Studio lighting with D300

Printable View

• 10-11-2010, 02:25 PM
    perzaklie
    Studio lighting with D300
    I have an older, but like brand new, Novatron 1500 VR studio lighting outfit that I would like to use with my D300. I called Novatron and they told me it would not work with a digital camera. I was wondering if I could trigger it with a remote flash trigger such as the hahnel? Is this even possible? I would like to hear from someone who know for sure if this will or will not work before I spend any money on a remote flash device.

Many thanks!
  • 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Re: Studio lighting with D300
    Did they say WHY it wouldn't work???
  • 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
    perzaklie
    No, just told me I would have to buy a different setup to use with digital. I didn't question them, just took them at their word. Should I call them back and ask? Do you think it would work with the D300?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Did they say WHY it wouldn't work???

• 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Yeah, I would get a more detailed explanation from them if you can. I found references on the web to folks using these lights with DSLRs (Canon, but it shows they should work with digital). I really hesitate to give you specific advice, as I'm not familiar with Nikon.

The problem with most older (pre-digital) flashes is that their trigger voltage is much too high for the delicate electronics of today's DSLRs. Connecting them directly with a sync cord is a pretty sure way to do damage to your digital camera.

Still, there are ways to get around that, and I would think a wireless triggering system would be safe. But again, make sure you do a little detective work to find out...