Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Lastolite HiLite Background help

Hi, newbie question I'm sure. I've been curious about the LastoLite HiLite kits, they look pretty good. However, whilst it appears to come with a light that illuminates the kit (removing the need for a back light), I've seen some reviews that would lead me to believe that it is just the background deal with no light. If anyone could confirm for me what the deal is with this, I'd be super greatful.

Also, since I will at some point be needing a light to focus on the subject as well, could anyone suggest a decent (though cheap!) model? And I guess a back light as well if the LastoLite doesn't fulfil what I thought it did.

Cheers guys.
    Rob

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Lastolite HiLite Background help

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Rob
    Hi, newbie question I'm sure. I've been curious about the LastoLite HiLite kits, they look pretty good. If anyone could confirm for me what the deal is with this, I'd be super greatful...
    Hi Rob. Welcome to the forum and site. I think we need more info before we can give you any advice. Lastolite makes a ton of products. What exactly are your needs and what products are you refering to?

Judging by the B&H web site, the basic Lastolite backdrops do not come with any lighting. Now it's quite possible that other sites may offer a backdrop and light in "kit" form, but I haven't seen it.

As for lights in general, feel free to browse other threads and posts in this forum. It is a very common topic and one that has been answered by many people many times. A lot of folks are in the same boat as you...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

http://www.lastolite.com/hilite-backgrounds.php
    This would be the product. Certain phrases on this and other sites seem to imply that there might be a light that comes with it, but then other times its less clear. Cheers.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Rob
    This would be the product. Certain phrases on this and other sites seem to imply that there might be a light that comes with it...
    Well, the link you post goes to a product page for just the background. No lights included. They probably should be more clear on this, but trust me, if lights were included, they would come out and say so, not imply it...

The lights in the photos are simply to show the viewer the different setup possibilites using their background products...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ah, thanks alot for your help!

Thread Information