ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

$40 portrait lens

I have this Sears branded lens I picked up on eBay last year. It's a 135mm 2.8 with a macro feature that can be off or on in varying degrees. The macro feature doesn't impress me, it adds an odd glow that apparently some like but not me so far. I got it because I wanted a fast-ish lens of that length and for $40 it seemed the risk wasn't too high. It was a Ricoh mount from the 1980's which is a slight variation of the Pentax K mount. I had to do some minor surgery (removing the "Ricoh pin" - a 10 minute job) to safely put it on my K-5 without risking it getting stuck. It's manual focus but auto-aperture so I can shoot in Av mode.
    Last weekend my lovely wife told me she wants a new profile pic for Facebook and asks if we can do a little shoot for it. Always game for some shooting, especially if it's of a beautiful woman, I quickly agreed.
    We set up in a room with a big translucent blind that would be the primary light source. In late morning it's like a giant softbox. Then on the opposite side I set up my Sigma flash at 1/8 in an umbrella high to the right for some hair highlights and fill on that side. We got several photos I really liked but I think this one may be my favorite. This is shot wide open for a shallow DOF. What I like about this lens is it's sharp enough without being razor sharp like my "real" macro lens. It seems just right for a portrait and I hope to do some more with it.
    I did a little bit of skin smoothing under her eyes and a little sharpening on her eyes and that's about it for retouching. She doesn't need much for being 41! I just thought I'd share because I liked the outcome and because I wanted to point out you don't always have to use expensive optics to get a decent photo.

Anyone else got a bargain bin lens they really like?

IMGP3703 by MattB.net, on Flickr

Re: $40 portrait lens

Nice shot Matt. I have been converting old Leica R lenses to Sony A mount. The 90mm 2.8 is a beautiful lens 90mm on full frame and 135mm on my cropped camera the a77. I killed two birds with one lens.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks!
    I imagine that Leica ran a little more than $40. If not where do I get mine?

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Thanks!
    I imagine that Leica ran a little more than $40. If not where do I get mine?
    Yes a little more than $40.00 but you would be surprised if you shop around. Since they are used in full manual I can get the older versions with just a couple or no contacts or cams they are called and get one made in Canada and not Germany. Also watch Craigslist.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information