Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Setting Up Studio - Need help

Hello,

I have a 50D with 24-70, 70-200, 85 1.2, Sigma 17-70 lenses. I've done a few location shoots with all natural lighting. Now I am planning to buy Studio strobes to expand my skills.

I have a definite budget, but dont know what to get.

I can spend upto 1500$ on this.

Please help me.

My needs are as follows:

1. Location as well as indoor.
    2. Full body shots
    3. Single model or max two models.
    4. 1500$ to spend

Re: Setting Up Studio - Need help

This is a very subjective area, and there are lots of choices. Whatever you end up with, also consider the cost of modifiers as well, because you may end up using quite a few different ones, depending on what result you're trying to achieve. If you want to do location work, you'll need enough power to keep up with and sometimes overcome the ambient light so 300ws heads may not be enough, and battery packs generally bump up the overall cost considerably.

I'm not a lighting expert but over the past year I've shot with:
    Alien Bees
    Balcar
    Broncolor
    Elinchrom
    Interfit
    Norman
    Novotron
    Photogenic
    ProFoto
    Speedtron
    White Lightning

All performed adequately, though some much more adequately than others, and it's usually directly relevant to the price tag.

Alien Bees are cheap, but offer inconsistent color temperature from shot to shot
    Balcars work well, but you will have to scour CraigsList and Ebay to find them
    Broncolor / Elinchrom / ProFoto / Speedtron are all very good but out of your price range if you want *new*.
    Interfit and Photogenic both make excellent monolights that should be within budget
    Normans are a bit overpowered for digital work, you'll end up using "cutters" even at the lowest settings.
    Novotron heads worked well, though modifiers seem to be limited
    White Lightnings work better than Alien Bees (same manufacturer) but the ones I used had the most irritating modifier attachment system I've ever seen, making them difficult and cumbersome to change out.

Studio lighting doesn't stop with the lights either, there are all sorts of things you're going to need and might not even know it yet, so you're probably better off looking for used equipment in places like CraigsList and Ebay so there's enough reserve capitol for light stands, booms, gobos, backdrop systems, pocket wizards, light meters, and all the other incidentals...

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to lighting equipment. There's a reason why Profoto stuff cost so much and Alien Bees costs so little. I can almost always tell when someone used expensive studio gear in an image. There's something about the quality/gradation of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    White Lightnings work better than Alien Bees (same manufacturer) but the ones I used had the most irritating modifier attachment system I've ever seen, making them difficult and cumbersome to change out..
    My beauty dish and grid are severely dented from having become detached and crashing to the floor so many times due to the awful mounting system. Luckily, this hasn't happened on any shoots I really gave a crap about. Luckier still is that the dish hasn't fallen on anyone's head.
    Last edited by draymorton; 12-03-2009 at 07:40 AM.

After Posting this same question on some other forums also, I found that people are mostly buying AlienBees or Genesis. I've came accross a forum who looks die hard fans of Elinchrom Products.

I think I am inclining towards Elinchrom. But not sure if my budget will allow me to buy all the stuff I will be needing.

Does anyone have any recommendations / photos or links on a home studio. I have an unfinished basement that I need help designing an area for a photo studio. Dimensions requirements? and Design
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

Alrite Friends. I'm getting a good deal on Elinchrom Strobes http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...STRK:MESELX:IT So I will be b uying them tonight. Thankyou

I am wondering if the guy who asked about dimensions, etc. for his basement studio received any replies? (None posted here, obviously!) I am doing the same thing. Have a finished room 16 x 16, getting ready to get lighting, etc. Looking for any and all input on what I should be buying, doing, etc. Thanks!
    Nancy

Thread Information