Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

"Glamour" Shoot advice if you will!

First off, a quick hey to those I know, sorry haven't been posting much lately.... and hello to those I don't know.

I have gotten myself a shoot, glamour, or nude to be more specific. Now my first attempt at it was nothing short of a miserable failure. In my opinion anyway.

In any case, for this one, the models are the ones who asked for it, so handling them, is not much of a hassle...

What I do have some issues with, are basically 2 things, ordered in least of my worries to borderline scary:

1- Lighting... is there anything other than the usual? I am working with 3 lights... won't use all 3, but they are there. Other than that, we will have a black BG and some props... am i missing something?

2- Second, what am i looking for? It is a personal question... I know... but I have done a lot of research, and I am still drawing a blank... so if anyone out there has a pointer into which direction I should head (or could) I would be eternally grateful....

Thank you in advance for all the input, and I will be seeing you shortly back up in the critique section.... getting ready to get bombarded

Cheers,

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Re: "Glamour" Shoot advice if you will!

Check out 1x.com .. you might have to sign up and be logged in to search, but search "nude" (nudity/naked/etc) Extremely tasteful and artistic. Should give some inspiration.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Don't know about Marc but I'm inspired.

Marc, I don't know what you are looking for. Are you talking photographic quality or self expression through photographic medium?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the site, there are some impressive shots there... inspiring yes... but what about a full session.... I have found some inspiring photos throughout my research, but nothing that pointed towards a photoshoot session.

Here's my situation: I've had portrait shoots and these were a lot of fun in planning, preparation and execution. I know how to think of the poses, I can imagine them ahead of time. I can easily create the theme. When it comes to nude however, I somehow get stuck.

It is not a lack of ideas i'm suffering of, it's seeing ideas in nude.

The models i'll be working with are 2 dancers, opposites in ways: One is older the other young (50's 20's), short hair/long hair, medium height/ tall.... and they dance together in a troupe.

Now initially the idea was to have them choreograph or improv a dance, with me snapping. Somehow that felt like cheating. So when i tried to visualize myself asking for specific poses... i started shooting blanks.

With nudes, I see more physical expressionism... i guess that is why i am stuck....

Thank you both for your input though...
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusK
    Now initially the idea was to have them choreograph or improv a dance, with me snapping. Somehow that felt like cheating. So when i tried to visualize myself asking for specific poses... i started shooting blanks.

With nudes, I see more physical expressionism... i guess that is why i am stuck....
    Let the girls get on with it. They are professionals and they know what they are doing. They've probably got it all worked out already. Your part is to:

1. Provide the technical environment (lights etc). The photographer provides the look of the scene, with the style of lighting he prefers
    2. Observe and know when to shoot. You choose the focal length, the framing, etc.
    3. Enthuse. You are their audience and they need some encouragement. You have to give thel some directions, to correct errors and keep them going when they are doing something good (just like in portraits)

Doing a model shoot is a partnership between the model and the photographer. When you get some experience at nude photography then you can start to add ideas of your own. For the time being profit from your model's experience.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I guess that's the best option... thought about a bit more, and I guess, the time will come later on... Merci beaucoup!
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Thread Information