Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

What lighting kit should I buy?

This will be my first lighting kit. I want to start with 2 maybe 3 lights to use for group photos in weddings. I see that many people use the Alien-Bees, but I am not sure what to buy. I called and B&H to price them out and that suggested that I try NOML400R2k http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

I like these because I want to be wireless (plan on buying a pocket wizard), but I would like to compare other kits similar to the Norman kit.

What are the opinions of the board?
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: What lighting kit should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapac
    What are the opinions of the board?...
    Well, there's no doubt that's a good kit, but I guess what you have to ask yourself is whether you really want the radio receivers to be built-in or not.

If you're going to be satisfied with just two lights, or if you plan to buy all your fixtures in the future with built-in radio controls, that's fine. But remember these built-in receivers can only be used with these lights.

The nice thing about a modular system is that you can use the receivers with any of your lights (assuming you have the connector cords).

IOW, say you have five seperate lights, of which you may only use two or three for any given setup. It would be much cheaper to have two or three seperate receiver units than to buy each light with one built-in.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks for the response, Steve. What's a good setup to start with? I need suggestion as this is new and a bit confusing to me
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

I would consider this also.

It's Canadian dollars and I have the $24 ebay triggers and receivers that work just fine.

Cheers, Don

I have a similar question about starting lighting equipment. I just finished watching an interesting 2.5 hour video called "A hands-on guide to creative lighting featuring Nikon Speedlights". Although I have Canon gear, this video was still interesting and useful at understanding studio and on-site lighting. My question is "why not just use a bunch of remote flashes with all the traditional studio accessories?" - snoots (they make them for flashes), umbrellas, reflectors, etc. They do it in this video and it works pretty well. No cables. Easy to carry arround. I can see where without modeling lights there would be more trial and error. And at $250-$350 good quality Nikon or Canon flashes are pretty pricey if you buy 4 or 5 of them! But you also get the advantage of the cameras exposure system - so less futsing around with a light meter, cables, power supplies?

Is it reasonable to use nothing but a bunch of flashes for your lights (with appropriate reflectors, umbrellas, etc), or is this just a gimmiky idea to sell more Speedlights? I really like the concept - just wanted others opinions.

Also in the video I mentioned, one of the authors (Bob Krist) shows a great portable lighting kit he put together - umbrellas, flash units, filters, stands, all kinds of neat attachements for flashes to effect the light, and it all fit in this neat carry-on-sized box that looked something like a Pelican1510 rugged plastic box. If you wanted a lighting kit that you could use casually at home where you could live with a lack of ruggedness, but also be able to take it anywhere, this seemed like a great concept.

Wedding and Portrait Photog

As far as flash units go, I love Alien Bees. If you're looking to get into continuos lighting, DO NOT invest in Westcott Spiderlights. The are cheaply made and over-priced. I learned the hard way.

Thread Information