Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Studio lighting for a real beginner

I want to experiment with studio lighting for portraits of friends and family. I ordered a mid price 'kit' which consisted of 3 x B Series master flash heads, 3 x sync cords for wired connection, various light modifiers, 1 universal radio trigger and a backdrop. I set one light up and the backdrop and fixed the sync cord from my camera (5D) to the back of the strobe. I tested the strobe which flashed correctly. My question is: what settings do I put the camera on to make the strobe fire? Let me just say that there were absolutely no instructions with this kit! I'm getting very frustrated because no settings I try seem to work consistently. I've tried manual, setting the shutter speed to 1/125 but I can't get a reading even with the aperture wide open. I pointed the camera at the softbox and locked the exposure, focussed on my subject and the strobe fired. When I did exactly the same thing 30 seconds later, the strobe did not fire. What am I doing wrong?! Someone help before I go mad!!

Lindsay

Re: Studio lighting for a real beginner

Are they attached wirelessly, or wired? What mode have you set your camera to, and what flash type do you have selected in it? Are you using hotshoe connection?

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Welcome to the site.

I don't have any experince with studio lighting, so I'm going to put my .02 cents out here anyway.

You mentioned you had bought a radio trigger, did you happen to buy the receivers for the other strobes?
    Maybe your strobes need a longer wait time to recharge?
    Or maybe you have a loose conection some place?
    Is your pop up flash on the camera up?

Best of luck to you.

Smile Re: Studio lighting for a real beginner

Thanks for your input! I think I've resolved the problem: I used the radio trigger instead of the sync cord and hey presto, everything works just fine! Didn't anticipate that a sync cord straight out of the box wouldn't work correctly!

regards
    Lindsay

This comprehensive guide has become famous among our customers for the wealth of information that it provides. Written by lighting guru Paul C. Buff, Lighting For Still Photography offers insight into the behavior of light, with applications for photographers. The guide covers various sources of lighting, including continuous light, electric xenon flashes, on-camera flashes, and studio flash systems. Furthermore, the guide offers practical explanations for the myriad terms used to define light intensity, with information on calculating light requirements and determining effective flashpower. With the performance of light explained, the guide then presents real world applications and suggests tried and true techniques for making excellent images. This is an excellent guide and enjoyable read (no stereo-instruction-style writing included!) for all photographers who are interested in understanding lighting better.

Click Here to read Lighting For Still Photography on our website,
    or call us Toll Free at 1-800-443-5542 to request your own copy.

Thread Information