• 03-17-2004, 07:56 PM
    joebloetemp
    using studio flash lights for home lighting?
    Hello, dumb question:
    My girlfriend's father passed away some time ago and she has inherited a big black box with three snazzy looking Elinchrom Unipack lights. (studio flash lights?)
    They are a black square, with a 100w light, with the flasher light going around it, it has an on switch, pilot, and flash, and a dial for 1/1 or 1/2. The are type 20701, 110v, 200w, 50hz, and 4a. (there's also three tri-pods, 4 white umbrellas, and a flash-wire).
    We have no use for studio lights, but are in dire need of more lighting around the house (concrete ceilings) and would like to use these as they look pretty cool and give off a lot of light. My only concern is that the flash is all charged up all the time they are on. Would it be relatively safe (for the lights) to use them as house lighting (just on the pilot setting and at 1/2)? They would be on for at most 4 hrs at a time once a day in the evening.
    Any input would be much appreciated, as we don't want to wreck them, but she doesn't really want to sell them either.

[cliff notes]
    Girlfriend inherited Studio flash lights (Elinchrom Unipacks) and we'd like to use them for home lighting (4hrs/day) but are concerned it may wreck them with the flash being charged up and all.

thanx!
  • 03-17-2004, 10:37 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joebloetemp
    Hello, dumb question:
    My girlfriend's father passed away some time ago and she has inherited a big black box with three snazzy looking Elinchrom Unipack lights. (studio flash lights?)
    They are a black square, with a 100w light, with the flasher light going around it, it has an on switch, pilot, and flash, and a dial for 1/1 or 1/2. The are type 20701, 110v, 200w, 50hz, and 4a. (there's also three tri-pods, 4 white umbrellas, and a flash-wire).
    We have no use for studio lights, but are in dire need of more lighting around the house (concrete ceilings) and would like to use these as they look pretty cool and give off a lot of light. My only concern is that the flash is all charged up all the time they are on. Would it be relatively safe (for the lights) to use them as house lighting (just on the pilot setting and at 1/2)? They would be on for at most 4 hrs at a time once a day in the evening.
    Any input would be much appreciated, as we don't want to wreck them, but she doesn't really want to sell them either.

[cliff notes]
    Girlfriend inherited Studio flash lights (Elinchrom Unipacks) and we'd like to use them for home lighting (4hrs/day) but are concerned it may wreck them with the flash being charged up and all.

thanx!

Hmm. I don't think it would hurt the lights, but it sure would hurt your electric bill I think. It takes a lot of power to charge those capacitors.

Why don't you do a trade? I'm sure someone out there would be willing to ship some home lighting your way in exchange for these puppies. I would not be interested, not why I'm suggesting it, just thought it might work well for you and whoever might be interested.

Good luck.
  • 03-18-2004, 12:24 PM
    Asylum Steve
    The best solution...
    Using pro lighting for home "objects d'art" is not a new concept by any means. In fact, countless hightech or industrial items have been adapted to create edgy home decor over the years. My decorating philosophy has always been, "FUNCTION FOLLOWS FORM".

IOW, I find something I think looks cool, then figure out what to use it for...

Still, Seb is right. There is a possibility that you can have your modeling lights on without the flash charging, but it's not likely. Otherwise, there will be a significant power use from these units.

If you are content to simply use these units as household lighting, then the best solution would be to have the flash wiring and circuitry removed, then have them rewired as hot lights. Other than you losing some good photo equipment in the process, it's not a big deal...

I did this with two large scoop Photogenic flash lamps. I also "inherited" them, found they weren't practical to use as strobes, had a friend rewire them, and used them as very cool (although very HOT) home light fixtures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebloetemp
    Hello, dumb question:

[cliff notes]

thanx!

• 06-13-2004, 07:00 PM
    PaulDDB
    Elinchrome
    Hi
    Studio flash (good flash) is expensive - much more expensive than the camera gear. Elinchrome is the Rolls-Royce of studio flash.

If there's any chance of charging the capacitors while using the modelling lights only, that's a no-no. Any accidental discharge of mega-joules at 900 volts will give you and your girlfriend permanent curly hair. It's one hell of a wallup. Plus, using the lamps also switches on the cooling fans which are intended to cool after flash discharges.

SELL the Elinchromes to a photographer, and with the money buy some awesome home lighting.
    Paul