Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question Student shooting pastel items in studio - help pls!

Hi all - I'm supposed to be shooting in class 2 pastel items (one smooth and one textured) on 5x4 and I was wondering do I shoot it as per normal? ie. products on s-table, main light at 45 degrees and fill light at camera or is there something special i should be considering since my items are pastel? how should i meter for this?

any guidance, help or tips are greatly appreciated - i am totally unsure of myself in the studio and I am trying to prep myself as much possible so I at least LOOK like I know what I'm doing!!!

Thanking you in advance,
    Lost Student

Re: Student shooting pastel items in studio - help pls!

What is this for, is it for a Photography Class you are doing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    What is this for, is it for a Photography Class you are doing ?
    yup it is - any tips?

Tips,

Read the liturature, read what the person setting the assignment is asking, use the knowledge you have to capture the shots needed to submit your assignment.

Otherwise you won't learn anything from doing the Photography Class. The idea is, to learn to interpret what is being asked for, to a point that you are able to capture and display the required photos.

Ghost

Hello,

I'm not sure what the goals or lessons of this photo assignment are but I wonder if it has anything to do with how different types of surfaces reflect light differently and/or how to emphasize texture.

What I would suggest doing is moving your light source (or subject) so that the light strikes it and many different kinds of angles to the camera and look at the result it produces with your bare eyes while standing at the camera. Notice how lighting with strong low angles brings out the texture of the textured surface but does little for the smooth surface. Do the same thing with the smooth surface.

I guess it would help to know what the lesson is that is being taught. All I can say is, look at the light and how your subject interacts with the light. The two different kinds of surfaces will react differently. Be prepared to explain what you saw and why they behave differently.

At the university, I was engaged in photography for myself, sometimes when I needed money, I held photo sessions. And then one day a large company asked me to take a picture at some important event, but then I needed to do my coursework. And then I was lucky to find www.uk.papersowl.com, which did it for me, the work was beautifully written. So then I did a good job and now I have my own photo studio.

Thread Information