Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Using laptop to view photos "real time"

I have Nikon D700 and MacBook. I would like to view photos as I take them on the laptop so subject and I can view them in larger format. What software and connections do I need to do this?

drg

Re: Using laptop to view photos "real time"

Welcome to Photography Review!

What you are wanting to do is called Tethered Shooting. A USB cable (or with the Nikon there are additional options including HDMI output) is connected and the images are written out to the computer after each shot. Then it/they can be viewed/evaluated on the larger display.

The Nikon Capture (NX2) software will do most of what you probably want initially. There are more advanced and flexible solutions.

With a MacBook you have both the option of Aperture and Lightroom software programs. Adobe Photoshop Bridge will also allow, though at a much slower rate per image, the same facility and with less flexibility for a photographer's workflow.

I work with another photographer with some regularity right now who shoots entirely Nikon. When working with their cameras we shoot and display on a 720i (once in a while a 1080i) HDTV screen. As the Nikon directly supports the HD output it makes for an easy and impressive output for the customer and the models. When shooting tethered to a Mac (or PC) a direct connection to the computer via the software allows for a gallery to be built and evaluated. Or you can shoot one image at a time a look and adjust, such a preparing lighting, testing poses and/or other combos.

The cables that come with the D700 (perhaps add some extensions ) are all you need for the camera. The Mac may need a small table/stand and be sure to run from an AC adapter/source as else you will run down the battery in no time at all!

There are a couple of non-intuitive techniques with the software, so either reference the manuals or post a question and we will try to get you 'all hooked up'!

Let me know if this helps!!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks. Your info was a lot of help. I now even know what it's called. I'll let you know how it works when I try it next few days. jammarrac

I have the same question using a MacBook Pro and a Canon 7D. Any suggestions how to set this up? Also, I am a new mac user and am trying to understand when I should use iphoto versus aperture versus elements. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thread Information