Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Wow now how'd he do that? The backgrounds gone white!

People of photography, I would like to draw your attention to the following link:

http://www.tipsfromthetopfloor.com/w.../ebayphoto.jpg

I'm at a wits end trying to work out how this snappers managed to make the background completely white. I'm ashamed of my carpet and want to hide it from view. Anyone shed some light?

Be nice i'm still a newbie!

Re: Wow now how'd he do that? The backgrounds gone white!

Probably has extracted it and put in to another image that is white, as the shadows seem to be gone, or has done a white balance and rubbed out the shadows with an eraser.

What are you trying to do and how are you doing it, show something here so we can get an idea and then help.

Hi peter, I'm trying to do the exact same thing albeit with a different item. Id like a simple step by step guide of how to vanish the background as he has done. I've been looking about for days and cant seem to find any information? I'd had a play about with ArcSoft Photostudio 5.5 and I just cant do it. I'm on level 3 of the Newbie ladder. I understand my camera now I'm trying the touching up skills. Hope that gives you an insight into me! Cheers!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Curves or levels tool in photoshop...

What you're seeing is photoshop 101. The effect is easily done using either the Curves or Levels tool. If you notice, the entire contrast of the "after" image is bumped up quite a bit.

Simply set the bg as your white point, adjust the shadows and midtones, and erase select and remove the rest of the unwanted shadows from around the item.

One thing you can do to make editing a bit easier is to raise the item off the bg (or in your case, the carpet) and try to put as much light as possible on that bg (without overexposing the item of course). The lighter the bg with less harsh shadows, the easier it will be to either whiten or remove.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

This effect can be accomplished with simple lighting techniques. I am including an example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wow now how'd he do that? The backgrounds gone white!-radio-resize.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gimp
    This effect can be accomplished with simple lighting techniques. I am including an example.
    Gimp,

Don't leave us in suspense - how was it done?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

The method is not too difficult for small items. First you need a pure white background. I use white bristolboard available at most stationary stores. It is also available in many colors. I form it into a curved "sweep" using a couple of large bookends and clothespins.The lighting consists of two aluminum reflectors , about 10 inches in diameter. The front of the reflectors is covered with diffusion material. I use drafting mylar as it does not seem to create a color cast and is fairly resistant to heat. The lights use 100 watt household bulbs. The lights are positioned as close as possible to the subject which is about 9 inches in front of the rear of the sweep. This minimizes the light falloff toward the rear. The camera, a Canon G6, is mounted on a tripod. The typical exposure for this setup is 1/10 sec.@f6.3 using tungsten white balance and an ISO setting of 50.
    Sometimes a white cardboard reflector is used to lighten any shadows. I am attaching another sample shot today along with a photo of the setup. I hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wow now how'd he do that? The backgrounds gone white!-zenza-bronica.jpg   Wow now how'd he do that? The backgrounds gone white!-setup00103.jpg  

Gimp

Thanks for the explanation and the photo of the setup helps a load. Now to go and try it.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information