Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Thread: Sub $600 studio

Needscheaperstudiolightin g

Sub $600 studio

Well I wish to purchase a somewhat complete studio -the backdrop. I shoot a D70 with a couple lenses. I would like opinions on where and what to buy the equipment. As I said Sub $600 I'm not planning on going pro anytime soon so I dont wish to fork over $3000+ seeing as I am a student. If you guys have any begginer gear you're willing to sell I'm listening. I will be shooting mainly portraits in the studio.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Sub $600 studio

Check out alienbees.com and look under packages. A two light set with stands and umbrellas is a good start. They also giver a 10% student and faculty discount.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

If you're looking to get items for even cheaper, contact Livin4Lax on these boards. He'll point you to a few good sellers on Ebay.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Check out alienbees.com and look under packages. A two light set with stands and umbrellas is a good start. They also giver a 10% student and faculty discount.
    Seconded! I grabbed a pair of B800 starter packages for sub $600 with shipping and I love 'em! Though I would recommend getting the heavy duty stands right away so you don't have to repurchase when you get accessories like softboxes which are too top heavy for the basic stands.

Porters Camera Store Employee

Porters will be adding a new Westcott 2 or 3 light kit. This kit will come with a instructional DVD as well as a mat to guide you in positioning of the lights and subjects.
    You can view this kit with the following link:
    http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchan...oduct_Count=23.
    This is for the 2 light kit and a 3 light kit is also available as item number 450694.
    The 2 light kit will sell for 399.99 and the 3 light kit will sell for 499.99
    Jeff Schmitt
    Porters Camera Store Employee
    www.porters.com
    Photography Starts Here

Cool Re: Sub $600 studio

This Westcott kit Jeff included the link for looks like the simplest system i have ever seen.
    it even shows you where to place the lights and subjects for best results,even an instructional DVD.

Thread Information