Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Profoto Acute 2R 2400

Hello I'm new to this forum, my question is if any one has had experience using the profoto acute 2r 2400 pro kit and if they would recomend buying them over any ohter brand I'm new to stuio lighting and I want something that can grow with me. Am I making the right choice with this set. I havent bought it yet but seriously looking at it.

Thank You.

redred

Re: Profoto Acute 2R 2400

Profoto is definitely top of the line gear. I've shot with the 2400 pack and it will do just about anything you'd need to do. It is strong enough to turn day into night - at 2400ws it will overpower midday sunlight. The only real downside to Profoto is cost - everything is expensive. The replacement flashtubes for the D4 heads are over $400 each, and modifiers are similarly high compared to other systems. As long as that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it. It will easily last 30 yrs and the asymmetric capability insures it will maintain high resale value should you decide to unload it later on

Stinkin' Know-It-All

Re: Profoto Acute 2R 2400

When in the studio, it's always Pro-7 packs, but I've used Acutes since they came out as my location lighting kit. I have 3 2400's and 3 1200's...8 heads, two ringlights, 2 20" beauty dishes and a buttload of other gizmo's....in my 30+ years of doing this they have been the most reliable location strobes I've ever used, so with that in mind they're a very good buy...but they ain't exactly ain't cheap! You can buy Dynalites for less, but I can say that I had to fix Dyna's all the time. Ditto Balcar, ditto Elinchrome, ditto Comet. In the roughly ten years I've used Acute packs I have only had them in the shop a couple of times! Once a 2400 blew a capacitor and anther time the sound board went on a 1200...that's amazing considering the amount of use they get. I've prolly replaced three tubes in that time...again, very good considering the time frame.

All that said, if you're new to studio strobes or if this is your first major buy, I'd say to look at a less expensive way of getting your feet wet. I am seriously impressed with the specs on the new Einstein system from Paul Buff. Crazy amount of control over the power range, seemingly very consistent output and a bargain price for a lot of portable power. Maybe the only downside is the reflector mounting system, but for the most part it works fine unless you're outside in gale force winds.

BT

Thread Information