Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Vivitar Metal Shoe

I have two Vivitar 285s. One is the HV and the other is not. The non HV had a broken hot shoe which I replaced with a metal one. I combined the red, green and white wires together and soldered them to the center contact and the black to the other contact. I tested the flash thouroghly and everything works fine. I was researching these hot shoes on the internet and discovered different wiring methods, the most comon is the connect just the red wire to the cener contact and seal the green and white wires.. Will my wiring configuration fail in the future? I shoot weddings and I need my equipment to be as reliable as my Vivitars are.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Vivitar Metal Shoe

Quote Originally Posted by res3567
    I have two Vivitar 285s. I combined the red, green and white wires together and soldered them to the center contact and the black to the other contact. Will my wiring configuration fail in the future?
    You'll probably have a tough time finding someone on this site that has tried this and can comment on it. But, you never know. You're best bet may be to contact someone that services these types of flashes, and see what they think...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information