little darker than the on-screen image but generally I can live with it and if it were more important I could always open in photoshop and sort it (not sure if it's possible to easily edit the printers own settings) ... anyway to the point - the prints seem to take forever to dry. It may be because I use cheap paper (but these prints are not worth shelling out fortunes for genuine HP paper) but if anyone has any other suggestions the advice would be most welcome. many thanks Roger

Re: prints sticking

It's slower but print one at a time and carefully remove them and set them where they can dry while you print the next one.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Roger,

Are you using HP's inks? I find that if you use other compatible inks they do take longer to dry than HP's own inks. HP's own take 24hours to completely dry according to their specs.

I have a Canon and Epson printers and they recommend to leave the prints for 24 hours to dry.

Roger

It depends if the paper your using is a high enough quality to accept the inks lots of variables to think of.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks chaps .... I'll try and be more patient ... wow 24 hours !

Regards Roger

roger, what kind of paper are you using? I buy cheap paper from my local Costco and it gives great prints!!! (Maybe you don't have a Costco?) Just thought I would ask.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Hi Western Guy ... I'm in the Uk and we do have Costco but not too close to where I live (though in North American travel terms you'd probably think it across the street) but I generally use cheap paper though I stick to HP inks .... I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. Strange that I don't seem to have the problem printing A4 on my canon MP600 !

regards Roger

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    roger, what kind of paper are you using? I buy cheap paper from my local Costco and it gives great prints!!! (Maybe you don't have a Costco?) Just thought I would ask.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    WG

This is getting confusing - now that there's another Roger from the UK.

As for me I have tried a supermarkets own brand TESCO heavy weight which isn't bad,
    Kodak paper Glossy Picture Paper, HP paper, Epson paper and a few others but always come back to Canon for the quality prints.

Roger

PS they are all slow to dry.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Yes PAPER does make a difference. The other day I mixed up some paper with the photo paper (it was James Coat high gloss cover paper) and some Costco brand Glossy photo paper. It was impossible to tell them apart, until you printed on them... it looked like a impressionist painting it was so bad!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information